Pre-Combine Mock w/ some FA thoughts.

warfelg

Before I get to the mock part of this, I have a small Free Agent primer of positions I think we could sign someone at and a cross section of players it could be.  Now mind you, this isn't what I think will happen, rather what I think should happen

For free agents, italicized is my "pie in the sky" type guy, while the normal fonts are guys, while bolded players are the likely.

DL: Justin Madubuike, Grover Stewart, Javon Kinlaw
CB: Jaylon Johnson, Kendall FullerKenny Moore, Jeff Okudah
C : Connor Williams, Andre James, Lloyd Cushenberry
S: Kyle Dugger, Kamren Curl, CJ Gardner-Johnson, Jeremy Chinn
RT: Mike Onwenu, Mekhi Becton
LB: Frankie Luvu, Jordyn Brooks, Azeez Al-Shaair, Josey Jewell
WR: Darnell Mooney, Tyler Boyd
QB: Ryan Tannehill

I feel like if you go through with signing the bolded this team is in good enough going into the draft that you don't need to force any picks and can let the draft come to you.  James and Onwenu are good enough on the line that you are happy with them starting, however if you can upgrade over them you would.  Same with Fuller, Okudah, Gardner-Johnson, Chinn in the secondary.  

TRADE 1:20 and 7:238 to Detroit for 1:29 and 2:61

1:29 - Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma - What I really like here is he's played the right and left side and was really successful.  As a swing tackle in year one he's in great position to learn the first year.  Additionally this means we don't need to extend James Daniels and Onwenu can start at RT in 2023, take over RG in 2024 while Guyton takes over the starting spot.

2:51 - TJ Tampa CB Iowa State - Long, strong, good at mirroring, and would make a good Porter running mate.  He's out of the Big 12, so he's very tested at the spot due to all the air raid offenses.  He could come in and start day 1.

2:61 - McKinnley Jackson NT Texas A&M - He's a big NT 0-T guy to put in the middle.  Really strong and stuffs the run.  Would allow us to move Benton to DE, and possible take over for Larry O by the end of the season as the starter there, long term lessening the need for major changes here.

3:84 - Cole Bishop S Utah - A big box safety, the type I think we've been pursuing next to Minkah.  The best part is that because of FA signings, Bishop wouldn't have to start day one.  I see him as a poor mans Kyle Hamilton who can thrive in the short area coverage and dime backer role after a year of study.

4:120 - Malik Washington WR Virginia - I know I signed Mooney, but with Austin being unknown and DJ cruising for FA, you still need someone here.  Yes, he is smaller at 5'8", but setting school records is nothing to scoff at.  He's very fluid in route running and has some elite speed.

4:121 - Michael Pratt QB Tulane - Injury in the second half of the year held him back, but he's an elusive athletic guy when healthy, with a really good arm and quick processing.  He's been described as CP3 at the QB position and can make everything around him look good.  

6:197 - Gabe Hall DT Baylor - He's already played 5T in a 3-4 and has shown to be an elite gap holder.  He doesn't have speed or flexibility to be a great pass rusher but in the 4-3 front he can use his strength and run stuffing to force a few pass rush opportunities.

• Like 5

I don’t see the point of NOT extending Daniels…

I’ve heard good things on Bishop and think Guyton could be in play for 1.20.

I don’t think a team gives up a 2nd to move up 9 spots in the late 1st.

I like adding a SS in FA as it’s actually a good crop to choose from.

58 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Before I get to the mock part of this, I have a small Free Agent primer of positions I think we could sign someone at and a cross section of players it could be.  Now mind you, this isn't what I think will happen, rather what I think should happen

For free agents, italicized is my "pie in the sky" type guy, while the normal fonts are guys, while bolded players are the likely.

DL: Justin Madubuike, Grover Stewart, Javon Kinlaw
CB: Jaylon Johnson, Kendall FullerKenny Moore, Jeff Okudah
C : Connor Williams, Andre James, Lloyd Cushenberry
S: Kyle Dugger, Kamren Curl, CJ Gardner-Johnson, Jeremy Chinn
RT: Mike Onwenu, Mekhi Becton
LB: Frankie Luvu, Jordyn Brooks, Azeez Al-Shaair, Josey Jewell
WR: Darnell Mooney, Tyler Boyd
QB: Ryan Tannehill

I feel like if you go through with signing the bolded this team is in good enough going into the draft that you don't need to force any picks and can let the draft come to you.  James and Onwenu are good enough on the line that you are happy with them starting, however if you can upgrade over them you would.  Same with Fuller, Okudah, Gardner-Johnson, Chinn in the secondary.  

