Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

16 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Me personally, I don't understand this comment. I see this said frequently.  I don't see it like that. I say trade down if you don't think the QB there at 3 is worth it.  Three examples, Blake Bortles, Danial Jones and Baker Mayfield.  The teams were just like the Pats and forced the QB pick by the idiots running their teams.  I was laughing when they were chosen that high.   I always take a QB over a trade but they better be correct and not convince themselves he can play. Yes they all are risk but that's not a factor, if it is your in the wrong business.

I say this a nice as I can to any fans that force a QB choice in this draft.

Their idiots and don't listen to them. If a QB is not in the cards in this draft, so be it.  Also there's a risk/reward factor, you can take one in the later rds.  EJ Manuel was drafted by the Bills, he was a forced 1st rd QB pick. They needed a QB and he was the only one in the draft, horrible year for QBs. IMO that was a forced pick based on fan pressure, media and desperate need for a (any) QB.

Well if that's the case, take it from me, sit back and wait til Fredo Kraft leaves because we will be repeating (Sullivans) history.

MOF I'm to old to go through that crap show again.   I was a Red Sox fan. Now,  haven't watched a game in 4 years.

Now that funny. Burrow had zero faults coming out. Maye IMO there's plenty.

This is just me, I'm not a Maye fan at 3 . He panics and he has bad mechanics . I'm talking easy crap like setting up correctly  for a simple pass. Skills taught in HS.  Same thing that haunted Grogan and Bledsoe. Complete head scratch-er over and over when the pressure was high.  Remember the Pitt game (Brady hurt) Bledsoe made the winning pass ? Well the previous pass was a disaster and I was amazed  it wasn't picked off.

Also please don't tell me you would take another Bledsoe, that's not the point.

Here is what what you can do with a trade down if the QB is passed.

@prob2236 I did a draft simulator several times ( see if the players fell consistently at those draft spots) and this is what I come up with with a trade with Vikings. I take player that can play.  I don't take the potential over two player that I rate about the same and I minimize risk, if possible.

11  Bowers  ----Day one starter just made my offense MUCH better. Don't care about the TE not picked high crap. He's better than just a TE to any offense. Think Kelse.

23 Ladd McConkey  Here is the pass on potential WR such as Adonai Mitchell. IMO LC is a pro, day one high quality starter with no "maybe's", plug and play.

34. Jordan Morgan  Injured 2022 has all the tools and will be better after a year post ACL.  Alternative choice. Paul was still on the board.

Never force a QB if he's not there,. That's just me. 😉

Ya see I'm much higher on Maye.  He's defintly a boom or bust type prospect but his ceiling is better than any other QB in this draft.  He's also very young, making him the perfect one year short term project/developmental guy.  

Some of the other things you quoted me on are just different perspectives that I've found problematic or concerning that seem to be regular talking points from like the Tom E Currans or Mike Felgers of the world.  Arguments for trading back that don't make sense and almost negate the point of trading back.  Felger is the one on the "Trade back because Maye sucks, but the Patriots still need to prioritize QB in the first two rounds."

You may have said this very thing, but if I'm trading back for more picks then it means that I'm accepting the reality that a QB may not be in the cards for 2024.  You can see the value in the Pat's trading back and coming away with two receivers and a LT in the first 34 picks.  But I'm not passing on Maye and cornering myself into having to draft a Bo Nix type player just because I get an extra pick by settling for that.  

I personally want Drake Maye and perfer the route of sitting him while we add stability to offense before giving him the reigns.  I wouldn't be devastated if they traded back, but I'm going to much more critical on what they actually pick if they do pass on a QB.  I like a lot of the prospect names you threw out there as options, however, even if they nail those picks I won't feel like the direction of the team is pointed in the right direction until the plan at QB becomes more clear.  It's hard to assume you'll be in a good place to grab the rookie QB you like next year, and I'm mostly against the Pat's trying to fix the QB position with aged FA or last chance names that failed with their previous franchise.  The idea of stacking this roster only to hand it over to the 2027 FA equivalent of Russell Wilson scars the crap out of me.  I want them to prioritize QB, and if they don't think that #3 this year is the time to do it, then I'm worried about when that time will be.  I get that that's the madness of the draft and off-season, and there are no guarantees or obvious roads back to success in this game but it does feel like there is a lot riding on what happens in this year's draft.  Drafting the next Mitch Trubisky or trading back for a combo of Isiah Wynn and Nkeal Harry would be absolutely disastrous for this team.  They haven't had a really good draft in quite a few years and as a result they've really now run out of space to fail.  

