The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Saw a couple “good” retreads mentioned already, in Belichick and Shanahan, who found some redemption after an early failure. Here are a few more I was able to think of or dig up.

Pete Carroll got canned by the Jets after one 6-10 season (1994) and then also got canned by the Pats after a more successful three-season tenure there (1997-1999). Notably sandwiched in between Parcells and Belichick in NE. Won the SB in Seattle.

Gary Kubiak got fired in the middle of a 2-11 season with the Texans. He had a 61-64 record with HOU. Came back to win the SB a few years later with the Peyton Manning Broncos team.

Dan Campbell coached most of the 2015 season as an interim HC with Miami but was let go after a 5-7 run. He got his next shot 6 years later in DET.

John Fox had a tenure with the Panthers that is somewhat reminiscent of Quinn’s in ATL (and Rivera’s in CAR, for that matter). A couple really good seasons, a run to the Super Bowl, fell apart badly at the end. Was 73-71 overall there. He came back to have an awesome run with DEN (46-18, trip to the SB), before getting canned for Kubiak, ironically enough.

Dave Wannstedt was very uninspiring in CHI for 6 seasons (40-56) before getting fired. He came back a couple seasons later and had a really excellent run — that I genuinely don’t even remember — with the Dolphins, where he went 41-23 over his first 4 seasons. Especially impressive because Marino had just retired.

Tony Dungy wasn’t really bad in Tampa Bay (54-42), but he absolutely had the label of “can’t get over the top” — especially when Jon Gruden won the SB the next year with his team. He did get over the top in Indy (85-27, with a ring to show for it).

Tom Coughlin also wasn’t a failure in Jacksonville, as going 68-60 with a team that started from an expansion draft was a pretty decent accomplishment. But he did get fired after 3 consecutive losing seasons, only to return in the Big Apple and win 2 SBs with NYG.

Norv Turner — I know, I know — failed gently with us (49-59-1) and more brutally with the Raiders (9-23). The Chargers still chose him to replace Marty Schottenheimer (another retread coach!) and he went 56-40 with them, taking them to the doorstep of the SB in his first season. I don’t know if that’s a rousing success given the talent they had, but…there it is.

Going back a bit further, Dan Reeves was great with the Elway Broncos, though Original Shanahan was the one who finally got them over the top. But he then went to NYG and kinda stunk (31-33), before going to Atlanta and taking that Dirty Birds team to the SB.

Marv Levy, best known for coaching the William and Mary Tribe from 1964-1968 (and thus part of the vaunted coaching tradition that includes Mike Tomlin, Sean McDermott, and Joe Brady), was really bad with the Chiefs in his first NFL stint (31-42). He came back to take the Bills to 4 Super Bowls and a 112-70 overall record.

There’s a running theme with a lot of these teams lol

Peyton Manning

Russell Wilson

Tom Brady 

Jim Kelly

John Elway

Philip Rivers

Eli Manning

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not sure he is outside our price range. We have to imagine we can make one big signing and several smaller ones and even be able to resign anyone they want to. 

Reports the Bears wanted to extend him and offered a 5yr/93m contract. 

Since Johnson’s interview with the Parkins & Spiegel Show on Dec. 11th, it’s already been reported that the Bears have offered him a 5-year, $93M contract extension (MJ Hurley on X). 

With an average annual value of about $18.6 million, the proposed contract would be the league’s fifth most valuablecornerback contract in history.

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Reports the Bears wanted to extend him and offered a 5yr/93m contract. 

Since Johnson’s interview with the Parkins & Spiegel Show on Dec. 11th, it’s already been reported that the Bears have offered him a 5-year, $93M contract extension (MJ Hurley on X). 

With an average annual value of about $18.6 million, the proposed contract would be the league’s fifth most valuablecornerback contract in history.

I don't think that is too much for a star player of his caliber.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jaylon-johnson/56259

The only question I have is, if we sign him to a big contract like that, does that prevent us from signing someone at a higher priority (DE/O-Line)? If the answer is yes, I would pass on the CB for a position of greater need.

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't think that is too much for a star player of his caliber.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jaylon-johnson/56259

The only question I have is, if we sign him to a big contract like that, does that prevent us from signing someone at a higher priority (DE/O-Line)? If the answer is yes, I would pass on the CB for a position of greater need.

FA is before the draft, makes it tough where you rather draft first and fill in with free agents. 

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

https://x.com/Scott7news/status/1753201424660328638?s=20

I will say this, for as much as I didn’t want this hire seeing a coach that actually wanted this job from the get-go makes me happy in a way. It’s going to take me a while to warm up to this one and I’m not sure I ever will but he wanted to be here. I’ll take that. 

He wanted any job dude. Any job anyone would give him. 

15 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

FA is before the draft, makes it tough where you rather draft first and fill in with free agents. 

Hopefully our highly touted GM can isolate something they wanted to address before the draft. Drafting players is all well and good, but sometimes you want the proven thing. I would absolutely throw the farm at Brian Burns for example. I doubt he makes it to FA, but I would easily top the deal that Sweat got for him.