Vikings Sign RB Aaron Jones

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes, if they don't extend him.  And with the increase in the salary cap, I'm not sure they care.  🤣

Right, I wasn't criticizing it. Just mentioning it. They have done void years with some of their 2024 contracts so far. Not all of them though. 

The Vikings signed running back Aaron Jones in free agency, and Adofo-Mensah said he thinks that after years of NFL teams devaluing running backs, it may have gone too far.

Kwesi: “We get the conversation about running backs and age and different things like that, maybe that dynamic has gone a little too far to the other side, and teams are realizing that there are still really good players at their value. It’s a position where we can really upgrade performance pretty efficiently. We’re excited to have him.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-the-dynamic-on-veteran-running-backs-has-gone-a-little-too-far

• Like 1

According to KFAN Vikings HC Kevin O’Connell “ran through the halls” at TCO performance center in excitement when Aaron Jones became a possibility for Minnesota.

O’Connell: “I offered to drive up to Wisconsin and pack his bags for him.”

ya can't tell me O'Connell doesn't want a strong and innovative running game.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

ya can't tell me O'Connell doesn't want a strong and innovative running game.

I always have thought he did...but I just don't think he necessarily hired the right guy in Modkins to deliver that. 

• Like 3

Packers head coach Matt LaFleur says that until the first day that teams could talk to free agents this offseason, he was under the impression that running back Aaron Jones would be back in Green Bay. Instead, the Packers cut Jones and signed free agent running back Josh Jacobs, and LaFleur said he didn’t see that coming.

LaFleur:  “It kind of caught me off guard, to be honest with you. There were some other things in play, obviously with Aaron Jones, and I didn’t quite know how everything was going to go. It just happened really fast on that Monday. It happened really fast, so I don’t know all the details of that. I’m not involved in those types of conversations. But we were super excited to get Jacobs.”

The Packers had hoped to convince Jones to take a pay cut, but he declined and was released instead. He signed a one-year, $7 million contract with the Vikings, while the Packers gave Jacobs a four-year, $48 million contract.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/matt-lafleur-cutting-aaron-jones-signing-josh-jacobs-caught-me-off-guard

21 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Sounds like they need to work on their collaboration 

I think it's clearly evident from the whole A-Rodg situation that Gutey isn't really all that interested in collaboration.  He's up in his ivory tower...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aaron Jones: "I've played with a No. 1 receiver, Davante, and now being here with a No. 1 receiver, and then two No. 1s if you ask me, or three No. 1s if you throw T.J. in there. It's like who are you going to guard?"

“I told J.J. today, I'm like, 'Man, I'm ready to get on the field with you, you're going to make my job easier. He's like nah, you're going to make my job easier. I guess that's what we're here for. He's going to take some attention off me, hopefully I can do the same."

MinnesotaSportsMania.com

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jones has 272 career receptions and 18 touchdowns through the air to go along with his career rushing average of 5.0 per carry (5,940 yards on 1,177 rushes). He will be a threat as a receiving target, especially when defenses will direct so much of their attention toward other Vikings skill players. He also has demonstrated skills in blitz pickup.

Offensive Coordinator Wes Phillips: "Aaron's been a great player. He's a UTEP Miner, the second best player to ever play there behind Hall of Famer Don Maynard. I knew what kind of person he was just from my contacts, the football ops guy that was still there."

"When he went to school there, I had heard about what a phenomenal human being he was. And then obviously, the playmaking ability on the field. He can pass protect, he can run routes out of the backfield, and he can obviously run the football, so a really big pickup for us."

vikings.com

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Jefferson:  "We have a whole bunch of different weapons on our offense. Just getting Aaron Jones into this offense, with his ability to run the ball and being able to be explosive, it just goes back to having Dalvin Cook back on this offense. Having that same type of mindset, having that same type of similarity. I feel like he's going to do fantastic with us."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40396049/nfl-vikings-jj-mccarthy-start-justin-jefferson