2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

19 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Wasn’t Davis quoted that he wanted to get a feel for the organization before extending ? 

Mildly. Don't trade early picks for guys who won't sign long term. If he does not extend that's on GM 

30 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Mildly. Don't trade early picks for guys who won't sign long term. If he does not extend that's on GM 

Not getting an extension done prior to the start of the season is actually in the interest of Carlton Davis.  If he shows he is back to form after a bit of a down year and that he can do a better job of staying healthy, he will command much more in his next contract, whether it is with the Lions or someone else.  The restructuring give the Lions some short-term cap relief while giving Carlton Davis a chance to get the best deal possible on his next contract.  That isn't necessarily a fail by anyone.  Fyi #93 isn't necessarily considered an early pick.

Edited by Just Want A Title

50 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Grading trades before players even play is just insane.

However trades get graded all the time before players play. Every trade thus off season has a grade on some experts site.

It's just absurd here because not everyone drinks the koolaide?

It helps but at cost of a 3rd for one year rental st this point looks bad.

Time will tell 

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

If he contributes to a Superbowl but doesn't get extended, is it still a poor trade?

52 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

However trades get graded all the time before players play. Every trade thus off season has a grade on some experts site.

It's just absurd here because not everyone drinks the koolaide?

It helps but at cost of a 3rd for one year rental st this point looks bad.

Time will tell 

"Experts"

Grades are absurd as proven last year with our rookie class draft grades. Plenty of people didn't like the draft before the players even played.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, General Tso said:

"Experts"

Grades are absurd as proven last year with our rookie class draft grades. Plenty of people didn't like the draft before the players even played.

So you are happy trading for a 60 graded person and not extending them potentially? A #3 and maybe a #2 cb?

When this regime has focused on drafting good and then extending those players I think they went away from their bread and butter. If signing one year type players they should have signed someone that could have helped last year at trade deadline like Suh

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

So you are happy trading for a 60 graded person and not extending them potentially? A #3 and maybe a #2 cb?

When this regime has focused on drafting good and then extending those players I think they went away from their bread and butter. If signing one year type players they should have signed someone that could have helped last year at trade deadline like Suh

It's the first week of free agency for pete's sake. 

The team has also failed because they haven't signed Goff yet

or ASRB

or picked up Penei's 5th year option.

It's a long off-season, it's not worth caring about this yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, General Tso said:

It's the first week of free agency for pete's sake. 

The team has also failed because they haven't signed Goff yet

or ASRB

or picked up Penei's 5th year option.

It's a long off-season, it's not worth caring about this yet.

Maybe true if GB hadn't kept pace and Chicago hadn't improved significantly already. 

Detroit has a small window here with Goff and ARSB. 

so until they get these pieces in line I'll be critical 

Chicago is closing that gap with Det/GB fast 

8 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Maybe true if GB hadn't kept pace and Chicago hadn't improved significantly already. 

Offseason champions are very rarely actual champions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

As far as I know, this is the only time they have made this kind of trade.  It doesn't seem like they are changing anything.

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I am guessing the thought process is that they get a guy they really like and can try him in their system.  If he works out and want's to stay, we have the best shot at keeping him.  If he doesn't stay and wants to sign elsewhere then we likely will be in the market for a comp pick the next year after he signs elsewhere.  I have a feeling we never will be huge players in the free agent game, especially once we have to start paying our own guys.  So this gives us a chance to add picks in the future.  

Now I am not saying thats smart or the best plan of action (I would have preferred Fuller at a cheaper deal and no draft pick) but that doesn't mean its wrong.  I know Holmes is particular about the CBs he adds, but to this point other than Branch, we haven't had much luck with them.  So this will either show he is right in being selective or show they need to rethink their approach to the position.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Green Bay added Xavier McKinney and Josh Jacobs.  They lost Darnell Savage, John Runyan Jr and Aaron Jones.  McKinney is an upgrade for sure.  Josh Jacobs is a solid RB but averaged 3.5 yards per carry last year.  One thing you can say about the Packers is that they have a ton of draft capital this year but that doesn't translate to on-field success (see oft-injured  Christian Watson).

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-2024-free-agency-rundown-here-s-the-latest

The Bears added Keenan Allen, Coleman Shelton, Kevin Byard, D'Andre Swift and Gerald Everett.  Byard is a good safety but will be 31 when the season starts.  Gerald Everett is #2TE for the Bears and will be 30 years old when the season starts.  Keenan Allen will be 32 years old when the season starts and will be playing for a cold-weather team for the first time in his career.  D'Andre Swift had one big year that happened to be in his contract year (funny coincidence).  They also have 4 draft picks this year.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/chi/chicago-bears

The Bears signed some good but aging veterans but cut their draft class to 4-selections in a very deep draft and have a new OC.  The Packers have made one upgrade with the Xavier McKinney signing and do have the opportunity to add a lot of young talent but nothing is set in stone with them.  They have a new DC as well.

You are leaning really far in front of the skis with the assumptions of improvements with the Bears and the Packers. 

57 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

One thing to consider with Chicago:  How does the handling of Justin Fields by the coaching staff and how things were handled by Ryan Proles go over in the locker room?  As we have seen with the Lions how an organization handles itself can make a big difference in the locker room as well as wins and losses.