Cleansing Packers 2024 Mock Off-Season

Packerraymond

Best not to look back at that ****show from last night and look forward. 

- Going to go with my original projection still of 9-8, picking somewhere late teens, early 20s

- Too early to get into the full allotment of coaches, but I think it's pretty safe to say after the disgust LaFleur showed yesterday it's going to need to be a drastic turnaround for the defense or Joe Barry will be gone. 

Current Roster: 

We carry over 8m from this year into next year's cap, giving us a projected total of 19m per Spotrac.

- David Bakhtiari: Just a simple release here I'm projecting. I wouldn't be surprised if no one is willing to touch him and he either tears up his deal and signs for cheap here, or just comes back to us after testing the market for a bit post-release. However most likely scenario still to me is he finds somewhere else to play. He'll go find a contender who plays on grass. Don't see him in NY. Cap space up to 40m with this release. 

-Aaron Jones: Nothing is done with Jones. He comes back for 2024 on his current deal, most likely his last in GB. We can save 5m with his release, don't think we can use that for anything that's worth more than AJ sticking around. 

-Preston Smith: Preston is retained as well, only gain 2.5m from his release, what's the point? Hopefully he is OLB #3 with LVN taking hold of the starting job. Smith plays one more year and is cut after the 2024 season.

-DeVondre Campbell: Retained as well, just not enough savings to warrant anything until a 2025 release. 

Packers Free Agents: 
- Rashan Gary: 5 yrs/130m: 
Obvious one, Gary gets his cash and becomes the unquestioned leader of the defense. 
- Keisean Nixon: 2/8m: Not having as good a year, but he's become a core member of this locker room and has teams value
- Darnell Savage: 1/6.5m: Similar "prove it" deal that CGJ got with Detroit. Savage has been much improved and sticks around trying to show consistency to hit a nice payday. 
-Rudy Ford/Dallin Leavitt/Josiah Deguara: 1/1.5m:  Good teams and depth players, come back as long as they stay cheap. 
-Yosh Nijman/JRJ/Dillon: Gone, they find homes elsewhere

*Cap Space after re-signings: 16m*

Restructures:
Jaire/Kenny/Elgton all have roster bonus/base salary converted to SB, saving 16m.

*Cap Space 32m entering FA* 

Free agents: 

Robert Hunt, 6'6 335 RG from Miami: 3/30 (6m year 1 hit)
Hunt is brought in to give our IOL some mauling presence, we're really struggling for push on the IOL with Jenkins out. Hunt would go a long way in improving that. 

Jordan Whitehead, 5'10 199 S from NYJ: 3/45 (9m year 1 hit) 
Whitehead is the back half patroller that fits perfectly with Savage, and he can take the football away. Gives us a young athletic safety pair.

Antonio Gibson, 6'2 220 RB from Washington: 1/4 (void year added, 2m hit) 
I thought Gibson was the next star back in this league after his rookie year. Kind of stumbled a bit after that, but the athletic ability and pass game value are there big time. Still young and could still be the star he looked like after his first two years. 

*15m carried into camp, for Jordan Love extension; in-season acquisitions*

The Draft: 

Round 1: Amarius Mims, 6'7 330 OT
School: Georgia

Dipping into the Georgia well is probably a safe bet to make when there's a very solid player of need declaring from that school. I think the Packers will like Tom on the left side, even as early as this year, so finding a player with strong RT tape to sure up that side should be the priority. Enter Mims, who has yet to give up a QB hit or sack in 300 snaps at Georgia. Mims is a prototype OT for the "planet theory" they just don't make many 6'7 dudes with long arms and 17% body fat who can move like he does. He should slide in from day one to be the long-term RT for Jordan Love and this offense, and when paired with new RG Robert Hunt, will give our right side 650+ pounds of beef over there. That's a great start for rebuilding the OL.

YFGYGARGXHASR6GTUNPYYZW6CE.JPG

Round 2 (NYJ): Max Melton 6'0 195 CB
School: Rutgers

Melton was draft eligible last season and got some hype as a late 1st/early 2nd guy before deciding to come back to Rutgers. The Packers should know him pretty well as his brother Bo is on our practice squad. Like Bo, Max is a pretty elite athlete, not the biggest or longest corner, but he makes up for it with quickness and mirroring ability. Our CB room is light on depth, and will lose a starter in Douglas after the 2024 season, always need to be making premium upgrades there to keep up with this passing league.

FBROFABTQRAPVBIEY5MMT3ECJY.jpg

Round 2: Bryce Foster 6'5 325 OC
School: Texas A&M

Another big freak for the OL room. Foster was already benching 400 as a HS senior and is one of the best shot putters in the NCAA. Myers has been a bit of a letdown and will probably need a big end to the season and 2024 in order to secure a long term deal, right now I just don't see it. He can battle Foster for the starting gig in 2024, and if Myers wins, we can do some cross training with Foster as an OG as he's more than athletic and strong enough for it.

USATSI_16885437.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Round 3: Jaylen Wright 5'11 200 RB
School: Tennessee

Grabbing Gibson (4.39 at 228lbs) and adding Wright (verified 10.62 100; been hand timed at 4.28 at 200lbs) the Packers look to emulate the Dolphins running game which uses misdirection and motion to create lanes for backs with incredible speed to hit. Right now we're just struggling With Jones/Dillon/Wilson to get to the edge, doesn't matter if you confuse a defender if you aren't fast enough and he can still course correct and meet you in the hole. We've rebuilt the OL here with Hunt, Mims and Foster, next step is adding some backs that can fly to take advantage.

