Was Barry Bonds being blackballed the biggest travesty in MLB history?

mission27

Was it?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Tbh

• Yes
    • I'm Joe Morgan

Shoeless Joe Jackson was far more egregious in my opinion. There's way too much evidence that he was completely taken advantage of. 

With Bonds you really do need to look at the context of the time. Bonds was probably the most hated man in baseball and it was at the fever pitch of the steroid obsession with the media. He was probably the most obvious cases of someone who was on steroids as his number had dramatically jumped to several whole levels above what he used to be. I don't think there was anything to add to his legacy and him being in there was just bad for him and bad for league. Maybe he shouldn't have been forced out, but anyone with any common sense would have just left on their own accord at that time. He was such a pariah by that point that and a symbol of something the league wanted to move away from that it was just time for him to go. 

9 hours ago, lancerman said:

I don't think there was anything to add to his legacy and him being in there was just bad for him and bad for league. Maybe he shouldn't have been forced out, but anyone with any common sense would have just left on their own accord at that time. He was such a pariah by that point that and a symbol of something the league wanted to move away from that it was just time for him to go. 

What he could've done, if he'd stuck around a few more years, was put the home run record completely out of reach forever.  And in particular put it out of reach from ARod who at that point was the golden boy, thought to be steroid free, who was going to eventually break the record and save baseball from big bad Barry.  You may recall that offseason ARod signed a large contract with a bunch of bonuses for breaking various home run milestones, including Bonds record.  But if Bonds plays another year or two, and gets to 800+ homers, that record would've been nearly untouchable.  That's what Bud wanted to avoid and that's why he had to go, among other reasons. 

And him being there may have been bad for MLBs narrative on steroids but it wasn't bad for the millions of fans who were watching arguably the GOAT hit home runs.  Would it be good for the league to have pushed out MJ over gambling rumors or football to have blackballed Brady after Deflategate?  Guys like Bonds come around once every 50 or 100 years.  Stupid to push them out of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived