Chiefs rework Mahomes; $210.6 Million GTD 2023-2026

chiefs82

2 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Can someone explain this to me like I’m an idiot (because I am) what does this do for us? 

Took money from the last 5 years of Mahomes's contract and pushed a chunk of that into the next 4 years instead. Saves a small amount of cap space this year. Nothing substantial, but enough to add some flexibility if we need it. Don't know for sure yet, but very likely raises his cap hits from 2024 - 2026, while lowering them after that. All but guarantees they'll go back to the table around 2026, but that was already likely in the first place from the structure of the contract, so I don't think much really changes there. Importantly, it only moved money around, and did not remove any years or straight up add any dollars, so it still leaves KC some leverage the next time they need to renegotiate, and also gives us the continued flexibility to push his cap hits out via bonus if we need to in any of the next few years. But it's still a 10 year $450M contract officially, just moved some stuff up to adjust for the current market.

Mostly, it's just a raise that he deserved, and is given to him while preserving the original flexibility the team was going for when they signed a 10 year deal in the first place.

On 9/18/2023 at 3:57 PM, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Field Yates just put out this creates 2.5 million in cap space for this year. All I’m saying is Tee Higgins cap hit is 2.1

Probably better to pick a player of a team that hasn’t been our biggest rival over the last couple years.  I get what you’re saying and the numbers line up…but I think that’sa stretch in terms of plausibility.

Edited by EMAW_KSU
Speaking English

4 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Field Yates just put out this creates 2.5 million in cap space for this year. All I’m saying is Tee Higgins cap hit is 2.1

Honesty, I’d rather roll with who we have but give Rice and Rice more playing time. Keep our draft picks and use our cap space to retain our own guys; Danna, one of Gay/Tranquil, Winchester, and Townsend are my top priorities. 

On 9/18/2023 at 7:55 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Honesty, I’d rather roll with who we have but give Rice and Rice more playing time. Keep our draft picks and use our cap space to retain our own guys; Danna, one of Gay/Tranquil, Winchester, and Townsend are my top priorities. 

There 0.0000% Bengals wouldnt trade anyone to us

Edited by chiefs82
  • Like 1