Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Alex Smith just set the bar for QB contracts this FA period. Dude got PA$D. 4 years $23.5 per year. $70 mil gtd. Alright so if that's Alex Smith contract, what should Cousins get paid? Alex Smith had the better year but he is also 34. 

He was ranked 7th in PFF last year while Cousins was at 20th.   Lower contract, please.  LOL.

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

He was ranked 7th in PFF last year while Cousins was at 20th.   Lower contract, please.  LOL.

20th? And people want to give him 35M and use his stats as a baseline?

If this is really a bidding war, I hope we lose fast. He said he wants to win first and foremost, so if the Vikings happen to make an offer, I’d imagine he would go there. It’ll come down to more than just 2 teams.

This was Alex Smith's best year. And it was a down year for Cousins relative to his prior two years.

Cousin's will have a higher annual salary. Just a question of how much more. There were apparently 6 teams interested in trading for Smith. The market for Cousins is going to be intense. $30+ doesn't makes sense though. I think he will be somewhere around $25-$30.

I personally don't care, pay Cousins whatever he wants. I'll be 31 when the season starts, I deserve to see a functional QB on this team before I stop caring about the Jets. Even if we overpay him by a few million, it would be well worth it. I'm sick and tired of getting stop gaps, retreads, underachievers. When we draft a QB, we usually never give them a chance to succeed anyway.

I mean seriously, we're a franchise that celebrated a year of Fitzpatrick. Celebrated a season in which McCown looked functional. Don't we deserve a QB that could actually elevate the play of some of our guys?

9 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

PFF is not gospel. It's another form of stat, and stats are impacted by the team and circumstances around the player. Case Keenum was rated lower than 34 last year yet was 9th this year; I wonder why.  

Kirk played his *** off this year albeit 2 games, despite all the injuries to their offensive line, complete teardown of their WR group, a suspect running game, and a lackluster defense. Without Kirk I think they would've been a 2-14 football team, which says a lot about him IMO. 

Is he a top 5 QB in the NFL? No, not right now at least. But he's an ascending player who if built around correctly, will have you in the hunt every year and can be a championship caliber QB. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

PFF is not gospel. It's another form of stat, and stats are impacted by the team and circumstances around the player. Case Keenum was rated lower than 34 last year yet was 9th this year; I wonder why.  

Kirk played his *** off this year albeit 2 games, despite all the injuries to their offensive line, complete teardown of their WR group, a suspect running game, and a lackluster defense. Without Kirk I think they would've been a 2-14 football team, which says a lot about him IMO. 

Is he a top 5 QB in the NFL? No, not right now at least. But he's an ascending player who if built around correctly, will have you in the hunt every year and can be a championship caliber QB. 

I don't subscribe PFF. Only for free.  I wonder if this site covers last 3 or 4 years for grade?

23 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I don't subscribe PFF. Only for free.  I wonder if this site covers last 3 or 4 years for grade?

Alex Smith has graded above an 80 over the last 6 years. Crazy consitency. 

For some reason, Cousins historical grades are not showing up right now. But he graded at 79 this year. The two prior years were in the 80's and before that he was in the 70's. Going off memory for Cousins though. 

But as Jetskid said, this is just one type of stat. They try and adjust for things that you can't control like drops etc. But it's still not perfect. I think Cousins is the better player.

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:
More

Peter Schrager Retweeted NFL Network

Said Jets on Friday. Still believe that’s where Cousins ends up. @gmfb

Good news. It would be clutch if we get him. Fill in a couple more wholes in free agency and then go bpa available in the draft.  

Archived