Bye Week Reset

lumberjackchris

With all the injuries this team has endured ove the first 2 months of this season, we’re still right in the thick of the AFC South.

We haven't heard much in the way of our IR guys progress like Juice, Ridgeway, and Sting, but I'm hoping we see Juice and Ridgway's 21 day activation window open next week. Sting I'm assuming is still about a month out ish out. 

Evaluations

QB-  We have found our franchise QB, and it is glorious! CJ is learning and improving on the fly. Plays with amazing anticipation, and is wise beyond his years. Yes, he will go through some rookie growing pains, but with all that previously mentioned, I think the typical lows, won't be as low. (Please don't turn out to be a weirdo like our previous franchise QB)

Grade - A+

RB-  Pierce is having a tough time transitioning from the gap scheme of last year, to the outside zone based scheme of Slowik's. Which I find a little puzzling, because I thought he looked like he could be one last year. He's not trusting his vision, because there has been cut back lanes that open up, and he's to often just running into the mush. Really disappointing, but at least he wasn't a high end draft pick. There's still a spot on the roster for him as a goal line/change of pace back. Singletary on the other hand looks like one of the better additions this offseason, and Slowik has realized that DP isn't the greatest fit, and seems to be shifting towards Singletary at RB1, as was evident against the Saints. Fully expect us to take a RB on Day 2 or early Day 3 of the draft.

Grade - C-

WR-Nico is becoming a dude. Now, I think he's more of a low end WR1, top tier WR2 in a legit offense. (I still think we go WR Coleman from FSU or someone else in this deep WR draft in the 1st or 2nd round.) Woods has been the consistent vet presence a rookie QB needs, but he has had some key drops, like last week vs the Falcons. Brown has been injured, but played a decent bit yesterday. Slowik seems to favor the vets currently, with Metchie not getting much run yesterday, even though he's a great blocker. Slowik is starting to find ways to get the ball in Hutches hands, which tells you how much they like his skill set. I think he comes on at the season progresses. Hopefully Nicky C found another late round gem. 

Grade - B

TE- Offseason addition Dalton Schultz has come on strong over the last 3 games. He's turning into one of CJ's go to's. Now for the love of god, please stop using him as a blocker, or coach him up, because I've coached middle schoolers that could do better than he has. Brevin Jordan seems to make a catch every game, but all in all the position as a whole has been solid. Definitely could use an upgrade in the draft. (Pipedream Brock Bowers from UGA, or just give me the next Iowa TE coming out.)

Grade - C

OL- All in all in, with Howard missing a couple games, Tunsil working through a knee injury, Juice not seeing the field yet, and many more injuries, this group has been solid. We are definitely building championship level depth here. I loved what I saw from Kendrick Green before he went down, and he will be fighting for a starting G spot once healthy. 6th round rookie Jarrett Patterson has been a home run of a pick. Fant is going to be a solid swing tackle once we get healthier and can move Howard back to RT. While a lot of the success is due to CJ getting the ball out quickly, and Slowik scheming up help, the unit given all circumstances has been great. 1 sack given up over the last 3 games? 

Grade - B-

DL- Definitely the weak point of our defense, but they started to apply some better pressure yesterday. WAJ is learning on the run, and teams are paying a ton of attention to him. Greenard has been solid, and I hope we can ink him to a deal similar to the Whitney Mercilus deal from the past. Horton has done some good things as a late round rook. All in all, we need more talent/depth along the DL. I see us spending on IDL, and/or edge with all the FA money we have freed up for this upcoming offseason. 

Grade - C-

LB- BLAKE MOTHEREFFIN CASHMONEYMAN. The 5th year vet was brought in a couple seasons ago to be a ST's guy, and he's has been the one that has most benefited from Meco's hiring. Dude is all over the field. 15 tackles yesterday. Running step for step with WRs/RBs/TEs down the field. Making open field tackles. He does whiff on some, but that's something I'm sure they're working on, but we have a player at LB. To'o To'o for a mid round rook has been average, and Harris when healthy the same. I think we continue to see growth out of this group throughout the season. 

