#3 OT-Less Talked About But Maybe Most Important Camp Battle?

Just Want A Title

A lot of talk is starting to circulate about what people are watching at OTA, Mini-Camp and Training Camp.  We have been lucky with respect to the health of Taylor Decker and Penei Sewell.  I really haven't heard anyone talk about what is going on at our #3 OT/swing tackle position despite the fact that we don't really have any great proven options that can handle an extended run as a starter.  It seems like that role is wide-open.  The contenders:

Matt Nelson-He was an interesting pick-up and a couple of years ago but his development sort of flat-lined last year.  He hasn't developed into a starter-level OT and he has just Ok as a back-up.  He seems like he is on the bubble this year with so much more competition at #3 OT.

Obina Eze-He was a fairly raw UDFA and spent a year on the practice squad.  His measurables, especially his arm-length, are really good.  He seemed like the type of player that was allowed to get by with his physical attributes in college.  He surprised a little bit by playing three positions in rookie mini-camp despite playing OT for most of his college career.  He has a pretty good shot to take the job just based on his physical potential.  If his technique starts to catch up to his physical tools he has a really good long-term future.  

Connor Galvin-He is a rookie UDFA who started a ton of games with Baylor.  However, his physical profile is a little odd because he is listed at 6'7" but has an arm length under 33-inches.  He is a little too tall for guard and his arm length might cause issues if he has to play either OT spot.  He might have some potential but it seems like he will end up on the PS

Darrin Paulo-He seems to have ideal triangle numbers and came from a Utah program that has produced some solid NFL talent.  He had significant experience at LT and RT in college.  He seems like the type of player who could at back up both OT and OG positions.  I am not sure what to expect from him this year but he could be an under-the-radar player who could end up playing an important role.

Ryan Swoboda-A 2023 UDFA who has played mostly RT, he has really good length.  At 6'9" his height is a double-edged sword.  It works in his favor if he has good enough foot/movement skills and sinks his hips well.  However, if he is more of waist-bender he will lose leverage and allow player to get underneath or around him despite his length.  He has potential but may need a year on the PS to tap into it.

I am not including Halapoulivaati Vaitai in this list because the only position he as played well for the Lions is RG.  My top contender. for the #3OT/Swing Tackle:

1.  Obina Eze-Has the potential to be the type of OT that succeeds because other players have to go so far to get around him or stay out of his reach.  

2.  Darrin Paulo-At 6'5", 315 lbs and 34+" arm-length, his triangle numbers are ideal.  His previous stints with the Broncos and Saints may not have been good opportunities.  He has a good shot to find a roster spot if he can show he can be a decent swing-tackle.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Colby Sorsdal should be on this list as well.  He likely ends up at OG but played both tackle spots in college and may show out enough to be the swing tackle.  I agree that Eze has the inside track to get it but Nelson may win out with his experience unless Eze takes some major strides.  Definitely will be a fun battle in camp and pre-season and hopefully we dont need to depend on any of them regularly. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Colby Sorsdal should be on this list as well.  He likely ends up at OG but played both tackle spots in college and may show out enough to be the swing tackle.  I agree that Eze has the inside track to get it but Nelson may win out with his experience unless Eze takes some major strides.  Definitely will be a fun battle in camp and pre-season and hopefully we dont need to depend on any of them regularly. 

Colby Sordsal has adequate length is experienced enough to step in pretty early for a fifth-round pick.  It seems like the Lions are projecting him to guard but he might be versatile enough to play G or T.

I might be drinking the Kool Aid a little but but the fact that Obina Eze played three different positions in rookie mine-camp and didn't look out of place says a lot with respect to where he was at last year.  As I recall, he the Lions played him mostly at RT and he struggled quite a bit.  You can't teach the his size and length.  If what was holding him back were correctable/coachable issues, he could be a pleasant and much-needed surprise.

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I feel like Galvin is more of an OC prospect and I'm not really sure if he truly has a place on the roster or on the PS. I believe he's also around 293 lbs, which is quite light. 