TRADE 1:20 and 7:238 to Detroit for 1:29 and 2:61

1:29 - Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma - What I really like here is he's played the right and left side and was really successful.  As a swing tackle in year one he's in great position to learn the first year.  Additionally this means we don't need to extend James Daniels and Onwenu can start at RT in 2023, take over RG in 2024 while Guyton takes over the starting spot.

Good pick. He is an interesting prospect and fits the versatility mold that the Steelers reaaly like from OL.  You potentially have two OT's who can be interchangeable.  

2:51 - TJ Tampa CB Iowa State - Long, strong, good at mirroring, and would make a good Porter running mate.  He's out of the Big 12, so he's very tested at the spot due to all the air raid offenses.  He could come in and start day 1.

Potential for the best starting set of young CB's since the days of Rod Woodson and Belton Delton Hall/Carnell Lake/Willie Williams.

2:61 - McKinnley Jackson NT Texas A&M - He's a big NT 0-T guy to put in the middle.  Really strong and stuffs the run.  Would allow us to move Benton to DE, and possible take over for Larry O by the end of the season as the starter there, long term lessening the need for major changes here.

Got younger and more stout up the middle. Having a good secondar, pass rush, and the ability for 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 7-8.  Easier to get the defense off the field and the ball back in the offenses hands.

3:84 - Cole Bishop S Utah - A big box safety, the type I think we've been pursuing next to Minkah.  The best part is that because of FA signings, Bishop wouldn't have to start day one.  I see him as a poor mans Kyle Hamilton who can thrive in the short area coverage and dime backer role after a year of study.

I am probably going IOL here. Signing Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Chinn makes this not as high a priority. I would get my future franchise Center or another good IOL and look to move someone to be a back-up Center.  WR, ILB?

4:120 - Malik Washington WR Virginia - I know I signed Mooney, but with Austin being unknown and DJ cruising for FA, you still need someone here.  Yes, he is smaller at 5'8", but setting school records is nothing to scoff at.  He's very fluid in route running and has some elite speed.

Good pick. My conselation prize to Malichai Corley.  

4:121 - Michael Pratt QB Tulane - Injury in the second half of the year held him back, but he's an elusive athletic guy when healthy, with a really good arm and quick processing.  He's been described as CP3 at the QB position and can make everything around him look good.  

I would not focus on QB at all. I would get a veteran or sign two veteran free agents as I hope Pickett and Mason compete. A rookie does nothing, especially another  developmental one. 

6:197 - Gabe Hall DT Baylor - He's already played 5T in a 3-4 and has shown to be an elite gap holder.  He doesn't have speed or flexibility to be a great pass rusher but in the 4-3 front he can use his strength and run stuffing to force a few pass rush opportunities.

Hopefully the draft gods are with us. I don't see him falling this far. I am guessing in the 4-5 range at the lateset. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he went as early as the 3rd round. 

What I like: DL has a future and opportunity to get better. CB has CB1, CB2, CB3. Minkah has plenty of help at safety and can play as a true FS, OT fixed. The trade down and adding a pick.

What I don't like:  Center ignored, young 4th round QB instead of another veteran, too much safety. Minkah, Chinn, CGJ, and Eric Rowe, no need for draft pick here, 

16 minutes ago, AFF said:

I don’t see the point of NOT extending Daniels…

I’ve heard good things on Bishop and think Guyton could be in play for 1.20.

I don’t think a team gives up a 2nd to move up 9 spots in the late 1st.

I like adding a SS in FA as it’s actually a good crop to choose from.

Daniels think for me is his extension would come after FA and the draft so in this case you have the players and flexibility you need moving forward. If you want to extend him and Onwenu becomes another up and down the line flexible player like Anderson that’s fine too. 

I think given the nature of this draft someone would easily give that up. The value there is basically 930 out for Detroit for 860 in. Maybe we toss a 2025 4th in there to balance it but it’s close. 

