Week 4 thoughts

Mid Iowa

There's a book out there called Rocket Fuel. In the book it talks about visionaries and integrators working together to make things happen. i.e. Rocket Fuel isn't just gasoline, it's the right combination of stuff, and when that right combination happens to work perfectly, you put a rocket into space. If you don't believe in rockets, that's cool. The same applies to Ray Kroc and McDonald's.

Anyway, Brees and Payton had a pretty good chemistry. Payton & Carmichael apparently had some of that, too. 

Well, Carmichael & Carr/Winston don't. Carmichael & Allen don't. And to the point of many of us here, something has to change.

ZERO Touchdowns in 6 (almost 7) quarters of football with this pool of talent is inexcusable. I don't know what else to say. It's totally unacceptable.

Fire somebody. Fire everybody. Whatever!! Somebody has to answer for this abysmal performance over the course of 2 Sundays.

• Like 1

Allen needs to go into save-my-job mode immediately. They speak so highly of Ronald Curry, so give him the reigns.

You could see the entire team moral sink as the game went along. They're tired of it. Make a change before you lose the entire team. 

Edited by JMG5
  • Like 1

Obviously, none of us are happy with how the Saints offense is playing. It's the same unwatchable offense from last year. Carmichael should of been shown the door after last season, but he wasn't, so here we are. 

Here's my question though. Kamara went 13 for 33 on receptions. Do you guys think that was:

A) Designed plays because Pete has caught so much heat for not using Kamara in the passing game more.

Or

B) Captain Checkdown Carr. It seemed like he was more than happy to dump passes off underneath.

I think it's probably a combination of both, along with poor play calls that forced him to go to Kamara because there were no other underneath routes. I would be really interested in knowijt how many of those were designed passes to Kamara though. 

PS: The Taysom Hill experience needs to be laid to rest. I love Taysom. Love watching him run. He's such a bruiser. But Carmichael uses him too frequently and at all the wrong times. There was one drive in particular where I swear him and Carr switched every other play. How is your QB ever suppose to build a game rhythm doing that?

Mediocrity starts from the top. In this instance that is DA. For the love of Pete (oh yeah, suck on the pun DA!), get rid of DA and Carmichael, full stop. Dear Mickey: get the kool-aid stick out of your rear end and fire the dead weight... oh and the POS OLine coach too.

• Like 1

Positives - OL played great. Alvin looked explosive. Carr looks healthy.

Negatives - Pete. He has to go and he has to go now. His route concepts make no sense, he makes zero adjustments based off the defense. It's no coincidence our first drive (scripted) always looks so good and then the rest of the game is a disaster. DA should be in job saving mode, and is only hope at this point is to give Curry play calling duties and hope he can be better than Pete. 

• Like 2

Does anyone else remember the option play with Taysom at QB and Carr at RB with Kamara in motion that was a disaster? Taysom gets the snap, HANDS THE BALL TO CARR who fakes running up the middle briefly and hands it to Kamara running across the formation. 

This one play should have you fired. Why in the hell is Taysom taking the snap instead of Carr? Carr was no threat to run up the middle as a RB, but the used him like he was Taysom for whatever reason..?

2 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Does anyone else remember the option play with Taysom at QB and Carr at RB with Kamara in motion that was a disaster? Taysom gets the snap, HANDS THE BALL TO CARR who fakes running up the middle briefly and hands it to Kamara running across the formation. 

This one play should have you fired. Why in the hell is Taysom taking the snap instead of Carr? Carr was no threat to run up the middle as a RB, but the used him like he was Taysom for whatever reason..?

But it worked really well in Jr. High...

Maybe we could trade Carmichael to Denver for a 6th or 7th round pick 🤣

I'm guessing that everybody is blaming Carr's injury, and if that's the case, he shouldn't have been playing yet. Crab Legs is capable of losing a game for us - just like Carr - while Carr gets his shoulder healthy.

5 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

But it worked really well in Jr. High...

Maybe we could trade Carmichael to Denver for a 6th or 7th round pick 🤣

I'm guessing that everybody is blaming Carr's injury, and if that's the case, he shouldn't have been playing yet. Crab Legs is capable of losing a game for us - just like Carr - while Carr gets his shoulder healthy.

Indecision and misplaced loyalty are going to sink Allen's last chance at being a head coach. He lacks the ability to make tough, necessary decisions. It's why he will only ever be a good defensive coach and not a good head coach.

