219th pick- Antoine Green WR North Carolina

Louis Friend

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

He seems like a decent replacement for Quintez Cephus.  Dre Bly may have had some pretty good insight on him since he was on the coaching staff at North Carolina.

He fit everything we were missing in a WR4/WR5 with a chance to be a WR3. Good size, solid run blocking, reliable hands. 

• Like 1

Just now, Karnage84 said:

He fit everything we were missing in a WR4/WR5 with a chance to be a WR3. Good size, solid run blocking, reliable hands. 

And he’ll be signed through next season with Jamo and ARSB. Nice trio to build around. Would like yo see us use him early and often. 

39 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

And he’ll be signed through next season with Jamo and ARSB. Nice trio to build around. Would like yo see us use him early and often. 

I figure he's in line to take over for Marvin or Josh Reynolds. We're probably going to need to add another guy next year earlier but having a guy on the roster in a meaningful rotation is a bonus in Rd 7

• Like 1

After watching his highlights above my thoughts:

1.  He seems like a very smart receiver who know how to find the open areas in the defense 

2.  He is pretty good at making catches in traffic

3.  He has good balance and very good body control

4.  He is really good at using his body to shield/wall-off DBs 

5.  He knows how to be a QBs best friend by coming back to the QB when they leave the pocket

6.  He may not be a burner but recognizes what DBs are trying to do and makes them pay for any mistakes

We need all of that.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

After watching his highlights above my thoughts:

1.  He seems like a very smart receiver who know how to find the open areas in the defense 

2.  He is pretty good at making catches in traffic

3.  He has good balance and very good body control

4.  He is really good at using his body to shield/wall-off DBs 

5.  He knows how to be a QBs best friend by coming back to the QB when they leave the pocket

6.  He may not be a burner but recognizes what DBs are trying to do and makes them pay for any mistakes

We need all of that.  

Also, Drake May is already making NFL throws.  He is putting some of those balls into some really tight windows.  His release is slightly wonky.  His release point is a little low.  Kind of like Phillip Rivers with a much stronger arm.

Edited by Just Want A Title

"not a burner" but 4.47 is plenty fast

I'm being a slappy but this is a really perfect pick to me. I felt all along that the Lions needed a X receiver but I absolutely didn't want one in the early rounds. First of all, it's too much draft resources to use for a #3 or #4 guy, and second, I didn't want a repeat of the mid-00's era where we had three receivers in a measuring contest. Having a lower-drafted rookie along with Amon-Ra and Jamo and then a couple of veterans is a better fit. I totally love the Lions WR group now, 1 through 6, even with Jamo's suspension. I only worry that with all of them, plus LaPorta and two RB's who can run routes and catch, there won't be enough rocks to go around. But again, with a 7th rounder, you don't have to worry so much about keeping him happy.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

"not a burner" but 4.47 is plenty fast

I'm being a slappy but this is a really perfect pick to me. I felt all along that the Lions needed a X receiver but I absolutely didn't want one in the early rounds. First of all, it's too much draft resources to use for a #3 or #4 guy, and second, I didn't want a repeat of the mid-00's era where we had three receivers in a measuring contest. Having a lower-drafted rookie along with Amon-Ra and Jamo and then a couple of veterans is a better fit. I totally love the Lions WR group now, 1 through 6, even with Jamo's suspension. I only worry that with all of them, plus LaPorta and two RB's who can run routes and catch, there won't be enough rocks to go around. But again, with a 7th rounder, you don't have to worry so much about keeping him happy.

I had projected him to be the Lions ideal WR in a post. He's a strong run blocker, good at catching in traffic, offers good size, decent enough speed. Agreed, as a 7th rounder he's going to find his role on the team as WR3 at best. 

I saw this today in an article on day 3 picks that will make an impact.  They make a good point in comparing him to Marvin Jones:

Round 7, No. 219 overall

The Lions have just over 40% of their targets from 2022 available -- 227 of them to be exact -- and while the likes of second-round tight end Sam LaPorta, first-round versatile back Jahmyr Gibbs, and 33-year-old reliable vet Marvin Jones will eat into that opportunity, Detroit isn't super-deep at perimeter receiver. For as much as Jones has maintained a reasonable level of productivity in this long career, he's no longer a real vertical threat. 

That's precisely where Green can step in and stand out. At nearly 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, Green ran 4.47. While his vertical was below average, his 6.99 time in the three-cone indicates above-average quickness, particularly relative to his size. He won on exactly 50% of his contested-catch situations -- actually a reasonably high figure -- and only had three drops on 65 targets. Actually, now that I think of it, there's a lot of Marvin Jones to Green's game. He can be a fun, occasional splash-play option in the Lions' dynamic offense in 2023. Green rocks after the catch too. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-draft-patriots-receiver-colts-cornerback-and-other-day-3-picks-who-will-make-an-instant-impact/

• Like 1