Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

Let's start couch scouting for future Pats. 😁

It all starts with the Conference championships.

I look at players based on what going on with the current Pats. IMO they have nothing much on the offensive side and need help on defense as well

Watched last night Bo Nix and Michael Penix Jr.. not impressed.

They would struggle like Mac. They need help, without it they have zero impact.

Bo Nix needs serous coaching. He reminds me of Steve Grogan.  Cheering him on a play screaming at him on another.

Michael Penix Jr. needs time in the pocket, if pressured holds the ball and forces the play. We have no help for his game.

Pass on both in the 2nd RD.

Quinn Ewers  I only saw him 1st Q today.  I understand the hype from HS wow. Has a cannon and showed touch.  Need to watch him going forward. Came home Texas put up 50 + !!!

I have heard all the negatives however I don't care what the Bucky's say.  The same people said  Calab Williams is the greatest college QB prospect ever and 2 weeks later they have Maye going 1st !!! They also had Danial in the 2nd RD!!!  Note I did hear he had a bad inception however he's putting up 50 .

So far based on the limited knowledge on all the QB's I don't see any worth a 1st pick FOR THE PATS. We don't have the team to help.

Edited by m haynes

Starting to add to my prospect list.

Number one pick right now

Olu Fashanu  He is 2024 John Hannah. He will be one of the best OT in the NFL. Tremendous feet, balance and strength and he' only 20 years old !!!!!

We don't have to worry about LT for the next 15 years.

WR, here the guys I like at this time.

Malik Nabers ---   IMO he close to MHJ.   I trade the pick if Harrison on the board, move down get Nabers,  we need picks to fill holes Both will be stars.

Rome Odunze

Jalen McMillan

Troy Franklin

Note

Washington receiver Rome Odunze and Jalen McMillan combined for 233 receiving yards -- 102 for Odunze and 131 for McMillan. Oregon's Troy Franklin had just four catches for 34 yards

Xavier Worthy            My favorite WR in the 2nd RD

I love this kid.  He has all the skills. They say he drops because of size. I could care less, he can play.

He can be just as effective as MHJ other than sizing up a DB, big deal. You get quality in the 2nd round using the 1st on Olu

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Putting those two in the same sentence is borderline criminal.

I agree that Nabers is pretty close. 

I still say JJ McCarthy will be the best QB in the draft and I think the Patriots have to take a QB in the first round. 

Barring some wild free agency/offseason trades, really seems like NE is set up to either take one of the top QBs early on, or take a blue chip guy (Fashanu/Alt/MHJ) and then grab one of the QBs who fall. Gonna be nervous about QB that’s not Williams, tbh. 

Trading down for a haul would have it’s merits, but I think the team could needs a QB + real quality talent on offense more than it could use extra ammo. Give me a can’t miss tackle/MHJ over the extra picks. 

1 hour ago, jofos said:

I still say JJ McCarthy will be the best QB in the draft and I think the Patriots have to take a QB in the first round. 

McCarthy seems sorta meh at everything, tbh. Which doesn’t mean he can’t be good, but banking on the guy having everything in the brain and enough in the body, is how the team got into Mac Jones. Sometimes it works (Purdy, Hurts) but with a top pick seemingly on the come up, I’d be nervous not picking someone with more talent. I fear McCarthy ends up being another guy that won’t succeed without having a stacked offense, which I hope comes to fruition of course, but I’d rather swing on the upside.

If NE takes one of the elite prospects or punts out of the top 5 all together, I wouldn’t be opposed to a McCarthy later or even in the second. Just think I’m more tantalized by Daniels and Penix among the second tier guys (after Williams and Maye). Man, I really hope the reports are wrong and Ewers declares. That’d shake things up a lot.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Putting those two in the same sentence is borderline criminal.

That's not the point. I know Harrison a better WR. It all about building a roster. IMO a Elite LT has more value than a WR. I also know the teams would trade a boat load for Harrison.

You still come out with a quality WR. History shows WR picked in the 2/3 RDs become AP. Not so much LTs.

7 hours ago, jofos said:

I'm back and fourth on him however yesterday really turned my head. I finally got to see his passing skills. The last two games I watched he was average (passing) at best.

I really impressed with his game and have to watch him going forward.

5 hours ago, Soko said:

that won’t succeed without having a stacked offense

This is the major problem I see with all the QBs in this draft. 

Ex I thought Lawrence and so did everyone else on the planet would take the NFL by storm but it didn't happen he needs help. I don't see one QB with his skill level and physical ability in this group by a wide margin.

That the problem for today's prospects. Pats have nothing to offer, they are horrible on the offensive side with several holes to fill.

JJ McCarthy might be the best fit with his skills. He not the best by no means but as I mentioned, trade down the 1st and pick up help. He fits based on the current roster.

Let me do the trading/ picking  keep everyone on the Pats away from the draft .😁 Especially trading picks.

I have my eye on the Cards and the Commanders to teams that are run by egos and fools.

EX Commanders, with trade, you come out with high pick and additional  picks at the top 2nd RD.

Note that my concern taking WR high in the draft. You do that, he is waving his hand all season !!!!!! 

Yes it not flashy but you have to block or you don't have a chance.

