Week 4 thoughts

Mid Iowa

46 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Raiders fans just desperately want Carr to suck so they can feel better about the decision to cut him. He isn't the problem.

Keep watching..... you'll see. I watched people apologize for Carr for 9 years and I was a Carr fan.

He isn't the problem..... never was. He's also not the solution. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Keep watching..... you'll see. I watched people apologize for Carr for 9 years and I was a Carr fan.

Carr might end up being a problem for us down the line, but right now he is not. Our offensive coordinator and terrible offensive line are directly responsible for our terrible offensive production, mostly the OC. Pete Carmichael was an issue last year and the fanbase called for him to be replaced, but they stuck with him and it's more of the same this year. 

Edited by JMG5

Yeah, he is what he is. Good, not great QB. He's not what he's been showing though. Pete is the worst OC in the league. 

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

Carr might end up being a problem for us down the line, but right now he is not. Our offensive coordinator and terrible offensive line are directly responsible for our terrible offensive production, mostly the OC. Pete Carmichael was an issue last year and the fanbase called for him to be replaced, but they stuck with him and it's more of the same this year. 

Out of curiosity, how much influence did Gruden provide as far as the offensive install? Is he still consulting the team? 

53 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Yeah, he is what he is. Good, not great QB. He's not what he's been showing though. Pete is the worst OC in the league. 

While Pete may be the worst OC in the league (debatable) Carr is right on brand. Check downs, inconsistent accuracy, poor in the red zone. You'll continue to see it regardless the play caller. It's who he's always been. He's started 146 games and his offense has scored < 20 points in half those starts.

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

While Pete may be the worst OC in the league (debatable) Carr is right on brand. Check downs, inconsistent accuracy, poor in the red zone. You'll continue to see it regardless the play caller. It's who he's always been. He's started 146 games and his offense has scored < 20 points in half those starts.

I don't have any problems with check downs, in fact our offense has sorely lacked it the last 3 years. It's really not debatable. Go watch some of our route concepts and play design, specifically on 3rd down. Its atrocious. 

Grass is always greener. Carr is a borderline top 15 QB in the league which always sounds bad until you're starting Andy Dalton or Jimmy Garoppolo for his annual 7 games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Out of curiosity, how much influence did Gruden provide as far as the offensive install? Is he still consulting the team? 

1. Not much. They only ever reported him bring brought in to ease the learning process for Carr since it's a similar system. 

2. Not that we know of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingram said:

I don't have any problems with check downs, in fact our offense has sorely lacked it the last 3 years. It's really not debatable. Go watch some of our route concepts and play design, specifically on 3rd down. Its atrocious. 

Grass is always greener. Carr is a borderline top 15 QB in the league which always sounds bad until you're starting Andy Dalton or Jimmy Garoppolo for his annual 7 games. 

Agree, he's a borderline top 15 QB. You don't pay those 100 mil gtd.

I'll definitely find some all-22 breakdowns to check out.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree, he's a borderline top 15 QB. You don't pay those 100 mil gtd.

I'll definitely find some all-22 breakdowns to check out.

Uh… you absolutely do haha. It’s very hard to get even a Derek Carr level QB in the NFL.

• Like 1

So big positive is that Penning looked a lot better in this game.  It seemed like all the pressure was coming from the inside of the OL for the most part.  Also the heavy reliance on Kamara seemed to be a lot more designed plays than just check downs, I'm wondering if Carmichael got too excited with Kamara being back and Shaheed performing last week as it felt like he completely forgot about MT and Olave and as the announcers pointed out, it seemed like Olave was starting to get a little fed up with the playcalls as he wasn't working nearly as hard in his routes, which is something that never happened last year or at Ohio State.

11 hours ago, Kingram said:

Uh… you absolutely do haha. It’s very hard to get even a Derek Carr level QB in the NFL.

You don't pay for average. Same thing I said about the Raiders signing Jimmy G. Baker Mayfield cost 4 mil. and is out performing both.

Only way you justify that contract is Carr can carry you deep into the playoffs and he's not that dude. He's a slightly younger Andy Dalton. 

You don't pay for average. Same thing I said about the Raiders signing Jimmy G. Baker Mayfield cost 4 mil. and is out performing both.

Only way you justify that contract is Carr can carry you deep into the playoffs and he's not that dude. He's a slightly younger Andy Dalton. 

It's essentially a two year deal and like I've said, I don't blame Carr for these offensive struggles. Pete is a disaster. If you're actually interested Nick Underhill wrote a fantastic article on how badly designed the offense is. 

https://neworleans.football/2023/10/03/saints-pete-carmichael-motion-play-action-slants

Willing to share my login info if you want to read.

3 hours ago, Kingram said:

It's essentially a two year deal and like I've said, I don't blame Carr for these offensive struggles. Pete is a disaster. If you're actually interested Nick Underhill wrote a fantastic article on how badly designed the offense is. 

https://neworleans.football/2023/10/03/saints-pete-carmichael-motion-play-action-slants

Willing to share my login info if you want to read.

DM me. I'd love to check it out. 

Thanks man.