Jaylen-Wright-%E2%80%94-Tennessee-Footba

Round 4: T'Vondre Sweat 6'4 330 NT
School: Texas

Maybe at some point in our life times we'll be a dominant run stopping team. Could probably use one more big beefy body up front to do that. Sweat is just that. 

9930672.jpg

Round 4: Roman Wilson 6'0 190 WR
School: Michigan

Just keep adding speed and finding effective ways to use it. Wilson gets Toure off the roster and gives us an impressive 5 of Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, Wilson. Can't ask for much more if you're Jordan Love

19025550.jpeg

Round 5: Jaden Hicks 6'3 210 S
School: Washington State

Not many more rooms where there's a roster spot to crack, safety is one of them. Hicks is a solid depth piece and ST contributor.

09072023_TZR_Jaden_Hicks_tzr_153955.jpg?

Round 6: Jason Henderson 6'1 230 LB
School; Old Dominion

LB depth, potential ST ace

JASON_HENDERSON_1_.jpg

Round 6: Dylan McMahon 6'4 320 OG
School: NC State

More OL depth on the IOL. 

11893131.jpg

Round 6: Jared Wiley 6'6 255 TE
School: TCU

Depth for the TE room, hopefully becomes the blocking TE we lack right now. 

1245336626.0.jpg

Round 6: Devin Neal 5'11 200 RB
School: Kansas

Neal is a solid pass catcher and could have a future in the league as a 3rd down back.

RQEQVO2ZDFEFRL5SOEQX5YPQ4I.jpg

Round 7: Julian Fleming 6'2 205 WR
School: OSU

Always buried on the depth chart, but a big time recruit. The kind of flier you take in rd 7

10096480.jpg

2024 Depth Chart Notables: 
QB: Love-Clifford
RB: Jones-Gibson-Wright-Neal-Wilson-Taylor
WR: Watson-Doubs-Reed-Wicks-Wilson-Toure-Heath-Fleming-Melton-DuBose
TE: Musgrave-Kraft-DeGuara-Sims-Wiley
OL: Tom-Jenkins-Myers-Hunt-Mims-Walker-Foster-Rhyan-Newman-Jones-Tenuta-McMahon-Telfort

DL: Clark-Slaton-Wyatt-Wooden-Brooks-Sweat-Ford
EDGE: Gary-LVN-Smith-Enagbare-Cox-Banks-Mosby
ILB: Walker-Campbell-McDuffie-Henderson-Phillips
CB: Alexander-Douglas-Stokes-Melton-Nixon-Valentine-Balentine
S: Savage-Whitehead-Ford-Leavitt-Johnson Jr- Hicks

*2025 Outlook*
60m comes off the books from Bakh's 2024 dead cap, Douglas and Jones on expiring deals, and releasing Campbell and Preston. The Packers could have legit 100m in cap space in 2025 depending on how they structure Love and Gary's deal with only Clark, Myers, Slaton and Stokes as UFA's. Major players for the next big FA acquisitions. 

• Like 10

I can find no faults with any of this and I like to find faults in everything. 

If I'm absolutely nitpicking, if we could find a tackle in round 2 instead of round 1, I would go that route and maybe another interior O-lineman free agent like Hunt, depending on the development of the young guys. 

Runyan is gone, Newman needs to be gone and we should have another vet back up who can come in and be respectable. Newman is not that guy. Unless Ryhan shows something this year, we need another one. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I can find no faults with any of this and I like to find faults in everything. 

If I'm absolutely nitpicking, if we could find a tackle in round 2 instead of round 1, I would go that route and maybe another interior O-lineman free agent like Hunt, depending on the development of the young guys. 

Runyan is gone, Newman needs to be gone and we should have another vet back up who can come in and be respectable. Newman is not that guy. Unless Ryhan shows something this year, we need another one. 

It's a really nice, athletic tackle class so I struggle on whether to hop one falls to round 2 and take a position that's weaker, but we did that with WR in 2020 and ended up with no one. 

Either way, good year to need a tackle, so that's exciting for us. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Think we have the "sexy"  with Watson, Doubs, Reed and Musgrave TBH and Wicks was 3rd in the NFL in av separation before last night so we may have something there too. Just need a back to go with them. 

Oh sure, I just meant sexy in terms of prospects that everyone's going to know and rave about. I'm here for a draft that's about getting the trenches right and the secondary stuff right. Means we're getting closer to where we ultimately want to be. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's a really nice, athletic tackle class so I struggle on whether to hop one falls to round 2 and take a position that's weaker, but we did that with WR in 2020 and ended up with no one. 

Either way, good year to need a tackle, so that's exciting for us. 

There is also a chance, albeit very small one. The Packers move Tom to LT now that Bak is done and insert Nijman and he proves worthy of the job. That is a longshot to be sure. Weren't he and Tom rotating at RT early in camp? It doesn't really matter we need to be drafting offensive linemen in 2024. 

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There is also a chance, albeit very small one. The Packers move Tom to LT now that Bak is done and insert Nijman and he proves worthy of the job. That is a longshot to be sure. Weren't he and Tom rotating at RT early in camp? It doesn't really matter we need to be drafting offensive linemen in 2024. 

I think it's better than 50/50 that Tom goes to LT at some point, unless Bakh takes some sort of massive paycut or they draft a pure LT high.