Chiefs WR Corps

Chiefer

13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah but he’s a rookie, and at the end of the day this is an Andy Reid offense. Rookies are incorporated slowly, that’s how we do things here.  He’s got a solid template to copy in Hollywood brown, who’s pretty much filling the same role on offense. 

Get that leg healed up and ball out in camp, Bide the time until your opportunity presents itself, and it will. 

There is also Mecole Hardman to consider. I am not saying that XW will not pick up the offense but it takes time, sometimes years. Even now Mecole's is only a useful piece, not a framework guy like Tyreek or JuJu.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

There is also Mecole Hardman to consider.

Mecole should not be keeping out first round pick from the field. This is why I was suggesting every snap matters. There’s a reason we could pick him up for the playoffs, and why he was available this late in the offseason. The fact is he’s most valuable to us.

I don’t mind, and actually like Mecole being on the team, but again, there’s plays for him.

30 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Mecole should not be keeping out first round pick from the field. This is why I was suggesting every snap matters. There’s a reason we could pick him up for the playoffs, and why he was available this late in the offseason. The fact is he’s most valuable to us.

I don’t mind, and actually like Mecole being on the team, but again, there’s plays for him.

Mecole will be performing the offense better than said 1st round pick. A year from now that would likely not be the case but that is a year from.

Rookies are given the whole offense. It takes time to digest and more time to make it routine. Mecole is past the first stage though he never mastered the second one. That puts him ahead of a rookie.

6 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Mehhh. XW runs better routes and is faster. I'll say he gets more playing time than MH and if healthy, it won't be close

Please provide evidence that he runs better routes. 

Will Justin Watson lead the WR in TD catches? One analyst thinks so. It should be noted it was in a Bold Predictions list.
https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-predictions-2024-season-super-bowl-mvp-awards

90. Justin Watson will lead the Chiefs in receiving touchdowns

The 28-year-old has been a silent favorite of Patrick Mahomes for years. With the Chiefs breaking in another new suite of wide receivers, their experience together will pay dividends in a handful of critical spots.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Will Justin Watson lead the WR in TD catches? One analyst thinks so. It should be noted it was in a Bold Predictions list.

The 28-year-old has been a silent favorite of Patrick Mahomes for years. With the Chiefs breaking in another new suite of wide receivers, their experience together will pay dividends in a handful of critical spots.

He brings something different in the redzone.  But I think in the redzone we could see a jumbo WR set with Trav and Wiley outside.

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

WRs, maybe, but that's kind of up for grabs. The team, I highly doubt it. He has fewer career TD receptions than Kelce averages per season.

On 6/20/2024 at 10:22 PM, onejayhawk said:

Please provide evidence that he runs better routes. 

I've heard/read that MH rounds off his routes too much. His change of direction leaves much to be desired.

You asked for evidence. Here ya go. XW can run routes

The slender receiver's natural speed generates easy separation and allows the wideout to slam on the brakes, excelling in curls and comeback routes. Worthy displayed improved tracking skills in his final year at Texas which should translate into big plays at the next level.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-trade-up-select-texas-wr-xavier-worthy-with-no-28-pick-of-2024-nfl-draft

The folks at Pro Football Focus also commented on Worthy's dynamic agility, writing the following in their pre-draft guide:

"[Worthy has] functional NFL speed, [he's] not just a straight-line sprinter. He can vary his speeds to still be an efficient route-runner while operating at high speeds."

https://www.chiefs.com/news/five-things-to-know-about-chiefs-first-round-pick-wr-xavier-worthy-2024-nfl-draft

Head Coach Andy Reid discussed what stood out to him about Worthy – other than his obvious speed – following Round 1:

"He's a good route-runner. He's not a big kid – at least weight-wise – but I think you'll see the toughness that he has," Reid said. "That jumped out at me. [We talked to Texas Head Coach Steve Sarkisian], and he kept talking about how smart he is. He has great football instincts, and he's a tremendous worker. In this offense, you have to be able to do that and have those characteristics."

https://www.chiefs.com/news/five-things-to-know-about-chiefs-first-round-pick-wr-xavier-worthy-2024-nfl-draft

"Xavier Worthy became a household name at the combine because he broke the record for fastest 40-yard dash, but he has some nuance as a route runner and isn't just a deep threat. In fact, the comp I used in my Big Board was to Hollywood Brown, who will be his new teammate. Mahomes now has two electrifying playmakers at his disposal."

https://www.chiefs.com/news/upon-further-review-what-the-experts-thought-of-the-chiefs-2024-draft-class

Edited by mayanfootball

We'll see when camp gets here.

Worthy is still learning the offense and Hardman is a five-year veteran. That matters. I don't think it will be close when the season opens. It may be a different story come week 12 or so.

55 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Unequaled speed and being a 1st. rd pick dictates XW plays and earns his keep.

What planet are you from? 

On this one, 1st round pick means you make the roster and get practice with the 1st team. 

55 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

J.Chase had his best year in 2021, his first, so it can be done.

There is a reason Ja'Marr Chase went 24 picks higher than Xavier Worthy. JC was bigger, more physical, experienced, polished, and played with a much better QB. It's not quite comparing one of the rookie QBs to Mahomes, but it's close. 

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Unequaled speed and being a 1st. rd pick dictates XW plays and earns his keep.

What planet are you from? 

Hey J, there's no need to get nasty. Just say'n

Edited by mayanfootball

DeSean Jackson  is a player XW has been favorably compared to. DJ's 1st year was 2008 and he played alot even as a 2nd. rd. pick.

He was responsible for 121 targets. This wasn't broken until 2013 with 126, which was his career high.

8 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

DeSean Jackson  is a player XW has been favorably compared to. DJ's 1st year was 2008 and he played alot even as a 2nd. rd. pick.

He was responsible for 121 targets. This wasn't broken until 2013 with 126, which was his career high.

If he has a DeSean Jackson rookie year I will be pleasantly shocked. Jackson stands alone among rookie WRs under Reid.

Try Jeremy Maclin for a reasonable upside although he was also a higher pick than XM. Remember when we had high hopes for Clyde Edwards-Helaire? He was compared to Brian Westbrook.