John Metchie

Patrick66

Due to horrific bad luck, John's career hasn't yet been what he and we had hoped it would be.  I was very hopeful that John was going to be a major contributor this season in the WR room.  That hasn't happened.  We can only hope that next season, John will break out and be the receiver we all hoped he could be.  Do you think he will?  

I think yall should have tampered your expectations on him this season.  This season was technically his rookie year.  Yall must have forgotten he didn't play at all last season.  It's too early to give up on him.  Plus with the emergence of Dell he wasn't going to get a ton of catches anyway especially with Collins, Woods, Dell, Brown and Schultz in front of him.

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I think yall should have tampered your expectations on him this season.  This season was technically his rookie year.  Yall must have forgotten he didn't play at all last season.  It's too early to give up on him.  Plus with the emergence of Dell he wasn't going to get a ton of catches anyway especially with Collins, Woods, Dell, Brown and Schultz in front of him.

Let's hope that John's health remains good and that he can be a big contributor next season.

I'm honestly worried about what Metchie will become. By no fault of his own, he has not played and so I have to judge him differently.

What I have not seen from him is flashes. I went back to his Alabama tape and I didn't see much that stood out besides route running but even that hasn't really translated yet. We've seen a couple flashes from Hutchinson but nothing from Metchie. Not a broken tackle that he picks up 10 more yards. Not a pass play where he gets past a defender. Everything has been short distance and he dropped the 1 TD he could have had. I hate to sound negative about him because that is not my intent. But even Quessenberry eventually had to be let go after his diagnosis. Bottom line business.

He may get just one more offseason. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I'm honestly worried about what Metchie will become. By no fault of his own, he has not played and so I have to judge him differently.

What I have not seen from him is flashes. I went back to his Alabama tape and I didn't see much that stood out besides route running but even that hasn't really translated yet. We've seen a couple flashes from Hutchinson but nothing from Metchie. Not a broken tackle that he picks up 10 more yards. Not a pass play where he gets past a defender. Everything has been short distance and he dropped the 1 TD he could have had. I hate to sound negative about him because that is not my intent. But even Quessenberry eventually had to be let go after his diagnosis. Bottom line business.

He may get just one more offseason. 

This is my assessment as well. Yes, this was a rookie season following two issues (torn ACL in college and his diagnosis last season) but in his time on the field this season? He's been outplayed by pretty much every WR on roster. You see Hutchinson acclimating himself and getting chunk yards but you don't see that from Metchie - he runs a route, makes a catch and that's about it. They're both rookies; One shows improvement and incremental growth, the other is just... stagnant.

With a WR on the shopping list next season (possibly an alpha WR as well) Metchie might be on a bubble next off-season. It's unfortunate, but he's got to show a return on that investment.

• Like 1

I am not sure he will ever make it. I think he is a candidate to be cut after the pre season next year. He went through something terrible and we can all have sympathy for him and we certainly do. He was already rehabbing a serious knee injury when we drafted him, and then a year of cancer treatment and the guy is just not physically what he was projected to be. There have been a few guys who have gone through this and returned to the field and played at a high level, but not many. 

that's why I think we give him an off season, but he is firmly on the "potential cuts" list in 2024. We did the right thing in seeing him through his treatment, playing him for a year knowing that he wasn't gonna be worthy of a roster spot, and now we give him a entire off season and see what he can become, but if its anything near what we got this year, then we can let him go. 

I am more than willing to give him an excuse for his body being out of shape, but he doesn't get a "this was his rookie year" pass. He was a 2nd round pick who was healthy all season on a team that was wrecked with injuries and he managed to average 1 catch and 10 yards per game. It very well could be the knee injuries he experienced that have caused a lot of his decline too. 

So I am all on board with giving him the off season and pre season but he has to earn a roster spot in year 3, its not held for him like year 2 was. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:00 PM, ET80 said:

This is my assessment as well. Yes, this was a rookie season following two issues (torn ACL in college and his diagnosis last season) but in his time on the field this season? He's been outplayed by pretty much every WR on roster. You see Hutchinson acclimating himself and getting chunk yards but you don't see that from Metchie - he runs a route, makes a catch and that's about it. They're both rookies; One shows improvement and incremental growth, the other is just... stagnant.

With a WR on the shopping list next season (possibly an alpha WR as well) Metchie might be on a bubble next off-season. It's unfortunate, but he's got to show a return on that investment.

Unfortunately. this is the nature of professional sports and even life itself.  If the NFL doesn't work out maybe he can become a GA (graduate assistant) at an NCAA program and get into coaching.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I am not sure he will ever make it. I think he is a candidate to be cut after the pre season next year. He went through something terrible and we can all have sympathy for him and we certainly do. He was already rehabbing a serious knee injury when we drafted him, and then a year of cancer treatment and the guy is just not physically what he was projected to be. There have been a few guys who have gone through this and returned to the field and played at a high level, but not many. 

that's why I think we give him an off season, but he is firmly on the "potential cuts" list in 2024. We did the right thing in seeing him through his treatment, playing him for a year knowing that he wasn't gonna be worthy of a roster spot, and now we give him a entire off season and see what he can become, but if its anything near what we got this year, then we can let him go. 

I am more than willing to give him an excuse for his body being out of shape, but he doesn't get a "this was his rookie year" pass. He was a 2nd round pick who was healthy all season on a team that was wrecked with injuries and he managed to average 1 catch and 10 yards per game. It very well could be the knee injuries he experienced that have caused a lot of his decline too. 

So I am all on board with giving him the off season and pre season but he has to earn a roster spot in year 3, its not held for him like year 2 was. 

Yep.  Robert Woods remains under contract for 24' but Noah Brown currently does not.  What management does about re-signing Brown or another through FA or drafting a WR might give us a hint as to management's prognosis of Metchie's 24' chances.  

CJ was interviewed on Monday by Pat McAfee and he said that he, Tank and John are all best friends.  I imagine the three of them and perhaps others will be working out together in the offseason and so, hopefully, John will be ready to explode next season.   Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Blaze said:

Metchie had his best game as a pro. Looked comfortable with his hands and the routes he was asked to run. Had a 27yd catch

Today was a confidence booster for him. Hopefully he can build on it.

• Like 2