Edited by JMG5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

Indecision and misplaced loyalty are going to sink Allen's last chance at being a head coach. He lacks the ability to make tough, necessary decisions. It's why he will only ever be a good defensive coach and not a good head coach.

Which sucks because this disaster is going to cost us arguably the best DC in the league. Without Allen I wouldn't be surprised if we had a middle of the road, aging defense next year. Next HC better be an offensive guru or we are in for a long couple years.

• Like 2

You're starting to see a lot of what Raider fans were frustrated with Carr for over the years. I'm sure the OC is not doing him any favors, but you have to get something going with the talent they have at the skill positions. He's in year 10. 

Shoulder or not, he does this. He gets rattled easily. When he takes some big hits and in this case gets banged up, he shrinks. The check downs to Kamara are on brand. Once that pressure gets in his head, he starts looking at that check quickly. He doesn't let plays develop and doesn't want to stand in to make throws. 

I'd be curious to see the all-22 or someone break him down. I bet you'd find he's leaving a lot of yards on the field simply by not letting thngs develop.

I fear they are trying to make him something he's not. They want the offense to be explosive downfield as evident the first 2 weeks. But he's not that guy. His accuracy has fallen off some and his deep ball was never great. 

Allen is an awful HC and west coast Andy Dalton was never going to save his job. Just hope as a fan of the Saints, they clean house with this group. Are they stuck with Carr due to his contract? 

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You're starting to see a lot of what Raider fans were frustrated with Carr for over the years. I'm sure the OC is not doing him any favors, but you have to get something going with the talent they have at the skill positions. He's in year 10. 

Shoulder or not, he does this. He gets rattled easily. When he takes some big hits and in this case gets banged up, he shrinks. The check downs to Kamara are on brand. Once that pressure gets in his head, he starts looking at that check quickly. He doesn't let plays develop and doesn't want to stand in to make throws. 

I'd be curious to see the all-22 or someone break him down. I bet you'd find he's leaving a lot of yards on the field simply by not letting thngs develop.

I fear they are trying to make him something he's not. They want the offense to be explosive downfield as evident the first 2 weeks. But he's not that guy. His accuracy has fallen off some and his deep ball was never great. 

Allen is an awful HC and west coast Andy Dalton was never going to save his job. Just hope as a fan of the Saints, they clean house with this group. Are they stuck with Carr due to his contract? 

So he's been sacked 13 times in 4 games... "not letting things develop"? When the O-line becomes Swiss Cheese and your QB only has time to dump off a pass, that's what you get. The Saints rank 23rd in pocket time allowed, and rank 7th in QB sacks allowed. Couple that with ranking 25th in rushing yards with the likes of Kamara and anyone else you throw in the backfield, all things are pointing to a crappy O-line more so than a crappy QB.

Couple the poor playing O-line with an offensive coordinator who has zero play designing skills, and never calls the appropriate play at the right time... you get garbage results.

Carr's stats are still better than Aaron Rogers' this year.

Edited by Mid Iowa

Regarding Carmichael:

New Orleans managed just nine points and 197 yards Sunday in the 26-9 loss to the Buccs at home. It is the fifth time since the start of last season, when Pete Carmichael took over as offensive play caller, that the team has failed to score more than 10 points in a game.

Sunday also marked 10 consecutive games the Saints have been held to 21 or fewer points — what is now the longest active streak in the NFL. Yes, you heard that right. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I dont blame Carr at all tbh. Our route concepts are freaking pathetic. If anything he's holding the ball too long because our routes are all down field. Carr is literally the last person I'd blame for this offensive disaster, it is like...95% on Pete Carmichael. 3rd and 5? Every route is 20 yards down the field. 3rd and 15? Every route is 5-7 yards. Its pathetic.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So he's been sacked 13 times in 4 games... "not letting things develop"? When the O-line becomes Swiss Cheese and your QB only has time to dump off a pass, that's what you get. The Saints rank 23rd in pocket time allowed, and rank 7th in QB sacks allowed. Couple that with ranking 25th in rushing yards with the likes of Kamara and anyone else you throw in the backfield, all things are pointing to a crappy O-line more so than a crappy QB.

Couple the poor playing O-line with an offensive coordinator who has zero play designing skills, and never calls the appropriate play at the right time... you get garbage results.

Carr's stats are still better than Aaron Rogers' this year.

Raiders fans just desperately want Carr to suck so they can feel better about the decision to cut him. He isn't the problem.

• Like 2