8 hours ago, Soko said:

McCarthy seems sorta meh at everything, tbh. Which doesn’t mean he can’t be good, but banking on the guy having everything in the brain and enough in the body, is how the team got into Mac Jones. Sometimes it works (Purdy, Hurts) but with a top pick seemingly on the come up, I’d be nervous not picking someone with more talent. I fear McCarthy ends up being another guy that won’t succeed without having a stacked offense, which I hope comes to fruition of course, but I’d rather swing on the upside.

If NE takes one of the elite prospects or punts out of the top 5 all together, I wouldn’t be opposed to a McCarthy later or even in the second. Just think I’m more tantalized by Daniels and Penix among the second tier guys (after Williams and Maye). Man, I really hope the reports are wrong and Ewers declares. That’d shake things up a lot.

McCarthy's numbers are not great because Michigan runs the ball.  The arm talent is great and he has solid mechanics. Comparing him to Mac Jones is completely off, Jones rarely made an NFL throw in college because of lack of arm strength and supporting cast, McCarthy throws and completes out routes from the opposite hash mark like it's nothing. McCarthy can make any through. 

I am not sold on either Williams or Maye.  Williams has ability and shows good football awareness, but on everything you read on him one of the first things listed as a strength is off platform throwing ability. Before Patrick Mahomes off platform throwing wasn't what you wanted from a QB and unless you actually have Mahomes it's still not. I think Williams college style will transfer to the NFL similarly to the way Justin Fields style did. 

Maye has a good arm but I don't think he is anything special. Pull up a highlight video of Maye and if it's an eight minute video the first three minutes will be of him running against some directional school. He also doesn't have great mechanics.

Quinn Ewers is an interesting guy. He has tons of ability and bad footwork. He makes easy throws look hard and hard throws look easy at times. If the Patriots draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round I'd be okay but right now I'm just not sold on him. 

What i'm getting here is that thre are many opinions on the QB's. and I can understand why. Nothing pops at this time.

IMO as mentioned the top two are over hyped and both have negatives. Now if you combine that with the crap we have on the roster I'm leaning to trade the pick or draft a stud for 15 years OLU.

I write this knowing things will change going forwards. As they say nothing is etched in stone.

2 hours ago, jofos said:

McCarthy's numbers are not great because Michigan runs the ball.  The arm talent is great and he has solid mechanics. Comparing him to Mac Jones is completely off, Jones rarely made an NFL throw in college because of lack of arm strength and supporting cast, McCarthy throws and completes out routes from the opposite hash mark like it's nothing. McCarthy can make any through. 

I compare him to Mac in the sense neither have elite physical traits. McCarthy’s arm is probably a little better, but it’s not something I’d say is a strength. He’s got probably the weakest arm of this class (amongst the top prospects in discussion). 

The fact that Michigan is a run first team,  had elite coaching, and didnt play great competition - these are not things that help out MCarthy’s case. Like, that could be a reason for him not having sky high numbers, sure, but it also means we’re not sure what he looks like when he’s passing first and relied upon to be throwing frequently against better competition. 

2 hours ago, jofos said:

I am not sold on either Williams or Maye.  Williams has ability and shows good football awareness, but on everything you read on him one of the first things listed as a strength is off platform throwing ability. Before Patrick Mahomes off platform throwing wasn't what you wanted from a QB and unless you actually have Mahomes it's still not. I think Williams college style will transfer to the NFL similarly to the way Justin Fields style did. 

I fail to see how being good at platform throws is a bad thing? If he was bad at everything else, then sure, be he isn’t.

Williams isn’t really similar to Fields at all. Better arm talent, less mobile, better mover in the pocket, more accurate, made more difficult throws. Fields is a slow decision maker, only played with loaded weapons, and wasn’t asked to do as much. 

Fields sucks largely because he doesn’t/didn’t have the IQ for the position, which is arguably the hardest thing you could project for a QB. If you could, then Brady and Purdy wouldn’t have gone on Day 3, and Manziel, Jamarcus, Rosen, and Leaf wouldn’t have gone on Day 1. Hurts, Allen, and Lamar are recently guys who, as college QBs, I’d have never thought would translate to the NFL from a passing POV, and here they are. 

Williams’ true red flag is really his personality. I’m not going to crucify this kid but at bare minimum you could say he’s got a lot more maturing to do. Not sure I can recall anyone with his maturity turning it around at the QB position, and I’m not sure that’s a fit in NE, unfortunately. Also, doubt NE lands #1, and I think that’s where Williams goes anyway.

2 hours ago, jofos said:

Maye has a good arm but I don't think he is anything special. Pull up a highlight video of Maye and if it's an eight minute video the first three minutes will be of him running against some directional school. He also doesn't have great mechanics.

Admittedly, Maye does make me nervous. Big, strong, mobile, with a big arm - used to be a big red flag. More Osweilers and Bortles out there than Allen’s and Herbert’s. Still, I think if you’re picking a QB in the first round, you don’t pass on talent. Settling for McCarthy over Maye (assuming NE is picking 2nd/3rd) is definitely that.

2 hours ago, jofos said:

Quinn Ewers is an interesting guy. He has tons of ability and bad footwork. He makes easy throws look hard and hard throws look easy at times. If the Patriots draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round I'd be okay but right now I'm just not sold on him. 

Largely moot, because chances are he’s staying at Texas.