Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

3 hours ago, viking said:

11, 23 & 2025 1st

You guys taking it for #3?

I’d rather the Pats take who they deem the franchise QB at 3. JJ McCarthy is my guess for who they think that is. Followed by basically a tie between Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye but Jayden with an edge.

If the trade is Justin Jefferson, 2025 1st, and both picks 11 & 23 for #3 and 34 this year, then okay. I think the Pats might do that. But I believe they will stay at 3 unless blown away like that.

• Like 1

Jefferson is not coming to you, or any team, in a trade. might as well take that off your radar screens.

the Viking GM doesn't take my calls any more (since the whole restraining order thing...) but it sure looks like we're trying to move up to 3, 4, or 5. any lower than that, then Vegas or Denver could jump us.

but our GM does say he has "multiple layers of contingencies" that can play out, as any GM would say at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Jefferson is not coming to you, or any team, in a trade. might as well take that off your radar screens.

the Viking GM doesn't take my calls any more (since the whole restraining order thing...) but it sure looks like we're trying to move up to 3, 4, or 5. any lower than that, then Vegas or Denver could jump us.

but our GM does say he has "multiple layers of contingencies" that can play out, as any GM would say at this point.

I don't think the Patriots consider anything with the Vikings without Jefferson involved. You gotta pay to come up and get your QBOTF. Just the cost of business. Maybe 11, 23, 2025 1st + another high pick or Addison may be considered. It's clear the Patriots want a high end talent at WR (if they're going to give up their rights to draft a top QB).

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

JJ McCarthy is my guess for who they think that is

Wasn't it Daniels just a few days ago? Sometimes I feel like you just want to throw everything at the wall so you can come back and say you were right later on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Wasn't it Daniels just a few days ago? Sometimes I feel like you just want to throw everything at the wall so you can come back and say you were right later on.

I think he is counting on the Commanders to take Daniels. I would rather have McCarthy.

11 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Your preference 

Well, it has been my stance for a while. I may be wrong. I feel that McCarthy is better now than both Maye and Daniels and he has way more upside. The biggest thing hurting McCarthy is volume, he hasn't done things as much, but if you look at the tape there isn't anything that an NFL QB is asked to do that, he hasn't shown the ability to do. It's just that he hasn't done it as much as you might expect from a top tier QB. 

J.J. McCarthy vs Drake Maye: The Numbers Will Surprise You (youtube.com)

Edited by jofos

7 hours ago, jofos said:

I think he is counting on the Commanders to take Daniels. I would rather have McCarthy.

That or the Vikes trade up for Maye.

11 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

This year I’ve been pretty indecisive compared to normal but I’ve been mostly on the idea that Daniels is their guy since early-mid January. In early December before the season was over I posted that Marvin Harrison Jr. should be the pick and trade back up into the first for Jayden Daniels. At that time the alternative I suggested to trading back up for Daniels was taking Penix or JJ McCarthy in the second round at 34 overall. A lot has changed since then in terms of Daniels and McCarthy; both are going top 10 now for sure it seems.

I’ve been wrong in my predictions a lot however. I thought they would try to sign Mike Evans and Baker Mayfield would follow. I also thought that if that didn’t happen then Jacoby Brissett was the likeliest veteran QB they’d sign.

I jumped onto the Daniels hype while maintaining that Rattler is underrated and would make sense if they took a WR or OT high as much as any other QB that’s been project in the second round or higher.

After seeing McCarthy at the combine I think he looked bigger than many expected and his 3-cone time was one of the best this year regardless of position. Now with rumors or reports about the Pats interest in McCarthy and other teams trying to trade up for him, I think my feeling has shifted away from Daniels being a lock if available at 3.

Adding up all the rumors and direct quotes of toughness/leadership that the Pats have made about the QB position, I think McCarthy is who they select ultimately. That’s my final prediction for the draft. I wanted them to trade down for picks and select Joe Alt or even take him at 3 but I don’t expect that.

