Bills RB Nyheim Hines suffered a significant knee injury off-site and is expected to miss the entire 2023 season

Steelersfan43

On 7/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, ET80 said:

Ooof, I know some contracts have provisions against risky activities. Hopefully Hines isn’t in trouble contractually with this happening.

As a pro athlete, you simply can’t take risks like this. One stupid decision (not even made by Hines, at that) just cost him his season - and possibly his career, depending on the severity of this significant injury.

I give up, what are you talking about? Jet skis are hardly risky and using them isn't "stupid." It's just a freak accident. Life happens. 

Shame too. IMO the Colts were fools to trade him, but they didn't know how to use him anyway. Real shame for the Bills. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goblue said:

I give up, what are you talking about? Jet skis are hardly risky and using them isn't "stupid." It's just a freak accident. Life happens. 

It actually is pretty stupid when/if there’s a specific provision in your contract that could cost you millions by riding one. It doesn’t have to be risky.

If I had a provision in my seven figure contract that said it would void if I got a physical injury from a ping pong ball - I’d be pretty stupid to go spend any amount of time playing ping pong, wouldn’t I? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goblue said:

Context matters - if I’m an accountant, it’s not risky or stupid at all. Freak accidents happen, but it doesn’t impact my way of life at all. Between health insurance and FMLA, my career isn’t impacted in the least - I miss a few weeks/months recovering, continue to work while recovering, life goes on. 

If my job is to use my body in any capacity, the risk increases significantly - any sort of injury will impact my ability to earn money, downtime is not beneficial in any way whatsoever. If my body is responsible for securing million dollar contracts (as it is for any athlete) it’s stupid for me to put it at risk in any capacity - because whoever is paying me millions is investing in my health, and ANYTHING recreationally that can put it at risk is not worth it. This isn’t just limited to Hines - riding an ATV isn’t stupid or risky inherently in the same vein as riding a jet ski, yet it cost former Seahawks DT Malik McDowell his career when he got into an ATV accident. 

You’re held to a different standard when you’re a pro athlete. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you, but risk isn't all or nothing; it's a question of degree. It's not like he was kick boxing or mountain climbing or juggling chain saws. Again, jet skis are not risky. I would be very surprised if such a thing was included in activities he wasn't supposed to do.

59 minutes ago, goblue said:

I hear you, but risk isn't all or nothing; it's a question of degree. It's not like he was kick boxing or mountain climbing or juggling chain saws. Again, jet skis are not risky. I would be very surprised if such a thing was included in activities he wasn't supposed to do.

The way those lawyer write up these contracts, like "shall include, but shall not be limited to", i would be surprised if the bills dont have significant leverage.

Hines should take the deal

• Like 1

19 hours ago, goblue said:

The fact that the Bills are even offering a settlement says they have something in writing saying he shouldn’t be doing something such as that - maybe not specific to that activity, but something that would hold up in arbitration between the Bills and the NFLPA. 

If the Bills DIDN’T have anything, there’s no reason to offer the settlement to begin with - they’d just place him on IR and be done with it. 

• Like 1