Grade - B+

DB- With Pitre and Ward back being the leaders of this defense, this unit is making strides. Steven Nelson is looking to get paid, and I hope we retain him. Griffin has been average, but not killing us. Ward's versatility like moving to slot CB yesterday helps a ton. And all this without former 1st round draft pick Stingley out.

Grade - B-

Coaching - With a rookie HC, OC, and DC, you knew there'd be some growing pains, but they are all learning and improving on the fly. Meco has brought an energy to this team that has revitalized this franchise and the exciting is back.

Grade - A-

Remaining Schedule

@ Carolina W

vs Tampa Toss up

@ Cincy L

vs Arizona Toss up

vs Jacksonville W

vs Denver W

@ Jets W

@ Titans W

vs Cleveland L

vs Tennessee W

@ Indy W

10 Wins would give us the division I belie, or squarely in the WC picture. 

Also fully expect to see the Texans flexed into some primetime slots this second half of the season. 

Edited by lumberjackchris
  • Like 4

We should have everyone healthy except Stingley coming out of the bye week. Stingley, I believe is still going to be 2 weeks or so away from coming back. We should get a W against the Panthers, at least I really hope so....but then we have back to back weeks that we need Stingley, but only at 100%. We play Mike Evans and Jamarr Chase in back to back weeks. 

Just looking at the schedule, lets say for arguments shake, that we beat everyone who is currently .500 or below (except the Bengals, im counting that as a loss just for the sake of argument), we would end up looking like this:

@ Panther (4-3)
Bucs (4-4)
@ Bengals (4-5)
Cardinals (5-5)
Jags (5-6)
Broncos (6-6)
@ Jets (7-6)
@ Titans (8-6)
Browns (8-7)
Titans (9-7)
@ Colts (10-7)

A lot storylines in this second half of the season.

An even home/away split would result in a 9-8 record. 

There is a 5 game stretch that we could seriously go 5-0 or 2-3 during, the Cards, Jags, Broncos, Jets, and Titans. 

Now throwing all that aside, here is my Predictions  

@ Panther W (4-3)
Bucs L (4-4)
@ Bengals L (4-5)
Cardinals W (5-5)
Jags L(5-6)
Broncos W(6-6)
@ Jets L (6-7)
@ Titans W (7-7)
Browns W (8-7)
Titans W (9-7)
@ Colts L(9-8)

I think we finish with a record of 9-8 and probably on the outside looking in with regards to the playoffs, but there is defiantly a range of 7-10 to 11-6 that we could go.  

• Like 2

@ Panther W 
Bucs L
@ Bengals L 
Cardinals W 
Jags L
Broncos W
@ Jets L 
@ Titans W 
Browns L
Titans W 
@ Colts W

I'm seeing it almost exactly how you're seeing it Pastor, except I think we lose to the Browns but beat the Colts in the rematch. Honestly, wouldn't be surprised to see us lose the rematch to the Colts, but would be more surprised  to see the Texans beat the Browns. 9-8 or 8-9 seems like a reasonable projection for us at this point. 

That being said, IF we beat the Panthers, then beat the Bucs, then beat the Bengals, all bets are off, and that seems like a genuinely possible thing. If we find ways to beat the Bucs and Bengals back to back and put together 4 straight wins here we might run the table.. 

Danielle Hunter.... Morton Ranch's finest.
What y'all think about a mid round pick this year (like 4th) and conditional pick next year (6th - if he doesn't re-sign + Vikings sending us a 7th // 5th if he re-signs on 1 year deal // 4th if he re-signs 2 year+ deal)

Probably too low of compensation. But I think he might be able to be signed as a FA if he goes elsewhere.

44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Perhaps he wasn't that good to begin with. 

Give Pitt a 6th for King and a 7th. That seems to be a popular move.

It would be interesting to see how the front office viewed him. On one hand most of us thought he’d play a role and then the front office cut him. I wonder if I’m heinsight they wish they hadn’t or if they really don’t think he fits the system. 

17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Does anyone have any injury updates for some of our guys who have been banged up? Who is gonna be 100% after the bye week?

Aaron Wilson tweeted a couple days ago that Tank is expected back after the bye and Juice’s practice window should open up.

Teams don’t have to publish an injury report on bye weeks, so will see what the report holds Wednesday