That’s what I’m looking at with FA and SS. We can get a starter who’s more a deep guy and the hitter. Chin and CJ are basically that combo. Then we draft a guy and develop him off those sets. 

7 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

What I don't like:  Center ignored, young 4th round QB instead of another veteran, too much safety. Minkah, Chinn, CGJ, and Eric Rowe, no need for draft pick here, 

If you look up at FA signings, I would go the vet route here with James. I also showed signing Tannehill as the vet, not a young guy who can be a threat to Pickett is the better push. CGJ and Rowe are older and not long term options. Besides at that point not going straight BPA is what’s has hurt us. 

EDIT: I put in a mini FA primer for a reason. Without it we have too many needs to better define the draft IMO. As of right now we need starting level: NT, ILB, CB, SS, RT, and C. You can’t come out of one draft with all of that. So I used FA to help and narrow the focus of needs, future, and wants. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If you look up at FA signings, I would go the vet route here with James.

He hasn't played Center in a while and is a B to B+ type of RG. I don't want to lose that. I agree with signing a moderately priced vet to replace Chuks.

I also showed signing Tannehill as the vet, not a young guy who can be a threat to Pickett is the better push.

I acknowledge that. With a young QB, I think you go the route of veteran back-ups.  The Steelers had the most success with Batch and Byron backing up Ben than they did Landry, Mason, Duck, Dobbs, etc.

CGJ and Rowe are older and not long term options. Besides at that point not going straight BPA is what’s has hurt us. 

I agree on age with Rowe, CGJ is only 26.  I am never against BPA, but as the draft deepens you have to consider value vs. need as well. No doubt that has hurt us before, but at that point of the draft, you have multiple targets with multiple grades unless you get a first round grade that drops. I remember the Browns jumping the Steelers to take JOK who fell in the second round. We ended up taking Pat Freiermuth because he had a higher draft grade than Creed Humphrey.

I am just trying to offer different thoughts.

EDIT: I put in a mini FA primer for a reason. Without it we have too many needs to better define the draft IMO. As of right now we need starting level: NT, ILB, CB, SS, RT, and C. You can’t come out of one draft with all of that. So I used FA to help and narrow the focus of needs, future, and wants. 

I am with you there.

15 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

He hasn't played Center in a while and is a B to B+ type of RG. I don't want to lose that. I agree with signing a moderately priced vet to replace Chuks.

Andre James was the starting center for the Raiders

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Connor Williams, Andre James, Lloyd Cushenberry

I think Biadasz is the guy they're going to go after for some reason. I'd be happy with James or Cush. 

RT: Mike Onwenu,

I'd really like Onwenu. I loved him as a prospect. He's a mauler too. 

I'm honestly against drafting a plugger at this point. I don't think our defense is built to have one. We play with only 2 down guys so often I don't really want to use a pick, other than a 6th or 7th, on one. I understand the rational behind the pick, I just don't think it's something the staff really wants. 

Also, strong effort on the post in general.

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Biadasz is the guy they're going to go after for some reason. I'd be happy with James or Cush. 

I'd really like Onwenu. I loved him as a prospect. He's a mauler too. 

I'm honestly against drafting a plugger at this point. I don't think our defense is built to have one. We play with only 2 down guys so often I don't really want to use a pick, other than a 6th or 7th, on one. I understand the rational behind the pick, I just don't think it's something the staff really wants. 

Also, strong effort on the post in general.

Just my take on the plugger is we haven’t really invested in one but played them enough. I like the idea of having one anyways. Even in sub fronts they can offer up something. The idea of Highsmith-Jackson-Benton-Watt is really enticing for the future. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Just my take on the plugger is we haven’t really invested in one but played them enough. I like the idea of having one anyways. Even in sub fronts they can offer up something. The idea of Highsmith-Jackson-Benton-Watt is really enticing for the future. 

I'd rather have Kris Jenkins or Maason Smith personally because I value versatility a little more. I think both those guys accomplish the same task as a plugger, but provide more in other ways. 

41 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd rather have Kris Jenkins or Maason Smith personally because I value versatility a little more. I think both those guys accomplish the same task as a plugger, but provide more in other ways. 

Fair enough. I still like those two, just prefer Jackson more. He stands out on tape better than those two ImO. 

• Like 1