Training Camp 2023 (Taylor, Lewis and Mallory put in Active/PUP)

Wyld Stallyns

Players are reporting for physicals today and camp starts tomorrow 

I’m surprised Leonard isn’t on this list. But maybe there is another list more for him. These guys can be removed from this list at any time. I had heard that Taylor reported to camp late today in solidarity with other RBs who haven’t gotten long term deals yet (Barkley, Jacobs and Pollard) 

I don't blame Taylor for being upset, he has proven to be one of the best backs in the league, yet isn't paid like one.  And teams know this, so I think it was the plan to get Taylor, run him to the ground during his rookie contract and then let some other team sign him to a big contract. 

And then the 1st round pick, gets a fully guaranteed 33 million deal before he even steps on the field.  It has to be frustrating.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:20 AM, Warhorse said:

I think RB deals out of the gate should be 3 years. 

yeah, that may not be a bad compromise.  Still will protect the team from being held hostage by a draft pick but allow top tier RBs to cash in before their (typically) much shorter nfl career is on the downside.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

yeah, that may not be a bad compromise.  Still will protect the team from being held hostage by a draft pick but allow top tier RBs to cash in before their (typically) much shorter nfl career is on the downside.

Anther way is to say....over 1000 carries, and your out at 3 years. 

Perhaps adding a one year only franchise on RB's. What I am trying to do, is see them get a second deal. All positions so far in the NFL seem to get a second deal if the player ultra performs. That is not so for RB's. 

• Like 1

A typical running back hits their peak at 27-28 y/o then regresses (if not earlier) 

If a RB plays 3 years of college and graduates at 21. Then spends 4 years on their rookie contract (now 25), 5th year option and 2 franchise tags leaves them at 28.

Taylor matches this exactly except for not being a first rounder. And the Colts don’t concern themselves with positional value as long as the player is far and away better than their peers.

I’ve heard the Colts want to wait until after this season to extend him because of his ankle and the new coach/offense. Taylor wanted to get a new deal before this season. Taylor passed his physical but the team is taking a slow pace with him. Last season the Colts didn’t really have him participate in a lot of drills in training camp when he was healthy so this isn’t new just the PUP list designation 

• Like 1

Just realized.  The Colts 4th round 280lb+ defensive lineman ran a faster 40 time (4.49) than the Colts 2nd round CB (4.53) :eek

Listening to an interview with Adebawore right now.  He is definitely a well spoken, driven young man.  Like with any Colts draft pick, I wish him well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

Just realized.  The Colts 4th round 280lb+ defensive lineman ran a faster 40 time (4.49) than the Colts 2nd round CB (4.53) :eek

Listening to an interview with Adebawore right now.  He is definitely a well spoken, driven young man.  Like with any Colts draft pick, I wish him well.

I keep hearing Matt Taylor ribbing Bill Brooks that it’s better then his 

So if we lose JT, then who do we sign: Kareem Hunt, Zeke Elliott, Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette? 

Also Anthony Richardson had a procedure done to his nose to help with his breathing. It was outpatient and he only missed Monday’s practice and took all the first team practice snaps today. I don’t think this means anything other than making up for Minshew getting all the first teams snaps Monday.