Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

Ok ok. Y'all know what time it is!! Time for us to get more in depth with players in the draft who can possibly help the Steelers. I want everyone to add their input. Some will disagree with me and what I see which is why I welcome all inputs/suggestions. Some guys lack film but we may have heard good things about but I still want to hear about them. I'll start off with Locked on Draft by Damian Parson and Keith Sanchez as they chat with Senior Bowl Director Jim Nagy. Nagy said some great things about some guys that we've already brought up. This the best and probably deepest WR core that I've ever seen. So much talent from 6'7 to 5'7 guys who can do a lil bit of everything.  So, shall we dance?

QB Joe Milton 6'5 245: howitzer arm. Plays within the system. Elusive deep speed. Tight delivery with a quick release. Will run through a defender. Has one of the best deep balls in the more recent classes. Fits the ball into tight coverage. Can beat zones/double teams due to ball velocity. Good accuracy but his completion % is average. 

CB Shon Stephens 5'11 180: CB with excellent ball skills as he has 16 interceptions in the past two seasons 8 in 2022 and 8 in 2023. Cousin of Joey Porter Jr. Tried to play at Penn St but his mother had a medical emergency {heart attack} so he helped take care of her. Tried going to DII but was denied by the NCAA. Wish I had film but this is going strictly off production and blood line. Here's a short highlight film....

WR Jacob Cowing 5'11 180: the Locked on NFL Draft  described Cowing as I did in my evaluation. Dude is a jitterbug with great speed. In the video above he was compared to Desean Jackson. Dude is special.

CB Dwight McGlothern 6'2 190: Ball hawk. Aggressive to the ball. Competitive. LSU transfer. Plays a lot of off coverage. Has decent speed as I'm thinking he's a 4.5 guy. I see Marcus Peters in his playstyle. Finished his college career with 8 interceptions to go along with 23 passes broken up.

WR Jalen McMIllan 6'1 185: Smooth athlete. Good hands. Has quick patient feet. Has good spatial awareness. Not a blazer but fast enough to beat you deep. I'm thinking 4.5 guy who reminds me of Tyler Boyd. He has inside/outside versatility which is a plus. Was slowed by injuries in 2023 but McMillan is a baller. 

TE Trey Knox 6'5 240: Fast, Agile, Converted WR to TE. Impressive blocker but was used more as a receiver with Arkansas than South Carolina. Could serve as 3rd TE challenging Rodney Williams. Connor Heyward is a weapon who can be moved around. Knox is a tough player who can help a team.

OG Cooper Beebe 6'3 330: Mauler. Grizzly bear type who gets his hands on you and will make you taste that grass. Not the most agile but the style in which pulls eliminates that issue. Gets to the 2nd level and finishes well. Heavy handed and looks for work in the passing game. If you want to improve your running game, draft this guy.

WR Adonai Mitchell 6'4 190: Explosive out of his breaks getting easy separation. Fast. Sells double moves well as he can sink his hips to stop and redirect which is hard for taller guys. Hands catcher. Willing blocker. Has excellent catch radius vs press coverage. Can go over the top for 50/50 balls, Reminds me of AJ Green in his movement skills. 

NT T'Vondre Sweat 6'4 360: Powerful. Violent strong hands. Has a nasty swim move. Can toss aside blockers and has the nastiness to play NT. I would love seeing Sweat with Heyward and Benton on either side of him. Has to work on weight and conditioning to become more valuable against the pass but has shown glimpses of being able to get to the QB. In basketball terms, Sweat is a Point Guard. What do I mean by that? He isn't the one who typically gets the score but he sets everyone else up to be successful. Sweat will make it harder for defenses to double Watt and Heyward just because of his physicality. Once he get better as a technician with hand usage, you can have a special player.

DT Byron Murphy II 6'1 310: Energetic. Strong. Stout vs the run. Has quick violent hands. He's a penetrator. Quick feet and uses rush angles to overwhelm OL. Can line up all over the DL. Good flexibility. Uses good techniques against double teams. Lower and upper body is well synced during his rushes. Uses stutters, bullrushes, and push pull to get to the ball carriers. Really good player who will be better as a pro.

DE Jer'Zhan Newton 6'2 290: Explosive. Violent hands. Insane quickness. Good motor. I'm playing him at 5Tech. Really good pass rusher. Plays with a good base. Can provide instant pass rush at times not allowing the QB to complete their drop. Would have no issue if he was the pick at 20.

WR Brian Thomas Jr 6'5 200: Excellent long speed. The ability to sink in his routes and get out of them is insane. Honestly, there is nothing this kid can't do on the field. This guy is a combination of Martavis Bryant and Tee Higgins. Will be a monster at the NFL level. Would be a dream pick in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What’s everyone’s takes on Duke OL, Graham Barton? I’ve been seeing him talked up as a potential 3 spot starter on a line. Played C his freshmen year. 

