Reggie Bush (wants) to retire as a Saint

Spartica4Real

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

The Hawk rumors were true so for those who feel Bush was a bust just remember that Payton's 2nd choice was a guy who had a very underwhelming career at linebacker. Also if Hawk is drafted do the Saints eventually trade for Vilma??? 

I don't like this timeline!

One of my favorite things about Reggie was I remember a lot of (clueless) people talking about how there's no way he'd want to sign with NOLA, how he has some big ego and is "way too big" for our ol small Saints, how he was all about the flashy lights of LA at USC and would bolt to some big market team ASAP and would be unhappy his entire time here. Reggie ended up being one of the most humble, selfless players I've seen and donated a TON of money to Katrina relief, he was the opposite of a big headed guy with a huge ego. Still <3 you Reggie. 

2 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

One of my favorite things about Reggie was I remember a lot of (clueless) people talking about how there's no way he'd want to sign with NOLA, how he has some big ego and is "way too big" for our ol small Saints,

According to Payton’s book (so take that for what it’s worth), Reggie’s agent told Payton he’d sit out a year if the Saints drafted him.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

I mean without Bush, I don't think Payton would've gone through such lengths to get a Flex-back like he has over the years.  

You could say that, it’s definitely possible.

I think it’s just as likely that  Faulks 1993 campaign shaped the way Payton would build his offense around the position and Reggie was his first opportunity to grab find a playmaker to fill that role.

I don’t think Reggie helped Payton realize what the position could be for his offense, I think Faulk did. Bush just fell to us and was a perfect fit for what Payton already wanted from the position. 

IIRC we ran a pretty normal offense the first year with just a few wrinkles using Reggie and it just grew each year as Payton found ways to use him. 

Reggie led our team in receptions and targets that year. 34 of those receptions came in the first 5 games.

IMO Payton knew how he wanted to use Reggie from the word go. 

20 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

According to Payton’s book (so take that for what it’s worth), Reggie’s agent told Payton he’d sit out a year if the Saints drafted him.

Reggie probably didn't want to play for the Saints, but sitting out a year was probably a bluff.

Honestly I can't blame him because the Saints were pretty much the Browns before 2006, and had just went 3-13 the year prior, got ravaged by Katrina, and there was all that talk of moving the  team to San Antonio.

As it turns out though, it obviously worked out great for both parties.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Reggie probably didn't want to play for the Saints, but sitting out a year was probably a bluff.

Considering we drafted him and he did play, I don’t think we need to say it was probably a bluff. ;) 

Payton said his response to the agent saying Reggie would sit out was “F*** you.” And he hung up.

Story could totally be 100% fabricated too, for all I know.

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

Considering we drafted him and he did play, I don’t think we need to say it was probably a bluff. ;) 

Payton said his response to the agent saying Reggie would sit out was “F*** you.” And he hung up.

Story could totally be 100% fabricated too, for all I know.

Could be, but it's not surprising at all that someone wouldn't want to play for the Saints pre 2006.  That's kinda what I expect players to feel like.

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Could be, but it's not surprising at all that someone wouldn't want to play for the Saints pre 2006.  That's kinda what I expect players to feel like.

And we’d seen Eli successfully pull it off 2 years before, maybe Bush felt he had that kind of leverage and Payton called them in it.

It could embellished on Paytons part as well. Saying that to an agent and hanging up is a bold move for a rookie HC. Even Payton.

Either way, I’m glad it worked out!

How much "leverage" does a guy have when #1 doesn't take him? I think that was Eli's leverage. He was going #1 and didn't want it. Or at least didn't want the #32 team.

Reggie would have had to slide all the way to #6 or 7 to stay in California, and picks 3 & 4 weren't all that sexy either (Titans, Jets). Green Bay was at #5. That would have been a really good spot for him, team wise, but not scheme wise.

Reggie is obviously thankful in hindsight, and should be.

Archived