2 hours ago, prob2236 said:

It's hard to assume you'll be in a good place to grab the rookie QB you like next year,

I see a great shot of getting a QB in the next draft if they play their cards right if they trade down with Vikings. They will have 2 1st RD picks in the top 15. That's based on QB situation Vikings will be in 2024 and where they are in this draft.

I see the Pats right back to where they are now in 2024. I don't see more than 2/4 wins. Everything is new and they don't have BB defense.  I also look at the Panthers being right back with the 1st pick in the draft and they don't need a QB and they need picks !!!!!.   WE are in perfect position to get the 1st pick in the draft, if everything falls the way I see it. Yes I know it just a guess but it has merit.

No I have not watch what's coming out but I did catch the Texas kid Quinn Ewers and he has my interest. I thought he was impressive against Washington. Has touch and a cannon. He also plays for a coach that know how to teach  NFL offense Last I could give a crap about the negatives that are out there such as no qb in this draft. Just wait the Bucky's will find some new great dope !!!!!

The idea of stacking this roster only to hand it over to the 2027 FA equivalent of Russell Wilson scars the crap out of me.

You and me both. I hated hearing that crap especially being 2/4+ years away. I call him a "money QB ". Pay me while I coast to retirement.

lot riding on what happens in this year's draft. 

The only thing I care about, get good players to fill in the holes. As they say Rome wasn't built in a day.

trading back for a combo of Isiah Wynn and Nkeal Harry would be absolutely disastrous for this team.

Just joking here.. You have BB draft- itis !!!!!  Come in off the ledge. Say it with me. No more BB drafts, No more BB drafts. !!!!!!!!

Now watch, in a month, I will be the one on the ledge, screaming for heads to role !!!!!

They haven't had a really good draft in quite a few years and as a result they've really now run out of space to fail.  

You have to let go of the past. Judge on this draft.   There is one thing thou and its Groh who is linked to the past failures, damn 🤢

Been taking part in a mock on here,

No trade backs.

My draft so far..

R1 Drake Maye QB

Gotta take a shot on QB here. If you hit, that's half the battle won.

R2 Kingsley Suamataia OT

Open competition at LT, Kingsley has the tools to make the spot his.

R3 Ja'Lynn Polk WR

Smooth route runner with great hands, plug and play guy for whoever picks him.

R4 Dominick Puni OG 

Another guy for the o-line. He can compete with the Strange and Sow for one of the interior spots.

R5 Nehemiah Pritchett CB

Toolsy corner with potential to start opposite Gonzalez.

I had the option to trade back with the vikings for 11+23 but like I said I think you have to try with the QB when you're picking this high.

Anyhow what do you guys think??

12 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

No trade backs.

My draft so far..

R1 Drake Maye QB

R2 Kingsley Suamataia OT

R3 Ja'Lynn Polk WR

R4 Dominick Puni OG 

Another guy for the o-line. He can compete with the Strange and Sow for one of the interior spots.

R5 Nehemiah Pritchett CB

I had the option to trade back with the vikings for 11+23 but like I said I think you have to try with the QB when you're picking this high.

Don’t hate it. Anything that goes QB/WR/T 1-2-3 in some order is going to be relatively well received. 

I’d double dip at tackle, though. Onwenu can always slide back to guard if, by some odds, you hit on both tackles. 

Who else was available besides Polk? Kind of view him as a pure jump ball guy, and he’s lower on the very deep list of WRs that I think would fit here.

21 minutes ago, Soko said:

Don’t hate it. Anything that goes QB/WR/T 1-2-3 in some order is going to be relatively well received. 

I’d double dip at tackle, though. Onwenu can always slide back to guard if, by some odds, you hit on both tackles. 

Who else was available besides Polk? Kind of view him as a pure jump ball guy, and he’s lower on the very deep list of WRs that I think would fit here.

Devontez Walker

Jalen McMillan 

Brenden Rice 

Jermaine Burton

Malik Washington

Those 5 went after I picked Polk.

I see Polk as a better prospect than those guys tbh.

55 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

Devontez Walker

Jalen McMillan 

Brenden Rice 

Jermaine Burton

Malik Washington

Those 5 went after I picked Polk.

I see Polk as a better prospect than those guys tbh.

I’d lean more for Walker or Burton, just because WRs with a field stretching element are things the offense have been dying for, more so than a contested catch guy. 

