Early 2024 Mock...

mwalker

I'm assuming we pick up a day 2 pick somehow, trade down, etc.

RD1  OT T.Fuaga / A.Mims
RD2  OC S.Van Pran / J.Powers Johnson
RD3  WR M.Corley
*RD3  LB D.Lawson
RD4  CB K.Jackson
RD4  SS  J.Hicks
RD6  DL K.Randolph
RD7  DL F.Lovett

• Like 1

Fuaga probably the safer choice as Mims stays dinged up/injured.

Pran is the athletic whereas Johnson is the mover.

Meh on Corley.

Lawson is a sophomore (redshirt)? So I'm not sure if he leaves.

Jackson is a monster! Love this selection.

I like Lovett but not crazy about the others.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Fuaga probably the safer choice as Mims stays dinged up/injured.

Pran is the athletic whereas Johnson is the mover.

Meh on Corley.

Lawson is a sophomore (redshirt)? So I'm not sure if he leaves.

Jackson is a monster! Love this selection.

I like Lovett but not crazy about the others.

I really like Fuaga at RT.
Like both centers, but depends what they're looking for.
Have you watched Corley play? Amazing after the catch. Could be a great slot.
Lawson may or may not, if not, someone like Cooper, Hopper or Gray could be there instead.

• Like 1

I love your first two rounds targets/contingencies…I do like really DT Sweat in the second, though. If there were two positions that could be addressed solidly through FA I would want them to be center and safety, as I think there is better value in upgrading in those slots. So, our top draft needs would the. become RT, DT, CB and ILB…

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 6:55 PM, rlon said:

I love your first two rounds targets/contingencies…I do like really DT Sweat in the second, though. If there were two positions that could be addressed solidly through FA I would want them to be center and safety, as I think there is better value in upgrading in those slots. So, our top draft needs would the. become RT, DT, CB and ILB…

Fabien Lovett is slotted perfectly at 114 on the draft board in terms of player and in terms of positional need of mater dei. What that means is you take him at least 15 picks before that bc that's the value of the board. As players slip past (or approach) the board, they become valuable or wake up calls that hey - no one else in the league thinks this guy is any good and maybe he shouldn't be on the board.

I would take him with the Weidl pick.

I hope Broderick can make a smooth transition to LT.     I am not against taking another OT in rd 1 necessarily, but I dont want to end up with two RTs and no LTs.     I know Broderick has the capabilities, obviously...but he has looked really good at RT and Im hoping we dont lose something after we move him.

We definitely need a center.   In fact, he may be our top need.    Coming into this season, I thought Cole would be an okay stopgap until we found a long term replacement, but he is clearly the weakest link and seems to forget how to snap a football, so I am not even sure if he is quality backup material right now.  But, I suppose you could do worse.

Im not really high on drafting an OT in round 3 or later.   If we are going to do that, we should probably just stick with what we have.    I know you can get some decent WR talent in rd 3 sometimes, but I think our issue is we are missing that top guy.    I think they should go into FA and see if they can get anyone,  and then possibly trade DJ.    If they dont get anyone in free agency, they may as well just stick it out with DJ.     They very likely arent going to find a replacement for him in rd 3, especially in year 1.

All of this being said, if we end up keeping Sullivan as our OC, I dont really care what happens.      Its more than likely just going to be a repeat of what we seen happen going from late season 2022 into the 2023 regular season.

On 12/31/2023 at 8:58 PM, mwalker said:

I really like Fuaga at RT.
Like both centers, but depends what they're looking for.
Have you watched Corley play? Amazing after the catch. Could be a great slot.
Lawson may or may not, if not, someone like Cooper, Hopper or Gray could be there instead.

I didn't watch him this year but a year or two ago I did as they had a QB I was curious about. I'm not too high on sub 6' WR that weigh over 200 pounds. Gives me James Washington vibes 👀 even though they play different positions/roles.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I hope Broderick can make a smooth transition to LT.     I am not against taking another OT in rd 1 necessarily, but I dont want to end up with two RTs and no LTs.     I know Broderick has the capabilities, obviously...but he has looked really good at RT and Im hoping we dont lose something after we move him.

We definitely need a center.   In fact, he may be our top need.    Coming into this season, I thought Cole would be an okay stopgap until we found a long term replacement, but he is clearly the weakest link and seems to forget how to snap a football, so I am not even sure if he is quality backup material right now.  But, I suppose you could do worse.

Im not really high on drafting an OT in round 3 or later.   If we are going to do that, we should probably just stick with what we have.    I know you can get some decent WR talent in rd 3 sometimes, but I think our issue is we are missing that top guy.    I think they should go into FA and see if they can get anyone,  and then possibly trade DJ.    If they dont get anyone in free agency, they may as well just stick it out with DJ.     They very likely arent going to find a replacement for him in rd 3, especially in year 1.

All of this being said, if we end up keeping Sullivan as our OC, I dont really care what happens.      Its more than likely just going to be a repeat of what we seen happen going from late season 2022 into the 2023 regular season.

Broderick Jones is flying high in terms of confidence and is the catalyst for this running game to get going. You can see he is developing a game with different moves and nearly on every play that pops you can look at Broderick Jones and see his block was a seal, or a toss out of the club, and is the reason we sprung one in the open field. Right tackle and right guard are some of the more interesting positions on the line. You got the old throw Fuaga at RT, and if he doesn't pan out, kick him inside to guard. That's just really no respect for the offensive line as a whole and how it works as a cohesive unit. It's somewhat indicative of taking a RT that works in his manor and try him at LT. Or even like taking Dan Moore (the Fuaga RT, you could try at RG) and mashing him in at LT and throwing up your hands like oh, well -_-

In respect to the interior, the mashing of potatoes is preferred, but only in the peel and dice fashion, not just blitzing a baked potato, and having at it, which is to say, an interior offensive line presence is needed, as long as it is a good one. See "Spice Rack" (South Dakota State). Right guard is another way to say, any guard, that's not a tackle trying to play guard, because he will need to be stout (like a guard) but also quick and have flexibility, because one of the key attributes to a guard is pulling and getting out in space, and having a guy that's not athletic will really limit the line as a whole. As they ebb and flow (up or down) someone has to pick up your slack, and they will [resultingly] ebb and flow together. The left guard, a little more difficult to find, because he needs to be everything. 

Patrick Paul has the skillset required to play left tackle in the NFL. Do you dare double down and give the qb some time or just we'll figure it out as we go? B| He's kind of like the Ark Pine Bluff 2nd rd pick Terron Armstead as the massive frame and athleticism doesn't require much in terms of movement to shut down the defender. He is very raw and technically much could be cleaned up from his game but the slate is playable.

DJ loses trade value, just like Minkah Fitzpatrick, because of the massive contract that comes with them. They are nearly valueless because of this fact. It's almost like an NBA trade where you take on the salary and we'll give you a bag of chips in return. As you sit motionless questioning what you just did for these chips that you didn't want in the first place. 

See Jim Harbaugh making rumblings and maybe $15m gets it done for him. Then maybe Mike plays ball a bit and waits and goes now I can get $20m. The idea of cooking your brother twice a year is the only reason to leave Michigan. Maybe he could pry the DC from his paws. You'd just need a hip trickster to spin that yarn at the OC position. I'm not sure who this would be, but I read Brian Hartline was making waves. Not sure how accurate that is. And then, of course, we got Forbes, Munchak, and posts pertaining to mitch and we got @3rivers vote ;)