INTS 15 

YPC 7.52

John Elway 

Yards 3,463

TDs 21.6

QB Rating 84 

INTS 13.3 

YPC 7.37 

I'm not at all shocked that Dan Marino and Brett Favres numbers are almost identical. Marino with more passing yards, but also more INTs, and less TDs (By 1) 

I am shocked that John Elways numbers aren't better. Like he's comforably lower and is largely considered in the same tier as these other two as a top 10 QB of all time on most lists. 

Elway was a pure eye-test guy. He was impressive, if inefficient. Somewhat similar to Vick with the Falcons. Before statistical analysis was widespread, he was revered; with context, not as much. Still a very good QB, but not in the pantheon of non-Brady/Mahomes/Manning/Montana QBs like Favre and Marino.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:00 AM, HerbertGOAT said:

Elway was a pure eye-test guy. He was impressive, if inefficient. Somewhat similar to Vick with the Falcons. Before statistical analysis was widespread, he was revered; with context, not as much. Still a very good QB, but not in the pantheon of non-Brady/Mahomes/Manning/Montana QBs like Favre and Marino.

This is true.  Same thing with Troy Aikman.  During his prime, he was mentioned with the elites, now he gets spoken of almost like a joke.  The way Elway's career gets viewed is really elevated by the way it ended, too.  

15 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

This is true.  Same thing with Troy Aikman.  During his prime, he was mentioned with the elites, now he gets spoken of almost like a joke.  The way Elway's career gets viewed is really elevated by the way it ended, too.  

Was Aikman really an eye-test guy though? He never seemed super impressive to me besides the accuracy, which was a bit overblown. It was more of "he's a winner" type stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 11:49 AM, HerbertGOAT said:

Was Aikman really an eye-test guy though? He never seemed super impressive to me besides the accuracy, which was a bit overblown. It was more of "he's a winner" type stuff.

He feels like basically a little better than what Tom Brady was his first 3 SBs. 

4 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

He feels like basically a little better than what Tom Brady was his first 3 SBs. 

Brady was way better by his 2nd and 3rd Super Bowls than Aikman was. Especially in comparison to peers. By 2004 Brady was considered the best QB in the league after Manning and that wasn't an uncommon opinion. In 2003 he got 16% of the MVP votes and was probably considered a top 3 at that time as well, certainly as that season developed. Even by 2002, Brady led the league with 28TD's. Aikman never in his career had more than 23TD's and the season he did that was the only season he had more than 20. Brady's lowest season with TD's was 2001 with 18. Troy only surpassed that twice in his career. 

People need to remember, Aikman was legitimately on the last actual Super Team the NFL has ever had. He's better than the people that call him a game manager, but he still was closer to being along for the ride.

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, lancerman said:

Brady was way better by his 2nd and 3rd Super Bowls than Aikman was. Especially in comparison to peers. By 2004 Brady was considered the best QB in the league after Manning and that wasn't an uncommon opinion. In 2003 he got 16% of the MVP votes and was probably considered a top 3 at that time as well, certainly as that season developed. Even by 2002, Brady led the league with 28TD's. Aikman never in his career had more than 23TD's and the season he did that was the only season he had more than 20. Brady's lowest season with TD's was 2001 with 18. Troy only surpassed that twice in his career. 

People need to remember, Aikman was legitimately on the last actual Super Team the NFL has ever had. He's better than the people that call him a game manager, but he still was closer to being along for the ride.

Do those numbers take into account the average passing TDs per season? Remember it was already more of a passing league. We are talking 10 years later... 

Aikman was considered top 5 in the league during those years No? I know you had Steve Young, Brett Favre, John Elway to name a few off the top of my head. 

Brett Favre was actual magic during his prime. I feel like Marino had higher peak, but "prime" and then you go 7 year window for your example. I think it'd be right for Marino to be #1, but man Favre was magic and I voted him. Like back to back to back MVPs with a ring is an insane guy to not pick to be your best "prime".

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Trojan said:

Brett Favre was actual magic during his prime. I feel like Marino had higher peak, but "prime" and then you go 7 year window for your example. I think it'd be right for Marino to be #1, but man Favre was magic and I voted him. Like back to back to back MVPs with a ring is an insane guy to not pick to be your best "prime".

I agree for Favre....I think if Mike Holmgren would stay in Green Bay after 1998,Favre would been much better in the 2000s especially in the playoffs

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trojan said:

Favre had arguably the best 4-year run for a QB in NFL history from 1994-1997. It's wild how many people overlook that.

He threw a few too many interceptions in 1998 to include and say a 5-year run, but he led the league in completions, yards, and completion percentage that year as well.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2024 at 1:54 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

Do those numbers take into account the average passing TDs per season? Remember it was already more of a passing league. We are talking 10 years later... 

Aikman was considered top 5 in the league during those years No? I know you had Steve Young, Brett Favre, John Elway to name a few off the top of my head. 

The gap between the 90's and first 4 years of the 2000's wasn't that different imo. 

Aikman played until the year 2000. It's not like he didn't have plenty of years close enough to Brady to have a shot to consistently outdo Brady's early years in his prime. Especially when you compare who Brady was throwing to

• Like 1