Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

57 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I know this is just one play I could find but this is what I think of when I think James Williams. @armsteeld

https://x.com/MoneyTeam863/status/1721326931017097629?s=20

That is a 5-10 195lb ACC RB that embarrasses him

That's just a bad example of trying to shoulder tackle a smaller defender. He lost the leverage battle and didn't bring his arms. We saw similar in the playoffs with Minkah missing the "toss down" tackle attempt that became a TD.

Here's what I'm used to seeing from James Williams. A Safety coming downhill is more impactful than ILBs getting unblocked hits.

OT Dominick Puni 6'4 320 is a big dancing bear. Has great feet quickness to go along with strong hands. Mirrors pass rushers well but will sometimes cross his feet trying to mirror quicker pass rushers. That leaves him vulnerable to power but no one has countered that flaw. Is agile to get to the 2nd and 3rd level of screens and tosses but will occasionally get juked by defenders. Is not the mauling type but he gets movement in the running game. Solid late round prospect that I like. *In the video below, he the LT #67*

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

That's just a bad example of trying to shoulder tackle a smaller defender. He lost the leverage battle and didn't bring his arms. We saw similar in the playoffs with Minkah missing the "toss down" tackle attempt that became a TD.

Here's what I'm used to seeing from James Williams. A Safety coming downhill is more impactful than ILBs getting unblocked hits.

Let’s break this video down play by play

• running his mouth after the play, sticks his fingers in a face mask and is probably a personal foul in the NFL
  • Gets ran over and dragged for 3 yards
  • Nice hit, but the result of the play is a 15 yard run for a first down for the offense and again is probably an additional 15 yards at the next level. I do not want a safety who does dumb stuff like this after his defense gave up a chunk play and a first down….
  • Why is the next play at :25 on a highlight film?
  • Next play, RB goes right through Williams’ pathetic arm tackle and is brought down by his teammate. He whifs.
  • Next play: finally a play that impressed me. Good trigger, closing speed, and hit
  • Next play, hits the WR after the play on a horribly thrown ball/drop 
  • Next play: penalty. Blatant helmet to helmet/targeting (should have been called)

So one play out of an entire game that that impressed me and a handful that do not belong on a “highlight” video. If anything this video proves my point! He is all bark and no bite. Sorry I am not usually this adamant about a negative take on a player but Williams is not my cup of tea. Some team will fall in love with the size and big hits but I hope it is not the Steelers. 

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Let’s break this video down play by play

• running his mouth after the play, sticks his fingers in a face mask and is probably a personal foul in the NFL
  • Gets ran over and dragged for 3 yards
  • Nice hit, but the result of the play is a 15 yard run for a first down for the offense and again is probably an additional 15 yards at the next level. I do not want a safety who does dumb stuff like this after his defense gave up a chunk play and a first down….
  • Why is the next play at :25 on a highlight film?
  • Next play, RB goes right through Williams’ pathetic arm tackle and is brought down by his teammate. He whifs.
  • Next play: finally a play that impressed me. Good trigger, closing speed, and hit
  • Next play, hits the WR after the play on a horribly thrown ball/drop 
  • Next play: penalty. Blatant helmet to helmet/targeting (should have been called)

So one play out of an entire game that that impressed me and a handful that do not belong on a “highlight” video. If anything this video proves my point! He is all bark and no bite. Sorry I am not usually this adamant about a negative take on a player but Williams is not my cup of tea. Some team will fall in love with the size and big hits but I hope it is not the Steelers. 

Soft? 

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

OT Dominick Puni 6'4 320 is a big dancing bear. Has great feet quickness to go along with strong hands. Mirrors pass rushers well but will sometimes cross his feet trying to mirror quicker pass rushers. That leaves him vulnerable to power but no one has countered that flaw. Is agile to get to the 2nd and 3rd level of screens and tosses but will occasionally get juked by defenders. Is not the mauling type but he gets movement in the running game. Solid late round prospect that I like. *In the video below, he the LT #67*

His footwork is not good.  Short drops, tight hips, reaches a lot.  At best he’s a “hold” blocker where he doesn’t los ground but doesn’t get ground.  That video doesn’t show him battling a lot of counters.  I can see ghost rushes and jab wipes getting to him a ton.  Career swing tackle with RT upside.  Don’t see him as interior flexible because of the lack of aggression, which his size is nice for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

His footwork is not good.  Short drops, tight hips, reaches a lot.  At best he’s a “hold” blocker where he doesn’t los ground but doesn’t get ground.  That video doesn’t show him battling a lot of counters.  I can see ghost rushes and jab wipes getting to him a ton.  Career swing tackle with RT upside.  Don’t see him as interior flexible because of the lack of aggression, which his size is nice for.

He's actually projected as a Guard. He practiced it while at the Senior Bowl. Yeah I agree about his footwork. He hasn't given up a sack in the last two seasons but we know how that works. In the UCLA game, the quickness of their DEs had him crossing his feet looking bad. With his age and he's a developmental project, I see him as a day 3 prospect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

He's actually projected as a Guard. He practiced it while at the Senior Bowl. Yeah I agree about his footwork. He hasn't given up a sack in the last two seasons but we know how that works. In the UCLA game, the quickness of their DEs had him crossing his feet looking bad. With his age and he's a developmental project, I see him as a day 3 prospect.

He just doesn’t have the aggression I like for it but there’s traits to like.  I’m at the same spot as you as 6-7 developmental.  He’s what I call “preferred UDFA” in that you rather draft him to ensure he’s with you than let him go and try to fight with other teams.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

I compare him with Villanueva in style.  Could be decent in time but always vulnerable to counters and no push

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Woah -

Alan Saunders said on Locked on he wouldn’t take Nix in the Second or Penix in the Third. He added if McCarthy is there at 20 he would auction off the pick for someone that wants him. 

I agree with him.

McCarthy at 20 would be hard to pass up but if we could trade down and pick up an extra 1st next year or another form of a big trade package I would probably do it (especially if the 2025 1st was coming from a team who planned to start McCarthy week 1). 

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I agree with him.

McCarthy at 20 would be hard to pass up but if we could trade down and pick up an extra 1st next year or another form of a big trade package I would probably do it (especially if the 2025 1st was coming from a team who planned to start McCarthy week 1). 

Serious question: What's the difference between Kenny Pickett as a prospect and JJ McCarthy?

JJ McCarthy hasn't shown that he can consistently get the ball downfield which KP did with a regular basis while at Pitt. McCarthy hasn't shown ANYTHING to be considered a first round QB. Yes I hear draft nuts (literally) saying McCarthy has so much potential and blah blah. What is that based on? Whispers from anonymous sources who say the NFL is high on him. I'm no QB whisperer but McCarthy had onbe of the best rushing attacks yet his passing numbers still weren't impressive. The WRs he had are thriving in the NFL but McCarthy didn't help them shine at Michigan. Oh well...as long as the Steelers aren't drinking that Kool-Aid then I'm ok with another team over drafting him.

• Like 1