Best Super Bowl matchup we never got

My pick is Broncos/Vikings in '98

I think most people realized the Broncos were repeating as champs when the Falcons upset the Vikings in the NFC Championship. 

Vikings/Broncos almost certainly would have made for a better game. With the two highest scoring offenses, we might have gotten a shootout for the ages. Instead we got a very forgettable game.

Edited by Football_Bachelor08
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You didn't list my favorite 2000 Rams/Ravens. Curse you. 

2000 Rams defense was pretty mediocre all in all. They had most of the talent from the previous team, but (IMO) a combination of losing Vermeil costing the team cohesion, fatigue from the crazy offensive pace, and going from an all time terrible team for so long to winning the SB in 1 year producing the mother of all SB hangovers.

But the 2000 Rams offense versus that Ravens defense? Yeah that'd be a treat.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The answer is the 1998 Broncos-Vikings but I also would loved to see how the 1985 bears would have done in a 2nd matchup vs Marino

Yep, Bears Dolphins would be mine. Not only are the Bears maybe the best team ever, but they'd be trying to avenge their only loss against the backdrop of the 72 Dophins. That'd have been so good.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

2000 Rams defense was pretty mediocre all in all. They had most of the talent from the previous team, but (IMO) a combination of losing Vermeil costing the team cohesion, fatigue from the crazy offensive pace, and going from an all time terrible team for so long to winning the SB in 1 year producing the mother of all SB hangovers.

Mediocre? Lol they had the worst defense 

6 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

Mediocre? Lol they had the worst defense 

If you go by points allowed, sure. But they also had most of the players and staff from one of the top 3 defenses in the league statistically the previous year, and the year after were pretty much back to where they were, when the only player they added was Aeneas Williams (big add, but it's 1 guy).

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oh that D was hideous. Medicore would be a kind description. 

I'd still want to see that Rams offense against the Ravens D also. Especially since the Ravens didn't really face any top passing attack the entire year from what I recall. Really, no knockout offenses other than maybe Oakland, who weren't on the level of the Rams. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 8:37 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh that D was hideous. Medicore would be a kind description. 

I'd still want to see that Rams offense against the Ravens D also. Especially since the Ravens didn't really face any top passing attack the entire year from what I recall. Really, no knockout offenses other than maybe Oakland, who weren't on the level of the Rams. 

It was exhausting to be a fan of that defense. Every game felt like an out of control college bowl game shootout.

It'd be a nice SB though. Pay attention during Rams O/Ravens D, catch up with your friends during Ravens O/Rams D.

• Like 1