Week 11: Bengals @ Ravens

coordinator0

On 11/17/2023 at 7:32 PM, AngusMcFife said:

I'm seeing that Stanley will cost $26 mil against the cap to be on the team and would be $18 mil dead money if he was cut. 

So is cutting Stanley worth saving $8 million against the cap? I'd say no, given how expensive FA OTs are and how poorly they often turn out (this year I'm looking at Orlando Brown Jr. and Jawaan Taylor). 

Trading him after 6/1 would free up $15m. The choice could come down to Madubuike or Stanley and I’ll choose the former in that scenario.

This draft should have some LT options, Mekari isn’t a true dropoff in pass pro to Stanley this season and can work as a gateway option in the event that we don’t get that premier option on day 1 of the draft.

If trading Stanley could net either a 1st or high 2nd, I would make the trade.

On 11/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, Nobellythrower said:

This draft is deep with o line talent 

16 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Trading him after 6/1 would free up $15m. The choice could come down to Madubuike or Stanley and I’ll choose the former in that scenario.

This draft should have some LT options, Mekari isn’t a true dropoff in pass pro to Stanley this season and can work as a gateway option in the event that we don’t get that premier option on day 1 of the draft.

If trading Stanley could net either a 1st or high 2nd, I would make the trade.

If they aren't picking in the top-15 or so, there is little chance the Ravens will get a starting calibre LT in the draft. The Steelers traded up to grab a guy at 14 who wasn't even an opening day starter on the right side, let alone at the more difficult LT. 

I would not go into the year with Mekari at LT when we go against Miles Garrett and TJ Watt four times per year. He's fine in a pinch but it would be madness to expect him to hold up all year there with with his limited size and athleticism. 

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If they aren't picking in the top-15 or so, there is little chance the Ravens will get a starting calibre LT in the draft. The Steelers traded up to grab a guy at 14 who wasn't even an opening day starter on the right side, let alone at the more difficult LT. 

I would not go into the year with Mekari at LT when we go against Miles Garrett and TJ Watt four times per year. He's fine in a pinch but it would be madness to expect him to hold up all year there with with his limited size and athleticism. 

The decision isn’t so simple as going into the following season with Mekari or an elite All Pro LT. Otherwise I’d agree.

Rather it’s potentially giving up an elite interior pass rusher for an injury prone above average LT being paid elite tier money.

This is a situation where opportunity cost is the more important component. The Ravens have historically done a great job of recruiting veteran OL players to their banner.

It would certainly not be ideal to have our franchise QB potentially exposed to below average LT play if Mekari were to go down, yet Mekari offers at least a pillar. So Mekari plus FA veteran plus traitsy draft prospect LT would be more promise than many teams have across the league at least.

I think it’ll be easier for the team to address the LT situation considering the options than the DI pass rushing situation. It’s not often elite tier pass rushing DI options fall to the 3rd round. We can’t let such an option leave IMO. Let alone potentially go to another contender and wreck havoc against us.

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The decision isn’t so simple as going into the following season with Mekari or an elite All Pro LT. Otherwise I’d agree.

Rather it’s potentially giving up an elite interior pass rusher for an injury prone above average LT being paid elite tier money.

This is a situation where opportunity cost is the more important component. The Ravens have historically done a great job of recruiting veteran OL players to their banner.

It would certainly not be ideal to have our franchise QB potentially exposed to below average LT play if Mekari were to go down, yet Mekari offers at least a pillar. So Mekari plus FA veteran plus traitsy draft prospect LT would be more promise than many teams have across the league at least.

I think it’ll be easier for the team to address the LT situation considering the options than the DI pass rushing situation. It’s not often elite tier pass rushing DI options fall to the 3rd round. We can’t let such an option leave IMO. Let alone potentially go to another contender and wreck havoc against us.

Good points. It's a tricky situation. I wonder if they could restructure/extend Stanley (and some others) and tag Madubuike. I don't think the only option will be trade/cut Stanley or lose Madubuike. 

I just don't like the idea of getting rid of the LT without a viable replacement on the roster (and I don't see Mekari as that). 

If you look at some of these high price OTs (like for Bengals and Chiefs) who really aren't good, it makes me nervous to solve that position. 

• Like 1