Drinking the Kool-Aid

Captain Relax

On the big screens at the gym I go to, Fox Sports and ESPN are playing right next to each other. Of course, the sound is off (the best way to watch those channels) but, I can tell what the talking heads are speaking about.

When the subject is the NFL, they are hyping three teams as potentially Super Bowl contenders.  They are the Jets, the Lions and the Eagles.  I am wondering if you are drinking the Kool-Aid offered by any of these teams?

Personally,  while I think the Lions and Jets will be playoff teams, I don't think either will represent their conference in the Super Bowl.  I am declining their Kool-Aid.  While it is very difficult to get back to the Super Bowl in successive seasons, I believe the Eagles, if they stay healthy, are the class of the NFC by a pretty wide margin.  I will sip their Kool-Aid, but I  ain't chugging it!!!

What about you?

I’m not buying the Lions. 

The Jets I’ll buy. The Jets truly remind me of the 2009 Vikings. They are a stacked team that was in need of a capable QB. A motivated Aaron Rodgers with, possibly, the best defense in the league is going to be a very dangerous team. I think they’ll unseat the Bills, who seem set to take a step back, and win the AFC East.

The Eagles are still what they were last year. Probably the team to beat in the NFC. 

• Like 2

As long as Dan Campbell coaches the Lions, no way. Further, it's hilarious that people jump on the Lions bandwagon when Goff is their QB, but all they can talk about is how Cousins can't get a team to the big one. 

The Eagles are the class of the NFC until proven otherwise. 

Green Bay East ain't it either. 

• Like 1

I put the Jets in the same category as the Lions...I'll believe it when I see it.  I can see how Semper compares them to the '09 Vikings, but really, I think the '09 Vikings won in spite of Childress, rather than because of him and weren't a "highly" talented team, but were talented at the spots they needed to be (outside of WR...as people know I was never that fond of Rice...I think, even at his best, he was no more than a #2 WR). They won because of Favre's ability to motivate and make magic, which was awfully similar to last year's Vikings' team.  Aaron Rodgers doesn't have that.  Never has, never will.  He will get respect from his teammates because of his talent, but they'll never go to the mat for him like players did for Favre.

I agree though that currently the Eagles are the class of the NFC, but it's going to be more challenging this year for them, because they don't have that cupcake schedule they had last year, as they have the AFC East and have to go to Arrowhead.  They do get the benefit of playing the Bills and 49ers at home (as well as us), but also have 2 cross-country trips (to the Rams and Seahawks...and they aren't back to back).

Edited by swede700