Duane Brown Expected to Hold Out

ET80

On 7/24/2017 at 9:25 AM, amazingandre said:

Hopefully Brown shows up, our oline will need him, especially with Watson pushing for the job.

Doesn't looks like Duane will be there. This hits hard, he's the leader of the offense and the best OL on the team by a significant margin.

Hope this gets squared up.

7 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Doesn't looks like Duane will be there. This hits hard, he's the leader of the offense and the best OL on the team by a significant margin.

Hope this gets squared up.

I would dig in if I were Smith. His deal is still a good deal for his age and injury history. It's not like he is being underpaid. I would call his bluff, fine him and not re-imburse him for days he misses. 

I'm really not worried about him missing camp until say Wednesday before the third preaseason game. As long as he's there by then all that happened is we got some of our other tackles more work, and lord knows they need it.

2 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I would dig in if I were Smith. His deal is still a good deal for his age and injury history. It's not like he is being underpaid. I would call his bluff, fine him and not re-imburse him for days he misses. 

I'm actually the other side of this coin - I'm OK with extended him by a year and converting some of his base salary into a signing bonus. Give him some cash to play with, but still leave his deal workable when you need to free up cap for Clowney and McKinney next offseason.

I think the one person who is watching this very intently is Hopkins. If they buck for Brown, Hopkins will be on the first flight out to SC to start his holdout.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

Wait how is this now a different topic? 

More witchcraft? 

I split the topic. It was getting a lot of discussion and Webby want that type of thing in it's own thread rather than a more general catch all topic where it can get lost or tough to follow and find

4 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Wait how is this now a different topic? 

More witchcraft? 

Mods have the power to "split out" new topics from existing topics. We're also looking to get away from the generic "singular" threads (Off Season Thread, Draft Thread, Training Camp Thread, etc...)

It's technically Voodoo, not Witchcraft. 

If you cave to Brown now, it will only be worse for us going forward with guys like Hopkins, Clowney, McKinney and even Watt if he wants more guarantees. Brown signed a solid deal in 2012. He is still being paid top 10 OT money. You could make an argument he is being overpaid. The reality is, he is older and banged up. We really should get a new LT and move him to the right side. I know we aren't in the best position without him, but there is 0 chance he misses games because of this. He will not leave that money out there. So sit him down, say listen dude, we aren't extending you, show up now and we will give you the money from OTAs you missed out on, or don't show up, get fined every day and know for a fact we will not give that money back to you in September when you come to work. 

Archived