2023 Week 14: vs Bills

onejayhawk

The officiating has been poor throughout the league this season, but I think you’re seeing this reaction from Reid and the players because the Chiefs really have had to overcome extra scrutiny from the officials this year. Given how the super bowl ended last year it’s not surprising that the Chiefs are getting some additional attention from the officials. I think the Jawaan Taylor debacle during week 1 just added to the league’s urgency to prove the Chiefs aren’t favored by the officials. And now Jawaan Taylor is getting flags that no other players get. 

The offsides yesterday was another clear example of a different standard being applied to the Chiefs this year. I acknowledge Toney is a uniquely undisciplined player but let’s be real- you don’t make that call, at that time, for a ticky tack foul that in no way impacted the play, unless you’re trying to send a message. I could get into the whole back and forth regarding whether Toney should have been given a warning by the officials but I think the most important thing to recognize is that this penalty has not been called once in Andy Reid’s career and hasn’t been called against the Chiefs since 1997. To throw that flag in that moment all but confirms that there was an agenda behind it.