Free Agency 2024

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Didn’t work out for the 49ers in the Super Bowl 

Yup, they should scrap it and try something else.

4 hours ago, Blaze said:
7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yup, they should scrap it and try something else.

You beat me to it. 

This is the same defense that held Pat Mahomes (a future first ballot HoF QB, a guy who is likely to be in the GOAT conversation) Andy Reid (perhaps the GOAT offensive mind in football) KC to 3 points in the first half of that SB.

It "didn't work out" because Brock Purdy wasn't able to hit the broadside of a barn and because Christian McCaffery was getting stonewalled by Chris Jones and that KC defense.

Let's be accurate with history if we're going to reference it.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is the same defense that held Pat Mahomes (a future first ballot HoF QB, a guy who is likely to be in the GOAT conversation) Andy Reid (perhaps the GOAT offensive mind in football) KC to 3 points in the first half of that SB.

It "didn't work out" because Brock Purdy wasn't able to hit the broadside of a barn and because Christian McCaffery was getting stonewalled by Chris Jones and that KC defense.

I think losing Greenlaw was a HUGE impact.  IIRC he was guarding Kelce - who was doing squat.  Plus mentally, it zaps your team.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

All of this is great, I just want my team to have the chance to get IN a Superbowl. 😂

• Like 4

You guys go right ahead thinking it’s a good idea to have a pass rush and no secondary against Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow and the other multitude of HOF QBs currently playing in the AFC. 

but let’s not forget we also lost a big portion of our run defense as well. Hunter is a downgrade in defending the run and we don’t have a true starting level DT. 

the whole plan on defense this off season is “we can coach up guys that other people couldn’t coach up”

maybe we can, and if we can then great, but man that’s a dangerous way to build out a roster. 

36 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

You guys go right ahead thinking it’s a good idea to have a pass rush and no secondary against Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow and the other multitude of HOF QBs currently playing in the AFC. 

but let’s not forget we also lost a big portion of our run defense as well. Hunter is a downgrade in defending the run and we don’t have a true starting level DT. 

the whole plan on defense this off season is “we can coach up guys that other people couldn’t coach up”

maybe we can, and if we can then great, but man that’s a dangerous way to build out a roster. 

Love you, PD!  Don't think anybody is saying that we should not have a secondary or emphasize it...

I think the goal is to put pressure on opposing teams in the pass game so they make errors.

By playing man in the secondary, there should be tighter windows - meaning QBs have less opportunity to throw it to a spot and somebody is open (which happens more in zone).  Plus, by having sticky corners, there is an opportunity for more TO's.

The corners that have been brought in should do just that b/c they have the physical ability to stay with today's WRs.  They are going to be tasked with just stick with your man and don't let them get open.

I think a centerfielder like Justin Simmons would bring it all together.

You have a good point about being open to opposing team's run game - but a behemoth like Sweat could shut a lot of that down.  Or a DT that can fire off the ball into the backfield is another option.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Love you, PD!  Don't think anybody is saying that we should not have a secondary or emphasize it...

I think the goal is to put pressure on opposing teams in the pass game so they make errors.

By playing man in the secondary, there should be tighter windows - meaning QBs have less opportunity to throw it to a spot and somebody is open (which happens more in zone).  Plus, by having sticky corners, there is an opportunity for more TO's.

The corners that have been brought in should do just that b/c they have the physical ability to stay with today's WRs.  They are going to be tasked with just stick with your man and don't let them get open.

I think a centerfielder like Justin Simmons would bring it all together.

You have a good point about being open to opposing team's run game - but a behemoth like Sweat could shut a lot of that down.  Or a DT that can fire off the ball into the backfield is another option.

I’m sure we have a plan, I’m just not sure I agree with it 😂😂😂 but that’s why they are NFL coaches and I’m not lol 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m sure we have a plan, I’m just not sure I agree with it 😂😂😂 but that’s why they are NFL coaches and I’m not lol 

I'm just having fun with you. I respect your opinion. Heck, I agree with it. At CB this year it pretty much is boom or bust with no in between.

Grab Simmons and I think we all will feel a little better about the secondary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blaze said:

Grab Simmons and I think we all will feel a little better about the secondary.

Or...

He's basically telling the world he'd take a pretty significant pay cut to be here. The guy has a Texans tattoo; If he's got any juice left, he's going to use it all here. Playing at NRG is his storybook ending.

This sort of comment right here? I throw my versions of logic and my "dependable" stats away. A guy like this is going to leave everything on the field for a title for THIS city - and a guy like this can compete against any player on football.

Go get him. Go sign Xavien Howard.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Or...

He's basically telling the world he'd take a pretty significant pay cut to be here. The guy has a Texans tattoo; If he's got any juice left, he's going to use it all here. Playing at NRG is his storybook ending.

This sort of comment right here? I throw my versions of logic and my "dependable" stats away. A guy like this is going to leave everything on the field for a title for THIS city - and a guy like this can compete against any player on football.

Here is the problem. Your top 4 CBs, none of them play special teams. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Or...

Before Okudah & Henderson, I was totally in.  But two things now..

(1) really appeared washed last season 

(2) Okudah & Henderson are younger & may just need our new man-heavy scheme

That being said, I love the narrative of Howard returning to Htown to help lead the Texans to their first Superb Owl win

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Here is the problem. Your top 4 CBs, none of them play special teams. 

Well. John Metchie, Dameon Pierce? Time to play gunner! 😅

• Like 1