Some observations of the first preseason game.

coffeedrinker

I will cover the elephant in the room first.  AR.  1st game for a rookie I won't beat him up too much.  The INT was bad, and the throw to Pierce near the goalline was bad (Pierce had a step on his guy and instead of throwing it 5 years deep in the endzone and letting Pierce run to it, he underthrew it and the front of the endzone and it was a PD instead).  But those seemed to be the only "bad" plays he had.  The screens were good, with good placement, and good velocity, he had a nice pass to the TE between the hash marks.  And a ball sailed on him to Pittman but Pittman made a nice leaping grab.  All in all not a bad debut.  I, of course, could change my mind over the next two preseason games, but I will be surprised if AR is the starer on Day 1.

The next elephant in the room, Raimann.  I thought he played well, his pass set is really good, although I would like to see him have his hands at chest height when not engaged.  His run blocking is adequate, he's a good shield and mirror run blocker but I didn't see any real power in his run blocks.  Buffalo didn't throw anything real complicated at him but I think he will be much improved over last season.

I was working, and I have it recording this week. Will comment after that. Did see some youtube plays. Liked what I saw from AR. The stuff that was not good enough, is all stuff that can be improved upon...IMO. I have heard the oline held up with the 1's against Buff's stout D-line/pass rush on the road. I think that was without some starters. 

Depth at secondary seems a concern but when is it not?

What I liked the most, was AR at the podium. That is not a normal 21 yo kid. Dude is humble, and mature. Eager to learn.

"Every little thing.....gonna be all right...."

2 hours ago, Warhorse said:

I was working, and I have it recording this week. Will comment after that. Did see some youtube plays. Liked what I saw from AR. The stuff that was not good enough, is all stuff that can be improved upon...IMO. I have heard the oline held up with the 1's against Buff's stout D-line/pass rush on the road. I think that was without some starters. 

Depth at secondary seems a concern but when is it not?

What I liked the most, was AR at the podium. That is not a normal 21 yo kid. Dude is humble, and mature. Eager to learn.

"Every little thing.....gonna be all right...."

I missed the beginning of the game but I did see Freeland in the game earlier then I expected him so I’m not sure if Braden Smith played or not. Second team OL wasn’t blocking very good from what I saw. 

• Like 1