Free Agency 2024

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Looking ahead, next off season we will have to completely rebuild our secondary. Ward, king, Henderson and Okudah will all be free agents. Drafting a couple guys would be smart. 

I think we sign a safety to a 2 year deal (Simmons, Diggs) and draft a CB.

This year's safety class does not inspire.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 9:02 AM, Marco79 said:

But they could have had both considering the remaining amount on Diggs’ contract is pretty reasonable and the fact there were no guarantees left you could had leverage in renegotiations down the line.

Also, I really don’t buy “this is going to motivate him even more!” — he was going to be motivated regardless because he had no guarantees left! If he came out and had a bad year and was constantly in a bad mood on the sidelines, the Texans would cut him and he’d have a hard time getting a good contract next offseason.

Again, overall, like the trade, love the offseason, just think what they did here was unnecessary at this current moment barring more additions. If they sign Simmons, Diggs, etc with the extra cap space I’ll get it. 

You'll get it.

10 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Looking ahead, next off season we will have to completely rebuild our secondary. Ward, king, Henderson and Okudah will all be free agents. Drafting a couple guys would be smart. 

Maybe not, if they sign say Simmons to a multi year deal and draft say Melton in the 2nd rd and a S like Mustafa in the 4th or 5th. They still have Stingley and Petrie.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 9:30 PM, Kirby Drive said:

Maybe not, if they sign say Simmons to a multi year deal and draft say Melton in the 2nd rd and a S like Mustafa in the 4th or 5th. They still have Stingley and Petrie.

People keep talking about Simmons but we’ve showed zero interest in signing him. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

People keep talking about Simmons but we’ve showed zero interest in signing him. 

That market has been oddly quiet, you'd think the market for an All Pro S would be higher. I don't think he's really scrambling for a deal, he's waiting for the right team and right contract to come along - he's probably got deals on the table that he's keeping quiet.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That market has been oddly quiet, you'd think the market for an All Pro S would be higher. I don't think he's really scrambling for a deal, he's waiting for the right team and right contract to come along - he's probably got deals on the table that he's keeping quiet.

Word is he really wanted to sign with Eagles (Fangio), but they went a different direction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jch1911 said:

CTESPN (Antonio Brown) said yesterday that Justin Simmons headed to Pittsburgh :(

I don't have high hopes for Texans signing a safety. It becomes where do you play the 3. Ward is going to start. Someone Demeco trust in the back end of the middle of the field. Health issues but he is your starter. Simmons would easily start but where does Pitre go? I don't see many teams running 3 safeties and none play special teams.

I think Pitre's ceiling is that of a hybrid. Some safety, some NB, some LB. For him to do that, someone has to come of the field and I dont know who that is.

Simmons wouldn't be signed to provide depth. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blaze said:

I don't have high hopes for Texans signing a safety. It becomes where do you play the 3. Ward is going to start. Someone Demeco trust in the back end of the middle of the field. Health issues but he is your starter. Simmons would easily start but where does Pitre go? I don't see many teams running 3 safeties and none play special teams.

I think Pitre's ceiling is that of a hybrid. Some safety, some NB, some LB. For him to do that, someone has to come of the field and I dont know who that is.

Simmons wouldn't be signed to provide depth. 

I think the starters would be Simmons (fingers crossed) & Ward with Pitre alternating at NB with King depending on the situation.

3rd & short = Pitre (stop the run)

3rd & little bit longer = King (coverage)

That NB is important in our defense b/c we play A LOT of 4 - 2 - 5.