Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

On 2/28/2024 at 1:22 PM, prob2236 said:

If Wolf brings the "Packer way" to New England then I think Drake Maye with no hesitation to sit him for a year if he or the team isn't ready.  Everyone compares Maye to Herbert but he I think the better comparison is Jordan Love.

He reminds me a little of Matthew Stafford.  He has better mechanics than Jordan Love.

I get there are issues with Mayes game, which has apparently been the theme of the combine so far, but I'd still take him in a second.  I mean when Merrill Hodge said that Maye isn't an athletic QB I also crapped myself.  There are things to pick apart but for the love of God, the kid led his team in rushing two years ago.  If Maye has problems it's not going to be that he's not a good enough athlete.  I mean let's get real here.

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

we got #11 for ya!

but at the same time, the cost of the Vikings going up to the Pats' #3 is listed at three 1st round picks, minimum. so i'm really not wild to do that to our near future either.

so perhaps getting JJ McCarthy at 11 or slightly higher for less than those three 1st's would be the way we go.

good fortune to you guys! i've been a Pats admirer for a long time, and before it was fashionable to do so.

You loved those Tony Eason/Scott Zolak days.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

we got #11 for ya!

but at the same time, the cost of the Vikings going up to the Pats' #3 is listed at three 1st round picks, minimum. so i'm really not wild to do that to our near future either.

so perhaps getting JJ McCarthy at 11 or slightly higher for less than those three 1st's would be the way we go.

good fortune to you guys! i've been a Pats admirer for a long time, and before it was fashionable to do so.

i’m familiar with you daddy. i’ve been a visitor and on/off poster dating back to 2006. i do think o’connell is probably hellbent on getting mccarthy and will ultimately trade up to get him

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Maye is probably the guy available at 3 and probably the pick the pats make but i think they just as badly want joe alt on a trade down inside the top 7

I get the desire for Alt and in my opinion, if they don't want a QB then he should be the pick.  Honestly I'm just not a fan of that approach. 

While there's dozens of examples of QBs taken in the top 3 that didn't work out, I think there are just as many examples of teams that tried to build first and where never able to find the guy later on.  Joe Thomas was a hall of fame LT, but how many playoff games did he even appear in over his career, two?  The Rex Ryan Jets had some loaded rosters, Mark Sanchez was ultimately an Achilles heel.  I'd rather be the team that has the guy at QB but needs a tackle and receiver, then be the team that has the tackle and receiver but needs to find the QB.

I also don't think the next few draft classes are expected to be great for QBs, unless your able to get the top guy, probably at #1 overall.  I think Maye can be good if you don't try and force it to soon.  I think there are plenty of examples of QB who had red flags who exceeded expectation because the team took their time.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Be patient on the drafts when it comes to QB. Invest in the right fit with the right team around to develop.

I cant hate on your take too much because I think there are a lot of people who agree with what you just said.  I just completely disagree.  

QB is way to important of a position to not prioritize it, maybe the most important position in sports when you consider the leap that some teams take when they find a truly special guy.  If you have a pick like #3 OA and a chance to get a QB that is graded high enough to be taken there, you take him.  Are MHJ, Joe Alt and Fashanu "safer picks?"  Most definitely.  But QB isn't a position that you can just put off and figure out down the road.  That's how you end up drafting a Mac Jones.  Not the right guy, but a guy who plays the right position.  Once we start improving and start drafting in the teens and early twenties then the QBs we'll have realistic shots at will largely be decided for us by the team's drafting in front of us.  The only other option you have at that point is trying to go the Rams Matt Stafford route, and those opportunities are few, far between, and typically are short term one shot deals.  

Don't make this complicated.  Draft Drake Maye.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:34 PM, vike daddy said:

in just looking over some of your posts here, guys, it look like you feel the Pats should stand pat and take a QB at 3, hopefully Maye if he's there.

so why all the chitter chatter online about NE being willing to trade down?

Sincerely,
a Vikings fan who would like to trade up

Wooo he’s back. Overcome the mob after being cancelled for simply speaking logic. Welcome.

if Maye is there I’d be running the ticket up myself. If he goes, I’d like to grab Harrison or possibly the best OT. Trade back would be my next option 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

and if he's taken at #2, then what's your best option?

Good question, I've been commenting on Maye more because it seemed going into the combine that he was the one sliding and that Daniels was on the rise.  

I'm so pro them taking a QB that I'd still want Daniels, but don't like him as much as I do Maye.  I think Daniels is an injury waiting to happen, and while Lamar Jackson has shown how electric players like that can be I think the jury is still out on whether or not you can win with that kind of QB.  More than anything I hate the idea of trying to get the Patriots back on course with a FA QB.  I think the position is too important and don't like the idea of building up the rest of the roster only to band-aide at QB.

• Like 1

The New England Patriots are widely expected to take a quarterback with the No. 3 pick in next month's NFL draft. Some in Jayden Daniels' camp are reportedly hoping that's not him.

Phil Perry of NBC Sports Boston reported some people close to Daniels "would really rather he not come to New England" due to the harsh winter weather.

Daniels grew up in San Bernardino, California before playing college football at Arizona State and LSU, so he does not have much experience playing in colder weather. Chad Graff of The Athletic reported there have been some scouts expressed concern about Daniels' 210-pound frame, but the Patriots have no issues with his hand size, which comes in at a middling 9 5/8 inches.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10111763-patriots-rumors-some-in-jayden-daniels-camp-hope-team-doesnt-pick-qb-in-2024-draft