Dan Marino V John Elway V Brett Favre

Best QB During Prime   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Best QB During Prime

• Dan Marino
    • Brett Favre
    • John Elway

On 3/28/2024 at 12:33 PM, OkeyDoke21 said:

This is true.  Same thing with Troy Aikman.  During his prime, he was mentioned with the elites, now he gets spoken of almost like a joke.  The way Elway's career gets viewed is really elevated by the way it ended, too.  

Why is Aikman even being brought up in here?  Aikman had (1), maybe (2) top 5 QB seasons in his entire career if I'm being generous.  He is probably the most celebrated mediocre QB in the history of the NFL.  If he was drafted and played on any other team than the Cowboys nobody would even remember who he is.  He has no business being in the HOF, but he has 3 rings,soooooooo....automatically great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasperX22 said:

Why is Aikman even being brought up in here?  Aikman had (1), maybe (2) top 5 QB seasons in his entire career if I'm being generous.  He is probably the most celebrated mediocre QB in the history of the NFL.  If he was drafted and played on any other team than the Cowboys nobody would even remember who he is.  He has no business being in the HOF, but he has 3 rings,soooooooo....automatically great.

If you want to go that route, then lets also talk about the most overrated QB of all time in Terry Bradshaw. 

2 MORE TDS for your career than INTs. And he may have been surrounded around the most talent of all time on both sides of the ball. How many HOFs did they have? 

I bet TB isn't even remember if the Steel Curtain doesn' have 4 SBs. I don't even have him in my top 25 QBs of all time. 

18 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

If you want to go that route, then lets also talk about the most overrated QB of all time in Terry Bradshaw. 

2 MORE TDS for your career than INTs. And he may have been surrounded around the most talent of all time on both sides of the ball. How many HOFs did they have? 

I bet TB isn't even remember if the Steel Curtain doesn' have 4 SBs. I don't even have him in my top 25 QBs of all time. 

Bad argument.  Now I agree with you that Terry is very overrated in his own right, but passing offense was highly suppressed in the era in which Terry Bradshaw played.  Being a 50/50 passer and TD/int ratio says more about the era in which he played than Bradshaw himself.  The year Bradshaw was named a 1st team AP Fran Tarkenton led the NFL in passing and also threw 32 interceptions in that season.  Bradshaw was consistently an above avg QB in his era with a couple borderline elite seasons in his era.  He's overrated, but Aikman is far more overrated imo.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 11:00 AM, CasperX22 said:

It wasn't meant to derail the thread like it did.  I was just bringing him up because he fit the example of how Elway's career was viewed in retrospect vs in real time.  Before widespread statistical analysis, Aikman was revered.  Now, not so much.  I wasn't attempting to throw his hat in the ring with the original 3 any more than the comment I was responding to was attempting to throw Vick, Manning, Mahomes, Brady or Montana into the mix.  They were just names used for context.  

On 3/28/2024 at 12:49 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

Was Aikman really an eye-test guy though? He never seemed super impressive to me besides the accuracy, which was a bit overblown. It was more of "he's a winner" type stuff.

A little.  The arm and accuracy were always talked about, while the numbers didn't always match up.  I agree that both were a bit overblown, but that was the narrative around him.  I should've highlighted it, but I was speaking more to the second portion of your post than I was the pure eye test part.

"Before statistical analysis was widespread, he was revered; with context, not as much. Still a very good QB, but not in the pantheon of non-Brady/Mahomes/Manning/Montana QBs like Favre and Marino." 

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned Aikman.  Not that he was on the eye test level of Elway or Vick.  I didn't realize he was such a lightening rod prior to mentioning him.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...