Desmond Ridder and the Falcons vs DeShaun Watson and the Browns

scar988

On 10/22/2023 at 3:03 PM, SoCalDirtyBird said:

What is it going to take for Ridder to learn to take care of the football?

Snaps. The first fumble wasn't on him at all (Barrett just made a great play). But the other 2 were. One isn't that big of a deal. Snap exchanges happen, but that can be practiced. The last one was the unacceptable one.

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

@scar988, what do you think Ridder does this weekend? Any chance we see some more running from him? I'm torn between starting him and Russell Wilson in fantasy. Don't really have a good option. But I don't trust Wilson against KC.

Dude… don’t play Ridder in fantasy lol. Watching him in real life is painful enough.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

@scar988, what do you think Ridder does this weekend? Any chance we see some more running from him? I'm torn between starting him and Russell Wilson in fantasy. Don't really have a good option. But I don't trust Wilson against KC.

I think this might be the week it all comes together. But he's not worth trusting yet in fantasy. It's worth it to play him if you're willing to take the risk.

• Like 1

First loss I’ve been somewhat happy about all season. Smith finally learned a very difficult lesson regarding the QB position. 

No doubt that with a full game of Heinicke, the Atlanta Falcons would have advanced to 5-3. He’s got a much better command of the offense and feel inside the pocket. He gives us a significantly better chance to win this season.

Desmond gets to be put on ice this season and work on his pocket presence and holding onto the football. He’s made some obvious improvements over the course of the season, had a run to the left where he kept the football on the correct side of his body. Des is a hard worker, he’ll work on his deficiencies and be ready to compete for (not handed) the job this off-season.

Excited for Heinicke!

PS: This doesn’t change anything about Watson being garbage, Browns fans. Desmond @ 1m per year >>>>>>>> Watson @ 40m per year

Edited by SoCalDirtyBird

On 10/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, scar988 said:

I think this might be the week it all comes together. But he's not worth trusting yet in fantasy. It's worth it to play him if you're willing to take the risk.

I must apologize, Scar. My team's starting spot is the QB destroyer. It has successfully taken down Aaron Rodgers, Anthony Richardson (twice), Daniel Jones, and Deshaun Watson. Ridder was yet another victim. Only Jared Goff and Sam Howell have survived starting in my QB spot for a week lol. I need to find a way to trade for Brock Purdy.

On 10/27/2023 at 5:59 AM, scar988 said:

I think this might be the week it all comes together.

You're funny 

Ya mans ain't it. I keep telling you that. Did you see how Will Levis looked today?!?! Ridder hasn't look that good once in his career. Thats how a competitive young qb should look. 

Ridder dont got the talent bro. 

You might win our bet if Deshaun doesnt come back in enough games. We set time missed at 6 games right? 

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

You're funny 

Ya mans ain't it. I keep telling you that. Did you see how Will Levis looked today?!?! Ridder hasn't look that good once in his career. Thats how a competitive young qb should look. 

Ridder dont got the talent bro. 

You might win our bet if Deshaun doesnt come back in enough games. We set time missed at 6 games right? 

Will Levis had 5-6 good throws, and that was it. For the most part, he was bottled up. And honestly, we all knew Levis had a cannon. But take out the three long TDs that were an OPI (egregious that should have been called) and two coverage busts, and Levis was 16/26 for 97 yards the rest of the game. That's not exactly good. 

Also, Ridder played a game against the Texans that was pretty much the same as what Levis played against us. Only his receivers fumbled the ball in the red zone twice. Ridder has shown flashes. He's also a different type of QB than Levis is, too.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:11 AM, scar988 said:

No, he wasn't that good this week. He also wasn't horrible. He wasn't a train wreck that needed to be benched this week. 

The other 52 guys in that locker room deserve to have the QB playing that gives us the best chance to win. Smith has finally conceded, for now, that Heinicke is that guy.

Defensively, we desperately need one or both of Ebiketie & Malone to step it up and become impact players in the pass rush to help us overcome the devastating loss of Jarrett. Not getting Sweat/Young was a massive misfire by Fontenot. One of his draft picks needs to bail him out on that one.

Either way, with Heinicke leading the way, I do think that this team is capable of winning the division. But if the pass rush doesn’t step up in the wake of losing our best player, we’ll be quickly eliminated by one of the good teams when we get to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

The other 52 guys in that locker room deserve to have the QB playing that gives us the best chance to win. Smith has finally conceded, for now, that Heinicke is that guy.

Defensively, we desperately need one or both of Ebiketie & Malone to step it up and become impact players in the pass rush to help us overcome the devastating loss of Jarrett. Not getting Sweat/Young was a massive misfire by Fontenot. One of his draft picks needs to bail him out on that one.

Either way, with Heinicke leading the way, I do think that this team is capable of winning the division. But if the pass rush doesn’t step up in the wake of losing our best player, we’ll be quickly eliminated by one of the good teams when we get to the playoffs.

If we get to the playoffs, we'll be eliminated quickly regardless. We'd be getting Philly or Dallas as the 5 seed.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If we get to the playoffs, we'll be eliminated quickly regardless. We'd be getting Philly or Dallas as the 5 seed.

You’re probably right, but I wouldn’t see it as such a foregone conclusion if Ebiketie ascended to a Burns-level pass rusher. But yes, that is kind of unlikely.

Either way though, the shot in the arm that simply making the playoffs would have on this franchise (players, coaches, even fans) would be entirely worth it going into 2024. The culture improves, free agents will want to come here, etc.

Ridder can continue his training with Jordan Palmer and work extensively on the negative aspects of his game. Going into the 2024 season he’ll have 3 full NFL training camps, 12 games started and 22 games learning on the sidelines as the primary backup. He’s a very hard worker and he’ll be ready to compete with whoever we bring in.

4 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

You’re probably right, but I wouldn’t see it as such a foregone conclusion if Ebiketie ascended to a Burns-level pass rusher. But yes, that is kind of unlikely.

Either way though, the shot in the arm that simply making the playoffs would have on this franchise (players, coaches, even fans) would be entirely worth it going into 2024. The culture improves, free agents will want to come here, etc.

Ridder can continue his training with Jordan Palmer and work extensively on the negative aspects of his game. Going into the 2024 season he’ll have 3 full NFL training camps, 12 games started and 22 games learning on the sidelines as the primary backup. He’s a very hard worker and he’ll be ready to compete with whoever we bring in.

Agreed.