Team Needs?

Ghostnote

38 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i was stupid enough to believe Jefferson was brought in to cover up in case a RB would make it past the ILBs. 

The unfortunate reality is that Jefferson doesn't look any faster than any of our ILB's. We're better off using Levine and Chuck Clark in that role. Levine is slowly becoming a very important and versatile player in Dean Pees' scheme, seeing that he plays 3 positions.

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I wouldn't be in-favor of adding a "thumper" ILB next to Mosley. Not in a role that would lead to any amount of numerous snaps at least. It would be like cutting off a foot to fix an ingrown toenail (which is actually really painful, but still). Defenses can't afford to have guys who can't move in space occupying the middle of the field. They're going to get toasted. I mean Pees doesn't have anybody actually cover the middle of the field so it wouldn't be a huge liability in his most excellent scheme, but you want speed. You want athleticism. Unless you're talking about an elite prospect those things are generally mutually exclusive with strength and size at inside linebacker.

Whether it's good for Mosley individually or not the defense as a whole needs somebody mobile enough to drop back or stick with backs/tight ends running wherever. Can't just have one guy out there able to do that because then your scheme gets pretty limited and a lot of possible pre-snap adjustments are thrown out the window. I will give Pees credit for running way more dime looks this season, I think that's been the biggest factor in the defense sometimes looking so good. Nothing else has changed in terms of his play calling style or overall scheme, but hey getting the right personnel to match up with modern offenses is a huge step in the right direction. 

Not saying that inside linebacker isn't a need, because it mostly is (Onwuasor is okay), but count me as a big oh hell no to an inside linebacker on the field that's only there to take on blocks. 

I think you’re trying to tie a correlation to the Darryl Smith “thumper” statement to me implying that we should add a “thumper” running mate. That was not where I was going with that. 

I simply want to highlight the fact that Mosley came into the NFL at 6’2” 235 lbs and was more of a cover linebacker that could play the run. Now he’s 6’2” 250 lbs and turning more into a “thumper” linebacker who is losing his ability to consistently play the pass.

We saw with Ray Lewis that bulking up can have an affect on a players game. When we drafted Ngata, he was able to slim down and had one of his better seasons in 2006. That’s my point.

What most people don’t realize is that to stop the impact of a runner and take on blockers while still making a tackle, one needs to have a frame that can withstand that. The more blocks Mosley has to take and shed to stunt the run game, the more bodily damage. So either you bulk up or get hurt. Or get hurt more often from bulking up too much.

So stated another way, if we add an ILB that similar to Mosley is a cover linebacker that plays the run well, someone in that 235 lbs range. They can both equally share the burden.

My correlation is between how when Mosley first came in the league his running mate was 15 lbs more, now it’s 30lbs less. I think the best strategy is to meet those numbers in the middle. Luke Kuechly plays at 238 lbs, Lavonte David at 233 lbs. Both of those guys are similar frame to Mosley. I think that’s the new ideal size for an inside linebacker in the league. Enough to take the punishment, but fit enough to cover in space. And I think that’s both what Mosley needs to get back to as well as have next to him.

On 12/18/2017 at 3:55 PM, diamondbull424 said:

I think you’re trying to tie a correlation to the Darryl Smith “thumper” statement to me implying that we should add a “thumper” running mate. That was not where I was going with that. 

I simply want to highlight the fact that Mosley came into the NFL at 6’2” 235 lbs and was more of a cover linebacker that could play the run. Now he’s 6’2” 250 lbs and turning more into a “thumper” linebacker who is losing his ability to consistently play the pass.

We saw with Ray Lewis that bulking up can have an affect on a players game. When we drafted Ngata, he was able to slim down and had one of his better seasons in 2006. That’s my point.

What most people don’t realize is that to stop the impact of a runner and take on blockers while still making a tackle, one needs to have a frame that can withstand that. The more blocks Mosley has to take and shed to stunt the run game, the more bodily damage. So either you bulk up or get hurt. Or get hurt more often from bulking up too much.

So stated another way, if we add an ILB that similar to Mosley is a cover linebacker that plays the run well, someone in that 235 lbs range. They can both equally share the burden.

My correlation is between how when Mosley first came in the league his running mate was 15 lbs more, now it’s 30lbs less. I think the best strategy is to meet those numbers in the middle. Luke Kuechly plays at 238 lbs, Lavonte David at 233 lbs. Both of those guys are similar frame to Mosley. I think that’s the new ideal size for an inside linebacker in the league. Enough to take the punishment, but fit enough to cover in space. And I think that’s both what Mosley needs to get back to as well as have next to him.

Sort of apropos of nothing, this made me reminisce about old school Ray Lewis.  Circa 2000 Lewis was pretty much a perfect defensive player.  Could shed blockers better than anyone I've ever seen, played the pass very well, rarely ever missed a tackle that he was lined up for.  He was better with big guys in front of him to let him go sideline to sideline, but that's true of every single ILB ever, so not really a meaningful criticism.  

Archived