Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I thought you advocated for trading him after this eyar and drafting a rookie, so we had 4 years of a rookie contract around this team? 

If not, my apologies. 

Let's say Love leads us to the playoffs this year and throws 35+ TDs, what kind of contract does he demand and where's our line in the sand? I wouldn't be comfortable giving him over 40/yr, would aim more for 35m/yr

Edited by Mdpackfan22

3 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Let's say Love leads us to the playoffs this year and throws 35+ TDs, what kind of contract does he demand and where's our line in the sand? I wouldn't be comfortable giving him over 40/yr, would aim more for 35m/yr

So, I'm not good with this sort of thing. Pretty average to bad quarterbacks are getting 40 a year now. Daniel Jones got over 40. How does Love's agent allow him to take less than that if we get to the playoffs? 

Edited by Old Guy

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So, I'm not good with this sort of thing. Pretty average to bad quarterbacks are getting 40 a year now. Daniel Jones got over 40. How does Love's agent allow him to take less than that if we get to the playoffs? 

Daniel Jones contract is looking awful right now. I think if Love demands 45m+, we tag him and give him another year to prove it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Love is going to reset the QB market on his new contract. There's no point in expecting (or wanting) anything different.

23 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Daniel Jones contract is looking awful right now. I think if Love demands 45m+, we tag him and give him another year to prove it

Yeah one of the biggest risks/downsides to drafting a rd 1 QB and not having him play. Lose the rookie wage scale advantage thats huge in the current NFL, and then you have a small window to correctly evaluate your guy (and arguably a pivotal year 2 when there's tape on him for teams to adjust to) before a massive franchise altering financial decision needs to be made.

The only thing more crazy than the US housing market right now is the market for mediocre NFL QB's. 

50 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Trade him if he asks for that.

Give him a set 11% of the salary cap and REALLY reset the QB market or trade him for a haul.

Wentz, Goff, Jones… How many times is this going to happen before a team wakes up?

1 minute ago, MacReady said:

Trade him if he asks for that.

Give him a set 11% of the salary cap and REALLY reset the QB market or trade him for a haul.

Wentz, Goff, Jones… How many times is this going to happen before a team wakes up?

Giving him a set 11% would result in him making more in the long run with the salary cap set to explode with new TV deal coming in. 

9 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Giving him a set 11% would result in him making more in the long run with the salary cap set to explode with new TV deal coming in. 

Exactly.

It’s a win win deal. Too many deals give too much money in any given year. 11% is a gamble on the success of the NFL. I’d bet on that.

Current deals go 60, 30, 47, whatever against the cap. Unless you have a miracle, not even Mahomes is winning in a year where he’s making 17 or more of the cap.

If a team could get a new QB at 10% of the cap, it would be a Moneyball type revolutionary change to the NFL that would instantly be mimicked because a team would dominate.

Imagine Mahomes making only 11 or even 12 percent of the cap each year. The money Mahomes would make and the freedom the Chiefs would have would make Belichick and Brady look like Zimmer and Cousins.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Love is going to reset the QB market on his new contract. There's no point in expecting (or wanting) anything different.

Daniel Jones didn't reset the market despite the fact he took them to the playoffs and won a playoff game.

That's what you're hoping for - something like that compared to the burrow/lamar/Hurts deals.

Not to mention Jones was already at the end of his rookie deal whereas lamar/hurts had 1 year left, and Burrow had 2.

42/year compared to 51/52/55+

• Like 1