Maye I liked a lot before this past season but I never thought he’d be an option for the Pats because I didn’t expect the Pats to have the second worst record in the NFL. Then seeing how Maye regressed this past season and that the Pats are in position to get him at #3 overall it’s difficult to fathom. If the Kraft’s see a new age Drew Bledsoe in Maye and maybe swing focus back to him or get enticed by the celebrity and prospect of Caleb Williams here then maybe there’s a scenario where they meddle but that’s highly unlikely. Regardless, I don’t really think either Maye or Williams align with who Elliot Wolf and the scouts want most for #3. I don’t know if the Kraft’s are adamant that the team not trade out of their top pick or have taken it a step further and let it be known they just need to land one of these top four pick QB’s prospects.

It’s a tough year for us to know with a new regime in place especially in a year with a very impressive draft class at literally the three highest positions of need for Nee England; QB, WR, OT. I have shifted around and got different feelings through this process before and after the combine and free agency. There are so many viable and plausible directions and they all seem equally as likely.

The other unique aspect is how rare it is to see a draft where the top three or four picks are all expected to be QB’s. So figuring out what is likely with the Bears and Commanders is a part of the equation with the shifting expectations of who is available for the Pats to take or pass on in the first place.

Edited by DoleINGout

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

That or the Vikes trade up for Maye.

This year I’ve been pretty indecisive compared to normal but I’ve been mostly on the idea that Daniels is their guy since early-mid January. In early December before the season was over I posted that Marvin Harrison Jr. should be the pick and trade back up into the first for Jayden Daniels. At that time the alternative I suggested to trading back up for Daniels was taking Penix or JJ McCarthy in the second round at 34 overall. A lot has changed since then in terms of Daniels and McCarthy; both are going top 10 now for sure it seems.

I’ve been wrong in my predictions a lot however. I thought they would try to sign Mike Evans and Baker Mayfield would follow. I also thought that if that didn’t happen then Jacoby Brissett was the likeliest veteran QB they’d sign.

I jumped onto the Daniels hype while maintaining that Rattler is underrated and would make sense if they took a WR or OT high as much as any other QB that’s been project in the second round or higher.

After seeing McCarthy at the combine I think he looked bigger than many expected and his 3-cone time was one of the best this year regardless of position. Now with rumors or reports about the Pats interest in McCarthy and other teams trying to trade up for him, I think my feeling has shifted away from Daniels being a lock if available at 3.

Adding up all the rumors and direct quotes of toughness/leadership that the Pats have made about the QB position, I think McCarthy is who they select ultimately. That’s my final prediction for the draft. I wanted them to trade down for picks and select Joe Alt or even take him at 3 but I don’t expect that.

Maye I liked a lot before this past season but I never thought he’d be an option for the Pats because I didn’t expect the Pats to have the second worst record in the NFL. Then seeing how Maye regressed this past season and that the Pats are in position to get him at #3 overall it’s difficult to fathom. If the Kraft’s see a new age Drew Bledsoe in Maye and maybe swing focus back to him or get enticed by the celebrity and prospect of Caleb Williams here then maybe there’s a scenario where they meddle but that’s highly unlikely. Regardless, I don’t really think either Maye or Williams align with who Elliot Wolf and the scouts want most for #3. I don’t know if the Kraft’s are adamant that the team not trade out of their top pick or have taken it a step further and let it be known they just need to land one of these top four pick QB’s prospects.

It’s a tough year for us to know with a new regime in place especially in a year with a very impressive draft class at literally the three highest positions of need for Nee England; QB, WR, OT. I have shifted around and got different feelings through this process before and after the combine and free agency. There are so many viable and plausible directions and they all seem equally as likely.

The other unique aspect is how rare it is to see a draft where the top three or four picks are all expected to be QB’s. So figuring out what is likely with the Bears and Commanders is a part of the equation with the shifting expectations of who is available for the Pats to take or pass on in the first place.

something that might help you - what sort of OC is VanPelt and what sort of QBs has he used or liked to use in his career so far? Is his philosophy indicative of one or the other (Jayden or Drake)? I honestly don’t know, but it could be a clue 

for example if he only likes to use classic pocket QBs and Maye goes 2nd, he could potentially consider the trade instead of drafting Daniels. Take a different QB in tier 2 or whatever

Edited by Hunter2_1

If Maye is not there at 3 (not buying Daniels jumping him), I think I'm team trade down. I don't see Daniels as the same tier as Williams and Maye, and if they can get 3 firsts, I think they almost have to. Something like 11, 23, and a 2025 first from Minnesota.