On 3/29/2024 at 4:17 AM, DTMW78 said:

No trade backs.

My draft so far..

R1 Drake Maye QB

R2 Kingsley Suamataia OT

R3 Ja'Lynn Polk WR

R4 Dominick Puni OG 

R5 Nehemiah Pritchett CB

Not a fan of Maye however and excellent draft.

The King and Polk and Puni great choices.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:17 AM, DTMW78 said:

No trade backs.

My draft so far..

R1 Drake Maye QB

R2 Kingsley Suamataia OT

R3 Ja'Lynn Polk WR

R4 Dominick Puni OG 

R5 Nehemiah Pritchett CB

R6 Fabien Lovett SR DT FSU

Another high upside guy, plays the run very well but pass rushing needs some work.

I like Suamataia, but he’d probably be a liability early in his career. He’s toolsy but very raw. Needs coaching up. So possibly a bit rich for the draft position, but I don’t hate it 

I’d like that draft, yeah 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I like Suamataia, but he’d probably be a liability early in his career. He’s toolsy but very raw. Needs coaching up. So possibly a bit rich for the draft position, but I don’t hate it 

I’d like that draft, yeah 

Here's a tape that back's you up. Very Raw. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8QVM6FXpU&t=11s

He's raw pass blocking however I look at the " butt" and the feet, for a big man he can move and anchor which is big factor why I like him. Also he can play all 5 positions which make him a draft choice that will make the roster and contribute. Big plus at this point we need players.

His run blocking is impressive.

11 hours ago, m haynes said:

Here's a tape that back's you up. Very Raw. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8QVM6FXpU&t=11s

He's raw pass blocking however I look at the " butt" and the feet, for a big man he can move and anchor which is big factor why I like him. Also he can play all 5 positions which make him a draft choice that will make the roster and contribute. Big plus at this point we need players.

His run blocking is impressive.

Yeah some of those highlights are brutal 

I think using our top end 2nd round pick on him is too rich. Hopefully someone like Fautanu might drop and be there for us? He looks really good, explosive, sure footed etc. but he may go in first 

On 3/28/2024 at 5:35 PM, m haynes said:

snipped

which of these picks annoyed you the most? Maybe even rank them….(we are talking at the time he picked them)

Cyrus Jones

NKeal Harry

Sony Michel

Isaiah Wynn

Keon Crossen

Dominic Easley

Malcolm Brown

Cole Strange

i understand this is revisiting past trauma, but ya know, sometimes confronting it head on can be cathartic haha

Edited by Hunter2_1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

which of these picks annoyed you the most? Maybe even rank them….(we are talking at the time he picked them)

Cyrus Jones

NKeal Harry

Sony Michel

Isaiah Wynn

Keon Crossen

Dominic Easley

Malcolm Brown

Cole Strange

i understand this is revisiting past trauma, but ya know, sometimes confronting it head on can be cathartic haha

Well this should be fun!!!! Some I liked !!!!! I going to be honest which shows drafts not perfect and I can be an idiot.

Start off with the TV smashers.

Dominic Easley ----  I knew it , i just frigging knew it from the jump. Draft Bucky's were talking about a surprise pick in the 1st before the draft started.  I hate Florida Gators players, they never work put with the Pats this goes back to Gus Scott days .  Also what idiot drafts a guy with 100 ACL injuries !!!!!  The worse pick ever.

Cole Strange.  AYFKM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was the trade that really puts it up there with Easley. They ended up with Zippy and Jack Jones.  Desperate for a CB in this draft they pass on Trent McDuffie. Than to kick me in the junk again,  they follow this pick with the one WR I hated in the draft, I knew he stunk 10 minutes after the 4.2. I never heard his name before the combine. Idiots draft Baylor offensive players,  FACT. They caused this OG need !!!!!!

Two other TV smashes that you did not list,  Dugger and Justin Rohrwasser.

Taking a small school risk when there are many players on the board from big schools with a history. We are desperate for a TE, they pass on the best in the draft Cole Kmet and take two stiff later in this draft trading multiple picks to get frigging Dalton Keene. 34 catches in college career!!!!!!! Players past on, Grant Delpit, Antoine Winfield Jr.. Dugger over All American Winfield the player I wanted bad. On of my favorite in that draft.  Risk is a MAJOR reason why this pick stunk at the time and I still have the same philosophy today. Who in their right mind would ever take a player from Bunkerhill Community over Georgia and Alabama????????? Nuts.