That is the thing with Connor Galvin.  He has the height of an OT but the arm-length of a GC and his weight isn't great.  You don't see a lot of 6'7" O-Lineman playing C or G because they are at a natural disadvantage with respect to pad-level and leverage.  

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

That is the thing with Connor Galvin.  He has the height of an OT but the arm-length of a GC and his weight isn't great.  You don't see a lot of 6'7" O-Lineman playing C or G because they are at a natural disadvantage with respect to pad-level and leverage.  

Yeah - he's a hybrid of all three OL positions... which isn't a good thing in this case IMO. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

• Like 1

The other thing to consider:  Taylor Decker has played a lot of football and isn't getting any younger.  He was nicked up a little bit in the first half of the year.  We are lucky enough to have Penei Sewell but I suspect the Lions are trying to develop some options if Taylor Decker's play starts to decline.

• Like 2

I was watching a video interview Brad Holmes did with Tim Twentymen after the draft. He stated that the Lions use alot of 3 OT and swing tackle sets and that he drafted Sorsdal for that role. Even though he can play inside, he's someone they can use in that role right away. 

*Another interesting bit I caught, Lions signed 3 UDFAs that they had draft grades on and think could make the team. Holmes called them "extra draft picks".  Obviously, the best 53 will make the roster, but I don't think they were throw aways. I think Ibrahim and Joseph were two of the three, makes me wonder who the third is. 

23 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I was watching a video interview Brad Holmes did with Tim Twentymen after the draft. He stated that the Lions use alot of 3 OT and swing tackle sets and that he drafted Sorsdal for that role. Even though he can play inside, he's someone they can use in that role right away. 

*Another interesting bit I caught, Lions signed 3 UDFAs that they had draft grades on and think could make the team. Holmes called them "extra draft picks".  Obviously, the best 53 will make the roster, but I don't think they were throw aways. I think Ibrahim and Joseph were two of the three, makes me wonder who the third is. 

I think it comes down to how well he can handle an OT role at the NFL-level with his shorter arm length.  We have a long-term need at RG and playing G might be Colby Sordsal's best position.  He might need a year to get stronger but he seems better positioned to have success at G.

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It may just be rookie camp but Colby Sordsal played exclusively at RG during the recent rookie mini-camp.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/5/13/23722519/detroit-lions-observations-2023-rookie-minicamp-sam-laporta-jack-campbell-brodric-martin-star-thomas

They are probably seeing what he can do inside and how he can adapt quickly to change since he played at OT in college. 

7 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Another name to add to the mix. 

I think he has played G and T but seemed to be better at G.  Maybe this is insurance if Big V has a set-back or some other injury.  I would be surprised if he was repping at T.

Update:  One of the Lions News sites also used the phrase insurance policy.  Just want to me clear that I wasn't repeating stuff from someone else.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/24/germain-ifedi-lions-scouting-report-fit-offensive-line/

Edited by Just Want A Title

One interesting OTA note:  Obina Eze seemed to be splitting reps with Penei Sewell according to one of the OTA review articles.  That seems like a pretty good sign of progress.  Lets hope that carries over to training camp.  Also, Colby Sordsal continues to rep exclusively at RG.

Update:  Found the specific article:

Without pads, I don’t have any real observations for this group, other than the order in which they were used.

With no Frank Ragnow or Jonah Jackson, the first-team offensive line looked like this:

LT: Taylor Decker
LG: Kayode Awosika
Center:  Graham Glasgow/Ross Pierschbacher
RG: Halapoulivaati Vaitai/Matt Nelson
RT: Penei Sewell/ Obinna Eze

Vaitai told the media after practice that they are “being smart” with his workload now, but he expects to be fully ready by training camp.

From what I saw, Colby Sorsdal took all of his reps at the right guard position with the reserves. Also of note, Logan Stenberg continues to get some work at guard and center.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/5/25/23738033/detroit-lions-week-1-ota-observations-rookies-slowly-positional-reports

Edited by Just Want A Title