2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

21 minutes ago, General Tso said:

A very sobering tweet about FA signing.

Thats pretty much why I don't like doing things like trading picks for Snead and then signing him to a big contract or blowing our bank on Christian Wilkins.  Players who look amazing in the system that makes them a top free agent may not be that good in another system or around other coaches/environments.  Its rare that a free agent goes somewhere and excels at the level they did prior.  I'd trust it with the elites in the game (Devante Adams, Tyreke Hill, Chris Jones, etc) but doing it with guys like Snead is setting yourself up for failure and bad cap situations. Its better to spend small on guys on short term deals who have the skill set to play in your system but have struggled elsewhere.  

• Like 1

My take on the Carlton Davis trade is that it helps us but it is underwhelming.  I still would have rather just signed Kendall Fuller and/or someone else similar and not lost the pick.  I like that we got a couple of late picks back but Holmes hot spot has been the third/fourth round so I hate seeing us lose those picks.  I think Davis will be much better than Vildor at least and even if we don't extend him, he should be a major upgrade for this year on paper.  My concern is between him and Moseley we have two injury prone CBs so still a lot of work to do depth wise.  I still expect a CB or two in the draft but I would much rather have the chance to take one at 92 and pay him little for four years vs Davis for a year or two.  Oddly enough Jalen Ramsey went for a third last year so this definitely feels like worse value. 

Davenport I am sort of Meh on as well.  He has had some solid years but with injuries it has been a while.  Its a relatively low risk move but feels like we replaced Okwara with Okwara.  He had a high pass rush grade in 2022 but only 1 sack which sounds a lot like the issue we had this year.  He also has been a career rotational player with 533 being his high career snaps in a season with an average of 450 snaps in his healthy years.  So it seems like a lot of money to pay a guy coming off a down year to be a rotational DE with Paschal.  But again, we needed DL help, this just isn't the exact player or contract I would have preferred.  

Still some guys out there I would like us to target.  Gilmore, Fuller (CB), Curl, Fuller (S), DJ Reader, Chase Young, Curtis Samuel, Connor Williams, are guys I hope we are talking to.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

My take on the Carlton Davis trade is that it helps us but it is underwhelming.  I still would have rather just signed Kendall Fuller and/or someone else similar and not lost the pick.  I like that we got a couple of late picks back but Holmes hot spot has been the third/fourth round so I hate seeing us lose those picks.  I think Davis will be much better than Vildor at least and even if we don't extend him, he should be a major upgrade for this year on paper.  My concern is between him and Moseley we have two injury prone CBs so still a lot of work to do depth wise.  I still expect a CB or two in the draft but I would much rather have the chance to take one at 92 and pay him little for four years vs Davis for a year or two.  Oddly enough Jalen Ramsey went for a third last year so this definitely feels like worse value. 

Davenport I am sort of Meh on as well.  He has had some solid years but with injuries it has been a while.  Its a relatively low risk move but feels like we replaced Okwara with Okwara.  He had a high pass rush grade in 2022 but only 1 sack which sounds a lot like the issue we had this year.  He also has been a career rotational player with 533 being his high career snaps in a season with an average of 450 snaps in his healthy years.  So it seems like a lot of money to pay a guy coming off a down year to be a rotational DE with Paschal.  But again, we needed DL help, this just isn't the exact player or contract I would have preferred.  

Still some guys out there I would like us to target.  Gilmore, Fuller (CB), Curl, Fuller (S), DJ Reader, Chase Young, Curtis Samuel, Connor Williams, are guys I hope we are talking to.  

Jordan Fuller is still unsigned as well.

34 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Something tells me Holmes is trying to play the comp pick game.

But we will see by the end of this week.

That very well could be it.  I don't see anyone other than Jonah getting a big contract from our free agent group.  Reynolds might get something decent but it seems dumb to risk a season on the potential of gaining a 4th/5th round pick next year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Any thoughts on Tyler Boyd coming in as WR2/WR3 and replacing Reynolds?

Its a big upgrade IMO but would be dependent on the cost.  As much as Reynolds drops to end the year hurt, he was pretty solid and has a good rapport with Goff so if he is cheap I don't hate retaining him.  Boyd would be very solid though and seems to fit the role we would want him to.  I still think I prefer Curtis Samuel for that role though.  

32 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Its a big upgrade IMO but would be dependent on the cost.  As much as Reynolds drops to end the year hurt, he was pretty solid and has a good rapport with Goff so if he is cheap I don't hate retaining him.  Boyd would be very solid though and seems to fit the role we would want him to.  I still think I prefer Curtis Samuel for that role though.  

I might be wrong on this so correct me if I am, but don't both those players play primarily the slot?  I feel like we have star(ter) and depth there.  We need an X to replace Reynolds if we upgrade.

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Tee Higgins would make this offense insane.

The problem is we have to pay him.  And giving a big deal to him as well as ARSB next year is crazy IMO.  Having $50+ Mil tied up in two WRs seems like a bad use of resources.  Not to mention the draft capital required to get him.  

• Like 1