Clowney: Yey or Ney?

UKTexans

I’m leaning nay - health issues and work ethic issues still haunt me with this guy. Mostly the work ethic stuff. 

If we’re looking for an edge, I’d prefer a guy like Matt Ioanniadis or Yannick Ngakoue - younger guys than Clowney, with no real worry of work ethic issues.

• Like 1

I thought about Ngakoue, but he is absolutely awful against the run.

I think Will Anderson would be better suited learning from and playing opposite Clowney.

He loves 1 year deals so it would have no long term risk.

7 hours ago, UKTexans said:

I thought about Ngakoue, but he is absolutely awful against the run.

I think Will Anderson would be better suited learning from and playing opposite Clowney.

He loves 1 year deals so it would have no long term risk.

I’m questioning what sort of example Clowney is setting at this point - this is what, the 4th team that’s not brought him back? Houston, Seattle, Tennessee, Cleveland… am I missing anyone, I legit don’t know.

As you said, he’s in the one-year deal phase of his career, so it’s not a money issue that has teams leaving him unsigned. There’s more about him as a player that just turns teams off…

It could be injury related, he’s never been healthy - but for now, I’d prefer letting someone else take a chance.

EDIT: I’ll add this - I wouldn’t be terribly upset if he returned. Hand down in a Wide 9 might be a good fit for him. I just wouldn’t be expecting much out of him.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why bring in a guy that is high talent/low effort & clearly fishing for a final payday as the talent that partially offset his lackadaisical approach continues to fade away? Even worse, we know this for a fact because he was in our building for his most talented years. Why bring that guy into a young defense that needs leaders guiding them to excellence?

Hard pass. Let someone else give Clownshoe his final freebie before he coasts into retirement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 9:33 AM, Texans02 said:

Why bring in a guy that is high talent/low effort & clearly fishing for a final payday as the talent that partially offset his lackadaisical approach continues to fade away? Even worse, we know this for a fact because he was in our building for his most talented years. Why bring that guy into a young defense that needs leaders guiding them to excellence?

Hard pass. Let someone else give Clownshoe his final freebie before he coasts into retirement.

Nice

• 1 month later...