Khanlin Pre-draft press conference

Reserving for quotes.

Feels good about the draft and opportunities for the draft at 20.

Tomlin mentioned that the coaches jump on the moving train from scouting as soon as the season ends and gave them kudos on their work to make it easy.

Tomlin said they don't feel overly thirsty for any certain position.

Khan said the 'strengths are still the strengths' as it comes to perception of the draft.

Khan saying visits are important for medical, player, coach interactions.  Understanding their feelings on taking a certain role in the NFL.  Tomlin saying its great to expand upon what they have and haven't been able to visit in other chances through the process.

Asked about C - Khan said it's important and that he likes guys flexibility on the roster. Followed up on the class.  He said there's a handful, more, that will be starters year one.

Tomlin talking about how 7 on 7 has changed the development of WR and DB more than the past and it's something to look for.

Still ongoing....

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

Tomlin - each day of the draft is a reset, it's not a 72 hour process.  It's exciting when you prepare right.  Feels like you come back the next morning fresh.

Khan - Senior Bowl is a great experience and the scouts helping Tomlin know who to watch is important.

Khan doesn't put pressure on himself to match last year, just maximize every pick.

Tomlin and Khan said they aren't trying to ID 1st rounders at Pro-Days.  Most likely they will end up at Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia because of how many players they have in the draft.  It's more about focusing on the lesser known guys.

Arthur Smith was brought up and was said he jumped in really nicely, he knew all the players because of being a coach, that his learning curve was more about what the Steelers look for rather than who was good at what.

Cont.

Tomin was bluntly honest when asked about Fields Pro Day and said he will regularly just meet and talk with players he isn't interested in for a smoke screen.

Khan said there wasn't an effort to not trade down in the past, but the feeling has been you don't pass up talent, but he's open to anything if it's right.  Tomlin said 20 is regularly a good trade spot because that's where playoff teams know they can realistically get to.

Khan said there's been regular strategy meetings for the hypothetical trades and knows what the value for the move is and he's had regular contacts with all GM's.

Khan said won't close the door on any player at any position if the right guy is there.

Cont.

BPA vs Positional value - Khan said it hasn't changed.  If someone is there you just need to take them and figure it out.

Khan corrected the record of they don't do formal mock drafts, but they work through all the options of what can happen.  Tomlin said they mock it for themselves, they aren't trying to nail player to team.  They do it by 20 best players or so.

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Tomlin said 20 is regularly a good trade spot because that's where playoff teams know they can realistically get to.

I like that.  I can see a trade down unless the OT that they want is there

Asked about traits of OC's - Tomlin talked about intellect and understanding of fronts.  Wants something like the background of having done it in practice, or even a little bit in the game.  Said that physical traits are just a starting point. Says he can tell when guys are practicing what their intellect ability is like, how they talk to other guys, mentioned that by the time visits come around they know what the ability and are just confirming.

Tomin said the kickoff rule was why they signed Corderelle Patterson.

Khan said - directly to CB's - they are focused on wanting to use the draft and FA's are considered not part of the team for building.

Khan said Andy is the one that more runs the draft.

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Can we talk about how big this nugget is?!? Andy is the one that runs the draft board for them and he's the one giving them the players to pick from.  This sounds like such a big change.  

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Can we talk about how big this nugget is?!? Andy is the one that runs the draft board for them and he's the one giving them the players to pick from.  This sounds like such a big change.  

More of the truth we have always know coming out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

More of the truth we have always know coming out

It was interesting and I don't know if they were aware they were doing this, but they kept saying "nothing's really changed" then following up with "but now we do this".

59 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Asked about traits of OC's - Tomlin talked about intellect and understanding of fronts.  Wants something like the background of having done it in practice, or even a little bit in the game.  Said that physical traits are just a starting point. Says he can tell when guys are practicing what their intellect ability is like, how they talk to other guys, mentioned that by the time visits come around they know what the ability and are just confirming.

Tomin said the kickoff rule was why they signed Corderelle Patterson.

Khan said - directly to CB's - they are focused on wanting to use the draft and FA's are considered not part of the team for building.

Does this push us away from Barton most likely? Or does he have more experience at center than I'm aware?

11 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Does this push us away from Barton most likely? Or does he have more experience at center than I'm aware?

He played there his freshman year.  From what I understand he also called most of their protections despite being a LT.  I think it actually pushes him more into being the pick.

• Like 1

Just now, warfelg said:

He played there his freshman year.  From what I understand he also called most of their protections despite being a LT.  I think it actually pushes him more into being the pick.

Isn't this the case for most of the OC they would be considering then?