Some thoughts on the game

coffeedrinker

The good:  

• The defense started off like gang busters again.  Two games in a row they have completely stifled the running game of two teams with good runningbacks.
  • The offense, was efficient
  • Richardson seems to be pretty comfortable in the pocket, he's make fat decisions.
  • The oline is blocking really well in both the run game and pass game
  • The defensive line is becoming one of the best in the NFL and they seem to have 7 starter quality people in the rotation. (I know the houston line is in shambles, but the D line was pretty dominant against the Jags as well.
  • Kickoff and punt coverage seems good so far, well disciplined and active.
  • Kenny Moore is already playing at an all-pro level, the guy is a baller.

The bad:

• Another 4th quarter meltdown by the defense.  They play awesome for 2.75-3 quarters and then just fall apart.  I don't know if it's Bradley's defensive play-calling or if the players are just gassed or what. 
  • As good as the defense is, the tackling is sub-par, too many guys are satisfied with trying to shoulder a runner to the ground rather than wrapping up and tackling.  There were several runs that should have been stopped for little to no gain but turned into 4+ yard gains because they went for a big hit rather than a tackle.

The really bad.

• After a 28-point first half the Colts scored 3 points in the 2nd half.
  • Richardson is good at running the ball but as we have already seen, it's not sustainable.  2 games, 2 times he as been unable to finish.
  • I am sure he would not appreciate it, but every time I see Zack Moss run, I think "Mighty Mouse".  I mean it as a compliment.  But I am listing it under really bad because that is what I think his reaction would be. :)
  • I am happy the Colts won and they looked completely dominant in the 1st half, but I think it's going to be another really long year for Colts fans.

• Like 1

I agree with everything you posted but also want to add one as well.
Minshew was good in the second quarter when the team needed an answer to the Texans TD. Right after AR went out Minshew had to hurry and get warmed up and led us to two TD scoring drives to extend the lead. Which was enough to hold off the Texans. 

• Like 2

I agree with most, but part of the defensive meltdown....is because of the offensive meltdown. I think the offense stalling....is not a singular issue. That said, I think Buc and Grove need adequate backup(s) for a breather late in games.

It is obvious our ran game is not the same. WR's looked better. Kicking was better. Penalties were bad....and they happened at bad times.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

I agree with most, but part of the defensive meltdown....is because of the offensive meltdown. I think the offense stalling....is not a singular issue. That said, I think Buc and Grove need adequate backup(s) for a breather late in games.

It is obvious our ran game is not the same. WR's looked better. Kicking was better. Penalties were bad....and they happened at bad times.

It may have a lot to do with the offense not sustaining drives in the 2nd half and the the guys are just tired.  I think it also has some that he becomes predictable in how the D is going to play based on formation, so teams indicate they are going to do one thing by formation and then do another.  But Stroud is a mediocre rookie QB and the Colts D made him look like a future HOF in the 2nd half.

• Like 1