2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

14 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

You kind of invalidated part of your argument.  If the draft pick compensation and the contract are in line with "market values then why weren't more teams lined up to make the move?  There were a fair number of teams with the cap-flexibility to get it done.  It narrowed down to the Titans pretty quickly.  It wasn't "only the contract" any more than it was "only the balky knee" that tamped down interest.

I didn't invalidate anything.  Since when is a player going for the market rate considered a bad thing?  You are claiming he went at a reduced rate because of the knee.  But he didn't.

And again you are inferring that other teams were not lined up to make the move.  And you are inferring that Snead is perceived around the league on the level of Jalen Ramsey. And you are inferring that Snead wanted to go elsewhere since he was the one reaching out to teams discussing contracts.

The only inferring I will do is that the Titans offered him the best contract that he wanted to sign and then the Chiefs got the best deal from the Titans that they could, which matches what Ramsey went for.  You could also infer that he wanted to be closer to his home town.  Given New Orleans is in cap hell and Dallas isn't far behind, and Houston is all set at CB, Tennessee is the next closest team to his home town.  But again, that would just be made up with no support.  

And nothing narrowed down quickly, this thing has dragged on for a few weeks while people expected something sooner.  The fact the Chiefs resigned Jones and were not in a great spot cap wise lost them leverage.  They couldn't really keep Snead on the franchise tag without pushing a bunch more cap down the road hindering their future.  If this happened 3 weeks ago, more teams could have been involved before spending in free agency.  

All we know is he was traded for a third to Tennessee and that's about what players of his value have gone for.  Anything other than that is speculation (which is another word for gossip when your speculation comes off as fact). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

That new kickoff rule will have an impact. Get a good speedy returner and a couple blocks and it's game over 

It will be interesting.  Good return men will likely be sought after again and having really good special teams defenders will be important given there will be more space. 

The one thing I don't like is it takes away the surprise onside kick which isn't used often but we have used it a couple of times.  

Also, I do like how DC already mentioned how he and Fipp are looking at ways to attack the return game with the new rules.  They seem excited about it.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It will be interesting.  Good return men will likely be sought after again and having really good special teams defenders will be important given there will be more space. 

The one thing I don't like is it takes away the surprise onside kick which isn't used often but we have used it a couple of times.  

Also, I do like how DC already mentioned how he and Fipp are looking at ways to attack the return game with the new rules.  They seem excited about it.  

The new rule seems to fit the Lions mentality.  They like to make plays on special teams that can change the momentum of games for sure.  It should make games a little more fun to watch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It will be fun to see of pushing the trade deadline back one week will create more trade activity.

The only increase in activity I can foresee is it’s another week where teams have an opportunity to replace that weeks injured players. I suspect it will just delay deadline deals by a week.

6 minutes ago, General Tso said:

If it's BPA sure.

I just feel like DPJ shouldnt be overlooked as the full time #3.

It would be pretty easy to upgrade on DPJ with pretty much any WR they’d pick in the first couple rounds in this draft….theres at least 7 or 8 that are better coming out of school than DPJ currently is.

Edited by Miblue

15 minutes ago, Miblue said:

It would be pretty easy to upgrade on DPJ with pretty much any WR they’d pick in the first couple rounds in this draft….theres at least 7 or 8 that are better coming out of school than DPJ currently is.

I mean yes, but I just think the potential for upgrade isn't as pressing to me as getting another CB or DE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Maybe I wasn't watching FA close enough and I know there was some trades but I feel like the cap increase made this offseason boring.

Not speaking Detroit specifically but more NFL as a whole.

Anyone else agree? 

Maybe.  It gave more teams a chance to retain/re-sign their own players.  The draft might have a surprising number of trades though

8 hours ago, Miblue said:

Mike Danna would be a good pickup before the draft

I am really surprised he isn't signed already.  He is a very solid player.  Maybe he is hoping the Chiefs can clear enough cap space to get a deal done but that seems like a long-shot at this point.