Rohrwasser while the best kicker in the draft sitting there taken a round later by the Bills Bass. Did they even look up this kids background ?????????????

NKeal Harry,  WTF  I loved Debo. I didn't hate the player because he was listed as a top WR but he wasn't on my radar. 40 time was an issue.  One look after and I knew he stunk. Ran like a duck, 100 steps into his breaks. Just like 4.2 Thornton.

Note:  Here is two buzz phrases that should make you cringe. NEVER TAKE A WR WITH THIS IN HIS BIO.  Great on 50/50 balls and great red zone threat. Meaning, he's big and slow and can't separate and he's big and we can just throw it up and he'll catch it bull crap. Pats history of big targets WR never happens not once !!!!  Moss doesn't count due to his 4.3 speed !!!!😁

Malcolm Brown  Did not mind the pick at 32,  IMO 2015 draft was crap. He's was a DL from Texas. I didn't really look him up before the draft,  thought he would go much earlier. Looked up other positions of need that year.  Like this draft I'm  not looking at OG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keon Crossen  Who?? He was a 7th RD pick ?????  @Hunter2_1 is this you, Crossen? 🤣 If so, he was the greatest 7th RD pick ever !!!!!

Cyrus Jones  Loved the pick, 2nd RD you kidding me, boy did I miss this one !!!!!

Isaiah Wynn  I was shocked they took him (height) ... in a good way. He was a perfect pick, everything I would look for in a LT and a huge need. I didn't know he was made out of glass !!!

Sony Michel  Complete shock. I liked the player, fit need perfectly didn't know he had hands of stone. Never look at him before that pick.  I bought in on the pick, just like all the Pats homers, he's our guy crap !!!!!  Dugger and Zippy are the best BS crap. 

Note, I prayed we didn't take L Jackson. I didn't want to watch him for the next 10+ years. I still do, he can't win with his style and it doesn't last. This is just me, watching him would be like watching the wishbone, bored out of my mind. That's  another reason why I hate Fields, he the same without the (average) LJ passing skills.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, m haynes said:

Well this should be fun!!!! Some I liked !!!!! I going to be honest which shows drafts not perfect and I can be an idiot.

Start off with the TV smashers.

Dominic Easley ----  I knew it , i just frigging knew it from the jump. Draft Bucky's were talking about a surprise pick in the 1st before the draft started.  I hate Florida Gators players, they never work put with the Pats this goes back to Gus Scott days .  Also what idiot drafts a guy with 100 ACL injuries !!!!!  The worse pick ever.

yeah I don’t understand. I just don’t understand, and I didn’t at the time.

don’t forget as well, this is the guy that admitted he watches cartoon rather than game tape. It’s like he was deliberately trying to not be drafted

but…GUESS WHO MAKES HIM A FIRST ROUND PICK.

Two other TV smashes that you did not list,  Dugger and Justin Rohrwasser.

oh ok, I didn’t hate the Dugger pick. I like his style of play - flying around banging people and we needed to get faster at the time, I seem to remember. But drafting a kicker, no matter what circumstances, is dumb! You can get them on the free market. We’ve done it again, and he’s trash!

NKeal Harry,  WTF  I loved Debo. I didn't hate the player because he was listed as a top WR but he wasn't on my radar. 40 time was an issue.  One look after and I knew he stunk. Ran like a duck, 100 steps into his breaks. Just like 4.2 Thornton.

Note:  Here is two buzz phrases that should make you cringe. NEVER TAKE A WR WITH THIS IN HIS BIO.  Great on 50/50 balls and great red zone threat. Meaning, he's big and slow and can't separate and he's big and we can just throw it up and he'll catch it bull crap. Pats history of big targets WR never happens not once !!!!  Moss doesn't count due to his 4.3 speed !!!!😁

taking a look at the list of WRs that came after Harry is a disgusting and uncomfortable read

Keon Crossen  Who?? He was a 7th RD pick ?????  @Hunter2_1 is this you, Crossen? 🤣 If so, he was the greatest 7th RD pick ever !!!!!

Damnit, I meant Duke Dawson!

Cyrus Jones  Loved the pick, 2nd RD you kidding me, boy did I miss this one !!!!!

Isaiah Wynn  I was shocked they took him (height) ... in a good way. He was a perfect pick, everything I would look for in a LT and a huge need. I didn't know he was made out of glass !!!

Sony Michel  Complete shock. I liked the player, fit need perfectly didn't know he had hands of stone. Never look at him before that pick.  I bought in on the pick, just like all the Pats homers, he's our guy crap !!!!!  Dugger and Zippy are the best BS crap. 

