Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

On 2/29/2024 at 1:34 PM, vike daddy said:

in just looking over some of your posts here, guys, it look like you feel the Pats should stand pat and take a QB at 3, hopefully Maye if he's there.

so why all the chitter chatter online about NE being willing to trade down?

Sincerely,
a Vikings fan who would like to trade up

You can find chitter chatter online about anything. There’s chitter chatter that the Vikings could/should trade Justin Jefferson too. 

It’s smoke season, there’s been stuff out there about virtually every possibility. Maye, Daniels, best OT/WR, trading back. Only thing not being talked about is trading up, which is fine.

Trading back makes sense, but only if they aren’t going QB at 3. I mean, I’m not against going MHJ, but if you can trade back and still land a top tackle + a SRP, that’s a win too. WR is going to be deep, you’ll get talent there. So again, if you’re okay with not going QB at 3 (whether that means grabbing Penix later, or someone in FA), then you could come away with three guys at positions of need (QB, WR, OT) instead of two, even if one of them isn’t THE blue chip. 

All options, aside from trading up, have merit. I don’t think NE can screw this up by doing something with their ammunition, but they can by taking bad players. What they do as far as trading back or going OT or going WR - it’s almost can’t lose with how this draft class is shaking out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The New England Patriots are widely expected to take a quarterback with the No. 3 pick in next month's NFL draft. Some in Jayden Daniels' camp are reportedly hoping that's not him.

Phil Perry of NBC Sports Boston reported some people close to Daniels "would really rather he not come to New England" due to the harsh winter weather.

Daniels grew up in San Bernardino, California before playing college football at Arizona State and LSU, so he does not have much experience playing in colder weather. Chad Graff of The Athletic reported there have been some scouts expressed concern about Daniels' 210-pound frame, but the Patriots have no issues with his hand size, which comes in at a middling 9 5/8 inches.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10111763-patriots-rumors-some-in-jayden-daniels-camp-hope-team-doesnt-pick-qb-in-2024-draft

Ya, I mean I'd definitely rather have Maye.  I had heard that story true but I wonder how much of that is true.  I just can't imagine a players camp throwing out info that that player is concerned about playing in cold weather.

1 hour ago, prob2236 said:

Ya, I mean I'd definitely rather have Maye.  I had heard that story true but I wonder how much of that is true.  I just can't imagine a players camp throwing out info that that player is concerned about playing in cold weather.

Especially since the other options are Chicago, Washington, among trade ups maybe NY, or Denver lol. If this were true*, kinda throwing all your eggs in the Atlanta/LV basket…

Do you think the Pat's have a shot at Adonai Mitchell with their round 2 pick?  I've fallen in LOVE with this kid and think his combine was excellent.  6 foot 4 inch, 200lbs runs a 4.35 40 and looks so smooth catching the ball.  Sign me up!  I'm worried a lot of people have him moving up boards post combine though and he could go early 20s now.

1 hour ago, prob2236 said:

Do you think the Pat's have a shot at Adonai Mitchell with their round 2 pick?  I've fallen in LOVE with this kid and think his combine was excellent.  6 foot 4 inch, 200lbs runs a 4.35 40 and looks so smooth catching the ball.  Sign me up!  I'm worried a lot of people have him moving up boards post combine though and he could go early 20s now.

if they miss out on him, then there are still so many other receivers. That will be there at 34 and in the third round too. I also really like Xavier leggette second round if he is there and Keon Coleman. The third round is just gonna be full of receivers, as well as the second half of the second round. Really shouldn’t be concerned about missing out on a starting impact receiver on day two. I actually think that is where the best receivers may come from as opposed to the highly rated ones that are projected to go in the first round. 

11 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Heck no after watching the Combine. Tape is real good and than he killed it at the combine. He was right their with the best WR at the combine McConkey.

Posted (edited)

Possible moves if the QB is not worth the 3 pick. I'm not a fan of both however Maye might be in the mix. They see more than I do. Danial's perfect trade bate for idiot teams.

1. Alt at 3, not this year. To many quality OT, some might need to learn however this is at least a 3/4 rebuild.  That's the way I look at it.

2. WR at 3 no way in heck without a QB or OL.

6. Trade the pick WISELY. Have a eye on a QB if he's worth the risk.  TRY to fill the holes in on the roster with high end quality players.

ex trade down and try to stay within the top 8 picks, where I consider the break point of elite players.

Giant and Atlanta are the hots trade rumors. However there is always a dumb schmuck GM/owner that will pay idiot capital to get their guy. EX Daniels and MHR.

I'm looking at players in bold.  Red picked. one of the players in bold will be there at 6 or 8 picks.

Caleb Willliams

Jayden Daniels

Drake Maye

Marvin Harrison Jr.  Possible 3/4 pick

Brock Bowers

Malik Nabers

Joe Alt

Olu Fashanu

6th pick   My choice Joe Alt

8th pick  Fashanu -----worse scenario at 8th pick, Brock Bowers.  Boy I hate it when the worse scenario is a generational talent !!!!!!

