2024 Offseason Thread

Emerica

Well, the time has come. Early playoff exit once more. Lots of big decisions looming for Chris Grier

Free Agents to be

Player Pos. 2023 Team 2024 Team Type Snaps Age Current APY
Connor Williams C Dolphins   UFA 45.3% 27 $7,017,500
Cedrick Wilson Jr. WR Dolphins   Void 49.6% 29 $5,000,000
Christian Wilkins IDL Dolphins   UFA 80.9% 29 $3,859,774
Braxton Berrios WR Dolphins   UFA 41.5% 29 $3,500,000
Andrew Van Ginkel EDGE Dolphins   UFA 65.7% 29 $2,650,000
Isaiah Wynn RT Dolphins   UFA 35.7% 29 $2,300,000
Robert Hunt RG Dolphins   UFA 49.8% 28 $2,016,436
Nik Needham CB Dolphins   UFA 6.4% 28 $1,825,000
DeShon Elliott S Dolphins   UFA 84.0% 27 $1,770,000
Chase Claypool WR Dolphins   UFA 17.3% 26 $1,654,159
Eli Apple CB Dolphins   UFA 49.9% 29 $1,600,000
Salvon Ahmed RB Dolphins   UFA 12.3% 26 $1,450,000
Raekwon Davis IDL Dolphins   UFA 45.1% 27 $1,413,878
Kendall Lamm RT Dolphins   UFA 55.8% 32 $1,317,500
Tyler Kroft TE Dolphins   UFA 3.9% 32 $1,265,000
Justin Bethel CB Dolphins   UFA 11.2% 34 $1,242,500
Jake Bailey P Dolphins   UFA 32.9% 27 $1,232,500
Brandon Jones S Dolphins   UFA 41.9% 26 $1,218,276
Bruce Irvin EDGE Dolphins   UFA 3.8% 37 $1,165,000
Justin Houston EDGE Dolphins   UFA 15.9% 35 $1,165,000
Melvin Ingram EDGE Dolphins   UFA 8.6% 35 $1,165,000
Robbie Chosen WR Dolphins   UFA 12.3% 31 $1,165,000
Jonotthan Harrison C Dolphins   UFA 0.8% 33 $1,165,000
River Cracraft WR Dolphins   UFA 16.8% 30 $1,080,000
Da'Shawn Hand EDGE Dolphins   UFA 17.9% 29 $1,080,000
Calvin Munson LB Dolphins   UFA 2.1% 30 $1,010,000
Elijah Campbell CB Dolphins   RFA 11.0% 29 $1,010,000
Robert Jones RG Dolphins   RFA 38.1% 25 $818,333
Alexander Johnson LB Dolphins   SFA 0.0%

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Christian Wilkins, Robert Hunt, and Connor Williams are the priority resignings I think. I'd like to retain Van Ginkel but I don't think we'd be able to afford what he'd be looking for (although maybe his injury changes things).

I think Wilkins is a goner.  Last thing I read was he is still expecting to set the DT market and as much as I like him, he just hasn't ever been worth the top player or even top 5 players at his position IMO.  Additionally, and I said this about when we paid Suh too, DT is NOT one of the 5 critical positions and therefore should NEVER be one of the top 5 highest positional salary caps on the team.  Due to positional value Van Ginkel resigning would probably be a much better value depending on injury status and market......Van Ginkel is just way more likely to have high production than Wilkins.  Additionally, Van Ginkel played well as an ILB backing up Baker and is useful in nickel and dimes due to his high grade coverage and pass rush performances.

Between Hunt and Williams, I prefer to resign Williams, but Hunt would probably be much cheaper.  Depending on the likely restructures of Chubb and T. Hill we hopefully can bring back both.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I think Wilkins is a goner.  Last thing I read was he is still expecting to set the DT market and as much as I like him, he just hasn't ever been worth the top player or even top 5 players at his position IMO.  Additionally, and I said this about when we paid Suh too, DT is NOT one of the 5 critical positions and therefore should NEVER be one of the top 5 highest positional salary caps on the team.  Due to positional value Van Ginkel resigning would probably be a much better value depending on injury status and market......Van Ginkel is just way more likely to have high production than Wilkins.  Additionally, Van Ginkel played well as an ILB backing up Baker and is useful in nickel and dimes due to his high grade coverage and pass rush performances.

Between Hunt and Williams, I prefer to resign Williams, but Hunt would probably be much cheaper.  Depending on the likely restructures of Chubb and T. Hill we hopefully can bring back both.

Yeah we talked about Wilkins vs Van Ginkel before, and I respect your opinion. Still think letting Wilkins walk would be a big mistake.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Yeah we talked about Wilkins vs Van Ginkel before, and I respect your opinion. Still think letting Wilkins walk would be a big mistake.