Note, I prayed we didn't take L Jackson. I didn't want to watch him for the next 10+ years. I still do, he can't win with his style and it doesn't last. This is just me, watching him would be like watching the wishbone, bored out of my mind. That's  another reason why I hate Fields, he the same without the (average) LJ passing skills.

Fair enough. Good post

whilst I’m on one, look at the 2019. How much of a disaster is this? A draft class of only 5 years into its tenure should be making up a chunk of your roster, no?

N’Keal Harry, Joejuan Williams, Chase Winovich, Damien Harris, Yodney Cajuste, Hjalte Froholdt, Jarrett Stidham, Byron Cowart, Jake Bailey, Ken Webster 

Precisely ZERO of those are in the squad 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

yeah I don’t understand. I just don’t understand, and I didn’t at the time.

don’t forget as well, this is the guy that admitted he watches cartoon rather than game tape. It’s like he was deliberately trying to not be drafted

but…GUESS WHO MAKES HIM A FIRST ROUND PICK.

oh ok, I didn’t hate the Dugger pick. I like his style of play - flying around banging people and we needed to get faster at the time, I seem to remember. But drafting a kicker, no matter what circumstances, is dumb! You can get them on the free market. We’ve done it again, and he’s trash!

taking a look at the list of WRs that came after Harry is a disgusting and uncomfortable read

Damnit, I meant Duke Dawson!

Fair enough. Good post

whilst I’m on one, look at the 2019. How much of a disaster is this? A draft class of only 5 years into its tenure should be making up a chunk of your roster, no?

N’Keal Harry, Joejuan Williams, Chase Winovich, Damien Harris, Yodney Cajuste, Hjalte Froholdt, Jarrett Stidham, Byron Cowart, Jake Bailey, Ken Webster 

Precisely ZERO of those are in the squad 

Williams  forgot another TV smasher.  A player out of no where. The Bucky's start talking about this CB (freak) numbers and he the flavor of the draft. Gut kick in, please not the Pats, please, with a  trade BB selects !!!!! Fudge !!!

Chase Winovich bought into the motor he showed at Mich.  I thought he could be like Bruschi change his position to ILB. They kept him outside and he was out of control, flashed than gone. 

Yodney Cajuste  Like the pick. Guy with injury risk, later in the draft. However risk factor should be reasonable not 5 years on the IR!!!!!

Damien Harris Really liked however I had a feeling he wouldn't last due to his running style. In college he stood up and would never get low, take a hit, injured.  He did the same thing in the NFL. A power back that lead with his chest !!!

I've never seen a RB get more injuries to the sternum !!!!

Byron Cowart, i love these types, never played to his potential in college in the later rounds, but do a better back round check if you take one. 

I questioned his desire to be a player. He showed skills but never applied it after the 1st camp. What a waste. He was rag doll-ing players in camp !!!!

Hjalte Froholdt    Kid had no clue, it was funny watching him.  He was the, " put me in coach " type player. No football knowledge but built like a brick wall.  I had a laugh, he panned out like 10 years later after getting drafted !!!!!!! Saw him of TV with the Browns.

Stidham, Always take the QB, He looked the part but never put it together. Always wondered what would of happen if his 1st pass wasn't a HORRIBLE interception.

Also I have to question rich boy syndrome, does he have the mind set and desire.

Ex Zach Wilson. Life handed to him on a plate. why work, do you know who I am !!!  That's the crap as fans we don't see. It comes out after he fails !!! 

Note  Check on JJ McCarthy. He has some yoga crap he does at the goal post before games. They hype that crap before every game, like he's some guru football servant   He's IMO real cocky. Has he been punched in the mouth (in life) yet.

Something doesn't sit right with me. He shot up the draft since Harbough said he was the greatest. The draft Bucky's ran with it and now he's in the top 3 conversation ???  Can you say Tray Lance !!!!

He played for Mich. That's like Field playing for OS and Mac playing for Alabama.  Can he actually succeed in the NFL?

I missed the combine but my son watched and he was not impressed at all with his performance.  That is a big question mark. When his tape show very little with him passing. I can't beleve more fans don't see this.  It just adds to the question about his skill level.

Two excuses, I love.

He didn't pass because they didn't need him to or it's how Harbough runs his offense. Bull crap, he had Luck throwing coming out the locker room.

Football is a ego sport your telling me they wouldn't open it up playing Butt U University !!!!

• Like 1