Yes I know QB is top priority however I'm not forcing it because Kiper and Bucky approve. I seen to many wash outs in the last 50 yrs. Yes I'm old deal with it!!😁🤣

What I would be looking for is a QB that can run the offense, nothing fancy. I would never swing for the fences for someone like Joe Milton high in the draft.  JUST a example of risk reward.

The QB I like is Rattler based on his talent history. I could care less about his history crap. Again it return on investment Rattler in the 3rd is a much better risk than Penx, Bo, JJ at 34.

I'm walking out of the draft with

6 Alt

34 Adonai Mitchell, Keon Coleman, Ladd McConkey, Xavier Worthy, Xavier Legette

39 Kingsley Suamataia, T'Vondre Sweat, Patrick Paul

68 Jalen McMillan, Malachi Corley, Javon Bullard

70  Here's where I Look at Rattler not sure if he's a 3/4 rd grade?

Giants trade is just example I have no clue what is realistic.  Like do they get 2025 high picks?

My best draft at this time would be picking 

6 Alt,

34 McConkey,

39 Susmataia,  Great pick, he can play all 4 OL position and is a quality OT !!!!

68 Jalen McMillian.

70 Rattler pick here based on Pats intel where he's going in the draft.

Pats are right back next year at the top of the draft. IMO 99 %

Now you zero in on needs in 2025 with the extra draft capital with the NY trade.

ADDED   Long time Pats fan, I have seen what a great OL can do with a GOOD QB, Elite WR picked after the OL was set.

"The New England Patriots have the most rushing yards by a team in a season, with 3,165 yards in 1978."

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-team-rushing-yards-in-a-season-in-patriots-history

Edited by m haynes

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

If the Pats don’t end up taking Joe Alt at 3 or he is gone before their pick whether it’s third overall or later in a trade down, my second favorite OT is Patrick Paul for the Pats.

I  like 6 OTs in the early rds.  Paul is one of them.

1 Joe Alt

2. Olu Fashanu

3. Kingsley Suamataia

4. Patrick Paul

5. Jordan Morgan

6. Kiran Amegadjie

If Taliese Fuaga could play LT he would be high on my board as well.

RT,  he's 2nd on my list behind,  Kingsley Suamataia who is one of my favorite in this draft who plays everywhere on the OL at a high level.

Edited by m haynes

If NE trades down and - let’s say they stay within the top 8 picks - does the conversation start and end with a 2025 FRP? Or does the WR/OT depth in R2 make is feasible where you’d consider #3 for #5-8 + a high SRP this year (and maybe some change)?

You’d be pointing on Maye/Daniels and very likely Alt/MHJ, but you’d have three picks in the top 40 in a pretty deep class.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Soko said:

If NE trades down and - let’s say they stay within the top 8 picks - does the conversation start and end with a 2025 FRP? Or does the WR/OT depth in R2 make is feasible where you’d consider #3 for #5-8 + a high SRP this year (and maybe some change)?

You’d be pointing on Maye/Daniels and very likely Alt/MHJ, but you’d have three picks in the top 40 in a pretty deep class.

1st I look at this as a 3/4 plan.

There are no quick fixes. Offense need QB , RB 2/3 (should draft replacement for Steve.), 3/4 WR.  Douglas not reliable (size injuries) as a WR , 3 OL, TE . Totals of 9 on offense. Desperate this draft, 6, QB, RB, WR OL.   Leave out defense this post.

I would look at OL with a trade down with a eye on the board. I would never be commit to any player on the board. Alt's the prize however I'm still listening. Lets say you move down again and get Fanu with additional picks. Like you mentioned this draft is loaded for the Pats to fill many needs to speed up the process, if they hit.

Pats in 2025 will be at the top of the draft again. I not saying this to be negative however we are starting from scratch and we need players.

My guy is Jimmy Johnson. IMO one of the best building a roster in NFL history.

Remember he was 1- 15 his 1st YR.  He also traded his best player for a boat load and we know the results.  You should of heard the homer fans when that happened !!!!

Same will happen when the Pats trade the 3rd pick. If they stay there and pick ALT, that's BS, huge fail.  That ASSET is a major trade piece with QB and over hyped MHJ on the board.  Remember EVERY YEAR some fool GM gives away the farm to move up.

Perfect draft year for the Pats to make a killing with a trade.

Generational player, please. Gonzo shuts him down when he comes to town for another team.

That the way I would do it. Players/picks are asset, the more the merrier.

The Pats are the Dallas Cowboys minus the  rookie QB Troy Aikman and I'm sure as heck, don't see one in this years draft !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS  I not talking about BB trading.

He traded mostly for a given player which I hated or over spent to get them. Name two off the top of my head, Dalton Keane and Joejuan Williams.

Edited by m haynes

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So Daniels doesn’t want to come here because it can get cold? 

haha. Great winning mentality. Imagine Brady, a California kid, saying something line they. I can’t either 

He denied that report, FWIW. 

• Like 2