I think chances are most likely neither player returns to Miami.  I think Wilkins will be a very good player wherever he goes, but he's not going to be a double digit sack guy and he does have a nasty habit of personal fouls on QBs, which is a huge red flag IMO.  I can't stand it when incomplete passes on third down turn into plus 15 yard gains and first downs, it's a defense killer.  Wilkins has elite awareness, motor, and pocket push ability.  I see him as a $14-$18 mil a year guy, but he wants and will probably get $20 mil plus a year. 

Overall, my stance will always be players worth $20 mil a year and up play only 5 positions: QB, WR, OT, CB, and Edge Rusher.... the exception is the perennial All Pro player that isn't of the 5 critical positions.

Edit; I respect your opinion too, I don't think you are wrong by any means and if we do manage to bring back Wilkins, I would be happy about it.

Edited by Swampbilly

On Wilkins extension, i keep going back and forth. Yesterday i told myself i wouldn’t want to pay a DT top of the market money, especially given we have Sieler that is very productive signed for $10M a year (admittedly an incredibly team friendly deal if he keeps up that production)

But now i’ve flipped back and don’t think we can afford to lose him. His impact on games and the team is undeniable and if we cut Howard post June 1, the cap savings will almost cover Wilkins new cap hit. I think finding a #2 CB is easier than replacing Wilkins. 

I just don’t see a world in which we would have an improved defense if we let Wilkins walk. A rookie DL, although much cheaper, is not going to come in and have the same impact. I can see the argument for either side really

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Emerica said:

On Wilkins extension, i keep going back and forth. Yesterday i told myself i wouldn’t want to pay a DT top of the market money, especially given we have Sieler that is very productive signed for $10M a year (admittedly an incredibly team friendly deal if he keeps up that production)

But now i’ve flipped back and don’t think we can afford to lose him. His impact on games and the team is undeniable and if we cut Howard post June 1, the cap savings will almost cover Wilkins new cap hit. I think finding a #2 CB is easier than replacing Wilkins. 

I just don’t see a world in which we would have an improved defense if we let Wilkins walk. A rookie DL, although much cheaper, is not going to come in and have the same impact. I can see the argument for either side really

Finding a solution to the Howard problem would be a big boon IMO.  I don't have an answer, but his play fell off last season and he was awful this season.  I'm guessing it's his knees more so than change of scheme.  Incredibly, Eli Apple graded out higher than Howard this season and that is something I didn't think would ever be said LOL.  Hopefully the solution is already in house in the form of Cam Smith but considering he only had 18 snaps on Defense this season it seems like it's going to be an uphill battle for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Vic Fangio gone, seems like a lot of players are happy about it. Might very well have been a mutual thing and not just Fangio wanting to go to Philly

Edited by Emerica

17 hours ago, Emerica said:

Vic Fangio gone, seems like a lot of players are happy about it. Might very well have been a mutual thing and not just Fangio wanting to go to Philly

A little of column A, a little of column B. I think both parties had to agree to terminate the contract without penalty to either side.

• Like 1

Really seems to be a case of Fangio wanting to leave to be closer to family and the Dolphins being sympathetic to that as long as it didn't cost us.  

Basically, Fangio wanted to leave but we had to permit him to leave to take another NFL job since he was still under contract.  My take is this isn't the Dolphins wanting Fangio to leave but permitting him to leave because that is what he wants to do.

I'm initially very uninterested in Brandon Staley as DC and rumors are he is being considered.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Really seems to be a case of Fangio wanting to leave to be closer to family and the Dolphins being sympathetic to that as long as it didn't cost us.  

Basically, Fangio wanted to leave but we had to permit him to leave to take another NFL job since he was still under contract.  My take is this isn't the Dolphins wanting Fangio to leave but permitting him to leave because that is what he wants to do.

I'm initially very uninterested in Brandon Staley as DC and rumors are he is being considered.

I'm not high on Staley but I'm not really high on the other common rumor of promoting Campanile, either. Nothing about our defense last season really has my yearning for more of the same, least of all our ILB play.... if anything, I'd rather promote Renaldo Hill, who is a more impressive positional coach to me and already has DC experience at the NFL level (although I'd still probably prefer another outside hire).

Hope another, more desirable, option emerges...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm not high on Staley but I'm not really high on the other common rumor of promoting Campanile, either. Nothing about our defense last season really has my yearning for more of the same, least of all our ILB play.... if anything, I'd rather promote Renaldo Hill, who is a more impressive positional coach to me and already has DC experience at the NFL level (although I'd still probably prefer another outside hire).

Hope another, more desirable, option emerges...

I completely agree.