Larry Fitz in a better spot.

Mossburg

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that people take for granted that better teams = better production from a stud player. I just don't think that is the case. At least not with regards to regular season production. Yes, he probably would have had an even greater post season profile based on more opportunity, but I don't know that putting him on the Pats for all those years significantly increases his actual numbers. 

I think it would have.  Tom Brady has played with two elite weapons in his career - Rob Gronkowski and Randy Moss.  Both of those guys put up amazing numbers in the regular season.  Even though Brady spreads the ball around as well as anyone, he always got Moss and Gronk a ton of targets.  Or lets say Larry Fitzgerald played with someone like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers.  Throw Drew Brees in there as well.

But I think this can be said for plenty of guys.  If you give Randy Moss - Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc his numbers would be better than they currently are as well.

^Actually I'm not 100% sure on the Moss point.

While Moss played on inferior teams and with inferior QBs, pretty much every team he played on was focused around his strengths and had a super live arm QB to take advantage of it. While I think Moss would be viewed a better player and would have had a more successful career if he player with an elite QB, I don't think purely from a regular season statistical perspective he'd put up THAT much of monster numbers. I can't say the same for Fitz though as I don't think he was lucky enough to always play in offenses that took advantage of his skills, and basically had 3 years where people thought he was finished and might retire until Arians brought back the vertical game that has helped him on the underneath routes so much. Basically Moss with Brady would be a bit better for Moss, Fitz with Moss would be significantly better for Fitz, especially when it comes to TD numbers because he'd see so many more red zone opportunities.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I think it would have.  Tom Brady has played with two elite weapons in his career - Rob Gronkowski and Randy Moss.  Both of those guys put up amazing numbers in the regular season.  Even though Brady spreads the ball around as well as anyone, he always got Moss and Gronk a ton of targets.  Or lets say Larry Fitzgerald played with someone like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers.  Throw Drew Brees in there as well.

But I think this can be said for plenty of guys.  If you give Randy Moss - Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc his numbers would be better than they currently are as well.

I do think it would have helped, I just don't know that it would have been as significant as people think. 

11 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

^Actually I'm not 100% sure on the Moss point.

While Moss played on inferior teams and with inferior QBs, pretty much every team he played on was focused around his strengths and had a super live arm QB to take advantage of it. While I think Moss would be viewed a better player and would have had a more successful career if he player with an elite QB, I don't think purely from a regular season statistical perspective he'd put up THAT much of monster numbers. I can't say the same for Fitz though as I don't think he was lucky enough to always play in offenses that took advantage of his skills, and basically had 3 years where people thought he was finished and might retire until Arians brought back the vertical game that has helped him on the underneath routes so much. Basically Moss with Brady would be a bit better for Moss, Fitz with Moss would be significantly better for Fitz, especially when it comes to TD numbers because he'd see so many more red zone opportunities.

If Moss played with Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, he would have over 200 receiving TD's in his career imo

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

If Moss played with Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, he would have over 200 receiving TD's in his career imo

I think that's definitely a possibility, but I would bet against it. He put up monster TD numbers as is, he was doing it at a higher rate than Rice. The problem was not enough games played.

Archived