Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can’t believe nobody has any thoughts on Trevor Lawrence being the highest paid player in the NFL.

Seeing as how he’s not a top 10 QB by any statistical measure and has a 20-30 record (not a QB stat but one used to measure QBs anyway), and that he was notably worse in 2023 than in 2022 (not bad, but a slight step back with more around him, and certainly not better) I think it’s a horrendous overpayment. He has the potential to live up to that contract, but at some point you stop talking about a guy’s potential and start talking about what he is. Lawrence is 50 starts in at this point. If this is what he is, it’s a middle tier QB. 

It seems like we all just shrug every time the QB market resets itself, which is every year now. At some point that will have to come back to earth but no idea how or when. Maybe some offensive mind finds a way to regress scheme to be super run heavy and QB agnostic somehow.  

The contract that is really interesting to me is the Jordan Love one. He took that bizarro deal instead of the team picking up his option and now it's pay up time for GB.  Obviously hoping not, but I bet a lot of teams are watching and wondering whether he'll play like the latter half of last year or regress or (gulp) improve.  All that said whether he's good or not shouldn't be the QB the Bears are worried about, if Caleb's not it, Jordan Love still is irrelevant to what happens here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can’t believe nobody has any thoughts on Trevor Lawrence being the highest paid player in the NFL.

Seeing as how he’s not a top 10 QB by any statistical measure and has a 20-30 record (not a QB stat but one used to measure QBs anyway), and that he was notably worse in 2023 than in 2022 (not bad, but a slight step back with more around him, and certainly not better) I think it’s a horrendous overpayment. He has the potential to live up to that contract, but at some point you stop talking about a guy’s potential and start talking about what he is. Lawrence is 50 starts in at this point. If this is what he is, it’s a middle tier QB. 

Here was my initial thoughts. I get the cap went up and he is the 10th highest in cap allotment at the time of signing their contracts, but Lawrence has been pretty meh. I wouldn't exactly be thrilled to re-sign Williams at that level if his stats were equivalent. 

17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Oof. I don't think he will be worth the pay but I love how aggressive they were in locking him down. Either they made the smart move or this turns out to be a disastrous one IMO, so I'm going to enjoy the show.

Really though, if he played well this year how much more would the cost have gone up? It would still be a market-altering deal, and it isn't like he'd suddenly jump to $70 million filly guaranteed per year with a great year. Just seems a little over-aggressive to me without a ton of upside.

17 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Poles narrative about hating old players would be totally squashed by signing 40 y/o Marcedes Lewis and 38 y/o Calais Campbell

Bringing back Lewis to fill a specific need for a blocking TE makes sense to me because we've seen how much of an impact he has on the team.  We also have no one else quite like him on the roster.

Signing Campbell would take snaps away from two players who need those snaps to prove they can handle the 3 tech DT position at this level.  We're still developing our draft picks and they need to play.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Showing this makes Atl look bad. Also shows how bad Poles wanted Odunze.

Taking Penix there or after a swap would still look bad. Just a bizarre move   lol

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Here was my initial thoughts. I get the cap went up and he is the 10th highest in cap allotment at the time of signing their contracts, but Lawrence has been pretty meh. I wouldn't exactly be thrilled to re-sign Williams at that level if his stats were equivalent. 

I literally made that same exact point this afternoon talking about this with my sons. If we made CW the highest paid player AAV-wise in the entire league in the 2027 offseason and he’s only shown to that point to be Baker Mayfield-ish then I’m gonna be pretty pissed about it. 

Don’t get me wrong - I get why they did it. Their current GM probably can’t afford to take an L on the #1 overall pick being not the guy, and they won’t be bad enough to draft a top prospect QB so long as he’s there because he’s not bad, so a bet on him approaching the remaining potential, even if not nearly as great of one as it was 2-3 years ago, is a totally logical choice IMO. But, letting him play out year 4 in 2024 for like $9M was right there too, as was year 5 at ~$25M in 2025 if need be. Yeah, if he becomes that dude then you’re paying more in a year or two, but if he stays what he is now you could have walked away in 2 years with no financial penalty too. I get it. I just wouldn’t have done it.

At this point the legend of Trevor Lawrence is still far bigger than what the player Trevor Lawrence has put on the field. Frankly, that’s been the case since after his freshman year at Clemson IMO. He’s shown that he can be a guy you win with, at least in flashes (some longer than others), but has he shown himself to be a guy you win because of up to this point? I don’t think so. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

WHAT DID YOU DO

Him talk about how that 72 year old *** Belichick is smashing a 24 year old former cheerleader now. Thats what him did. Bad @dll2000  lol

Screw it. I'll tell the joke here.

How many times does 24 go into 72? Yes, 3 times.

How many times does 72 go into 24? All night long.

usatsi-9862536.webp

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

WHAT DID YOU DO

When I read that I relived my mom walking in on the childhood dog and there was giant pile a crap in middle of living room and the table leg was chewed up.  

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

When I read that I relived my mom walking in on the childhood dog and there was giant pile a crap in middle of living room and the table leg was chewed up.  

That was exactly the intended energy, yes. 

As for Bill, without knowing any details besides the above, good for him man. 

As for random thoughts: spent my birthday weekend the other week taking care of the family who all got the lung plague.  Was supposed to spend fathers day with a little party in the harbor.  Daughter was on the dock for about 10 minutes before ralphing all over the dock.  Now home and we're making mashed potatoes. **** viruses and their ******* pals bacteria. 

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

My wife just realized it was Father's Day because of Facebook.

Mother's Day just got a LOT cheaper for me from here on out.

LOL.  My phone has been going off all day.   A bunch of people in my contacts want to wish me a happy Father’s Day for some reason.   

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

LOL.  My phone has been going off all day.   A bunch of people in my contacts want to wish me a happy Father’s Day for some reason.   

Most random was a happy fathers day from a competitor of mine super early this morning.  I would have dug into it further but I was attempting to illegally drive my boat trailer down LSD early enough that I wouldn't get noticed for a) having a trailer on LSD north b) having plates that expired in 2015 .  Was successful even at the very end when I had to cross the bike path when no joke like 30 bike cops went by, and 2 even stopped to take a pic of my boat.  Practiced my best friendly "please please please do not look at the back or ask how I go here) smile at max wattage. 

Trying to make bulgogi, have a good feeling about the marinade and sauce. 

Happy Fathers Day to those who procreate. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Today has sucked so bad  lol

I've gotten a bunch of texts from friends/family and been tagged a handful of times on Facebook by others, even jokingly by a few of my kids's friends because they love my cooking. The fact she completely forgot and just asked after noon if there was anything I wanted to do, or if I wanted her to cook "whatever I had planned for dinner tonight" just pissed me off.

Of course, my son realizes he screwed up, so he tries to mow the yard for me. Guess who ran over a ******* brick that he and his friends left out as a base for kickball? So tomorrow I have to call to see if it can get checked out, see if it is trashed or not. Blades clack against each other and it shakes like hell now. Hoping its just the blades being bent to **** and throwing the balance off.

A bit under half the yard looks pretty good now though, so kind of a silver lining?

• Like 2