I’ve seen him listed as the top center prospect…speculative…I’ve also seen it mentioned that Van Pran’s ceiling might be as an average pro starter, granted from day 1. Who knows…I like the size of both…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rlon said:

I’ve seen him listed as the top center prospect…speculative…I’ve also seen it mentioned that Van Pran’s ceiling might be as an average pro starter, granted from day 1. Who knows…I like the size of both…

Barton is an interesting one. Has OT size, but have also seen him projected as both OG and OC.
I haven't seen him play enough to have a strong opinion, but he 'reads' well, from my research.
I read (somewhere) they thought he had Pro Bowl potential at OC.

• Like 2

@MOSteelers56 Barton is that PT that is really good in college but they project him to move inside. I've watched him and feel like he will be good wherever he plays. 

@rlon Van Pran is similar to Tyler Vinderbaum and Creed Humphrey. They're not gonna dominate you they stay on you. SVP also has a bad habit of falling off blocks or missing his guy completely. Those things are coachable in my opinion. He's big nasty and strong and loves the game of football. In myt brealdowns, I try not to lisyt their flaws as all these prospects are unfinished balls of clay to be sculpted by the Steelers.

OC Sedrick Van Pran 6'4 310: Big and long for the position. Excellent mover who can get to the 2nd level with ease. Loves to drive guys into the dirt. Strong hands to jolt defenders and get under their pads. Moves well in space and is a DB's worst nightmare as he takes good angles against them. Bouncer on the OL Plays with a wide base and moves has quiet feet in pass protection. The dude is smooth and many had him projected as the number 1 Center in last year's class. Would be an immediate upgrade for the Steelers.

CB/FS Jaylin Simpson 6'1 180: Speed. Aggressive. Can play CB, Slot, or FS. Has a smaller frame like Levi Wallace but plays more physical than what you'd imagine. Fearless competitor who will lay you out or steal the football from you. Man and Zone capable. Has the right temperament to play defense for the Steelers.

23 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

CB/FS Jaylin Simpson 6'1 180: Speed. Aggressive. Can play CB, Slot, or FS. Has a smaller frame like Levi Wallace but plays more physical than what you'd imagine. Fearless competitor who will lay you out or steal the football from you. Man and Zone capable. Has the right temperament to play defense for the Steelers.

Would look really good in slot…hard to believe he is only 180 lbs. with  that temperament and physicality. Chess piece…

• Like 1

WR Malik Washington 5'9 192: Short in stature but plays bigger than his size. Fearless catching the ball over the middle of the field, Has good speed but not the blazer many his size are. Strong hands ****** the ball out of the air. Good runner after the catch, Can run through defenders. Is smart and understands leverage and what defenses are doing to him. Ideal Slot WR.

WR Brenden Rice 6'3 205: Smooth in and out of his breaks. Can play Slot or Outside. Good run blocker. Strong hands. Average speed on tape but supposedly runs 4.3 which I don't believe. Highly competitive. Can go vertical and get the ball. Legacy player as he's the son of the GOAT Jerry Rice. Coach Tomlin loves these types of players. Can make the contested catch with his big frame. My NFL comparison is  Braylon Edwards.

WR Ainias Smith 5'10 190: Tough. Explosive. Strong after the catch as he can run through you or juke your shoes off. Has ST value. Twitchy with good lower body balance as he is a good double move runner. Good hands. Competitive blocker. Immediate impact as a returner. Can play Boundary or Slot but I like him more as a Slot. Reminds me of Randall Cobb.

WR Keon Coleman 6'4 210: Easy comparison. Not going to write him up as his comp say it all. Watching Keon Coleman I see George Pickens. I know many don't see WR as a major need (myself included) but this guy is special.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mwalker said:

Barton is an interesting one. Has OT size, but have also seen him projected as both OG and OC.
I haven't seen him play enough to have a strong opinion, but he 'reads' well, from my research.
I read (somewhere) they thought he had Pro Bowl potential at OC.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at with him too. The sites say he's got stumpy arms so he'd be a better IOL. They like his athleticism, physicality, toughness, and leadership. His build reminds me of David Decastro. He probably isn't a day 1 starter at C in the league because of the position change. Granted, that didn't stop us with Kendrick Green.

OG/OT Ladarius Henderson 6'4 315: Finisher of blocks. Mobile puller. Has strong active hands. Gets to the 2nd level easily. Can hit guys in space. Can anchor well vs bull rush with quick feet to mirror lateral defenders. Became a fan of Henderson watching Jayden Daniels a couple seasons ago. He was hurt during the '22 season so decided to stay an extra year. Transferred to Michigan and played out position at OT. I think he is a better G than T. Your typical swing OL ala Spencer Anderson from Steelers '23 draft.

*Henderson is #77 in the video below. He's playing LG*