Commanders sign Zach Ertz to 1 year deal

14 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’ve given this some thought, and the one thing I can say for this signing is that I believe there are certain “thinking man” positions that require more savvy/mental ability than others. On offense, I think these positions are QB, C, and TE — defensively, it’s mostly LB and maybe some single-high safety roles — and I think that’s why those positions take longer to fully assimilate to the pro game.

I’ve seen a number of scenarios on the internet and elsewhere that would have us drafting a QB and then doing something like taking Ja’Tavion Sanders at 40 (or trading up for Bowers) and then trying to snag someone like Zach Frazier or Sedrick Van Pran at 67.

I like a lot of those players, but I really don’t like the concept of having rookies at all of those key positions that require a more cerebral approach. I don’t think that is a great way to help put a young QB in a position to succeed. 

In that way, signing a veteran like Ertz (who knows a lot of the concepts in the Kingsbury offense) makes a lot of sense. He can be reliably in the right place most of the time, and he can help the QB see things the right way. It does make him a better “safety blanket” than a lot of more physically capable players who would also be learning their way through a totally new system.

I think they may do the same with the C position, although I’m not sure there’s a direct line to either Kingsbury or Lynn available. Someone like Cushenberry would make a lot of sense as a “splurge,” just to put the most reliable structure possible around a rookie QB.

Yeah but availability has to play a factor in this as well. Ertz does us no good if he's never on the field. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah but availability has to play a factor in this as well. Ertz does us no good if he's never on the field. 

Exactly and what I was going to say. Let's be honest, this is an aged vet on his last legs. Again, I understand why he was signed bc he knows the offense but I don't really expect much from him but again, I'd love to be wrong.

Preferably, I would've liked to have spent a little more to sign a FA like Hunter Henry or Geskicki rather than praying Ertz can stay healthy for the first time in 4 years or just have kept Logan considering he had a decent year last year despite all of the issues with our O. 

Anyway, I hope this works but it's definitely not who I would've signed.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/8/2024 at 3:14 PM, turtle28 said:

Exactly and what I was going to say. Let's be honest, this is an aged vet on his last legs. Again, I understand why he was signed bc he knows the offense but I don't really expect much from him but again, I'd love to be wrong.

Preferably, I would've liked to have spent a little more to sign a FA like Hunter Henry or Geskicki rather than praying Ertz can stay healthy for the first time in 4 years or just have kept Logan considering he had a decent year last year despite all of the issues with our O. 

Anyway, I hope this works but it's definitely not who I would've signed.

It's possible we also sign another veteran TE like the ones you posted. I like the Ertz signing because of the familiarity. Kingsbury is gonna need to have some people on the field and in the room that know what he's trying to do and if we truly are going to go the draft route, even if Ertz isn't the best TE on the roster he is valuable.

• Like 1