2024: Defense

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/8/20/24224712/chiefs-news-steve-spagnuolo-defensive-injuries-concerning

we haven’t had our “starting Defense” play any real snaps all together this training camp. Spagz seems really concerned about it we’ve got two corners, a safety, MLB, and DT all out. Spagz hasn’t thrown out the possibility of finding some more help at corner, nobody has established themselves as the starter next to McDuffie

I thought we’d honestly take a look at Gilmore. But he’s with the Vikings now. Not sure what’s out there for FA but we have to remember teams don’t love trading with us.

On 8/21/2024 at 6:54 AM, EMAW_KSU said:

I thought we’d honestly take a look at Gilmore. But he’s with the Vikings now. Not sure what’s out there for FA but we have to remember teams don’t love trading with us.

What you'd expect, at this stage. The old and unhealthy. Xavien Howard, J.C. Jackson, Steven Nelson, Patrick Peterson, Eli Apple, Adoree Jackson, Akhello Witherspoon. No one out there who played a meaningful amount of snaps last year that isn't 30+ or knocking on the door of it. No overly appealing options. Respectable bandaids, but that's about it.

18 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

What you'd expect, at this stage. The old and unhealthy. Xavien Howard, J.C. Jackson, Steven Nelson, Patrick Peterson, Eli Apple, Adoree Jackson, Akhello Witherspoon. No one out there who played a meaningful amount of snaps last year that isn't 30+ or knocking on the door of it. No overly appealing options. Respectable bandaids, but that's about it.

I thought Gilmore could have made a difference. And considering nobody right now seems to want to be CB2…maybe one of those old guys could help cheaply to chase a ring. I said it last year and it looks like more of the same this year. I really feel like Watson and Williams have regressed since their rookie year. Whether that’s playing less instinctively, more tape so teams know how to attack them…not sure.

I personally am pretty concerned with our defense. I know we kept it vanilla, and we had some injuries, but the defensive backfield gave up a number of big plays that just didn’t happen last year, and that’s concerning.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I thought Gilmore could have made a difference. And considering nobody right now seems to want to be CB2…maybe one of those old guys could help cheaply to chase a ring. I said it last year and it looks like more of the same this year. I really feel like Watson and Williams have regressed since their rookie year. Whether that’s playing less instinctively, more tape so teams know how to attack them…not sure.

Maybe. The trouble with vets like Gilmore, bouncing from team to team at the end of their career, is it's a kind of Russian roulette situation. Eventually he'll hit a wall, it's just a question of when. And you don't want to be the team paying him $7M when that happens.

Have to disagree on Watson/Williams, though. There's really no grading or metric or data to back that up. PFF was higher on both guys last year. They did better from a coverage stats perspective. Both guys had lower completion percentage, yards per target, passer rating against, fewer missed tackles, compared to their rookie years. Jaylen Watson allowed .3 more yards per catch, but that's about it. I wasn't fond of Williams his rookie year, actually. Thought he played well last year though. I think they just aren't shiny and new anymore, so they're being evaluated as prospective starters instead of as 4th and 7th round picks. Which is just a different standard to grade them on. Like, Jaylen Watson's pick 6 could've been the only thing he ever did, and that would've been better than 90% of 7th round picks. It's different when we're questioning how he can handle being a full time starter outside.

I personally am pretty concerned with our defense. I know we kept it vanilla, and we had some injuries, but the defensive backfield gave up a number of big plays that just didn’t happen last year, and that’s concerning.

I still think we're fine, personally. Won't be as good as last year, but that was never likely. Offense won't be as bad as last year, so it'll balance out.

Like, I don't think preseason is completely useless. It's still valuable for evaluating individual players in a game scenario. Like I do have concerns about FAU because he's not winning one on ones against backup OL, and that's something he should be able to show in preseason. Or on the flipside Steele has clearly looked incredibly impressive and won himself a roster spot and snaps in rotation, IMO. But something like, we're allowing too many big plays, is way too vague for a preseason takeaway, for me. You can't really evaluate a unit or an element of the game in preseason, because the whole thing isn't there. If there is a certain player missing too many tackles, or a certain DB not keeping up in coverage, that's something worth talking about. But that's not really the case here, or at least that's not how you're characterizing it. "The defensive backfield" giving up too many plays doesn't matter when it's not the actual defensive backfield. Reid has played 0 snaps. Cook has played 9. Watson got a good amount this last game, but clearly just to make up for lost time. McDuffie's at 16. Williams is at like 34. And none of these snaps included Jones or Bolton. The leader at all 3 levels of the defense have not played this preseason. We're not running team specific gameplans. None of our usual coverage rotations or blitz packages. Like, if we ever see a nickel set in a real game with Kelvin Hayden, Chamarri Conner, Jaylen Watson, Deon Bush, and Jaden Hicks, yeah, we're probably screwed. But that's not really news, is it?

One on one matchups are valuable insight, to me, in the preseason, because they translate to the real thing. A WR should be able to win against a CB regardless. Your LT should be able to hold up in pass pro whether it's preseason or regular season. But team and unit wide evaluations just aren't reliable. You can't judge the run game when Mike Caliendo plays 50+ snaps or a pass defense led by Kelvin Joseph or a passing attack coordinated by Chris Oladokun. And the same goes for the other teams. If you have a specific concern, Jaylen Watson looks slower in coverage or Chamarri Conner is missing too many tackles to play in nickel sets or Mike Danna isn't holding up at the point of attack (none of these are actual observations to be clear, just examples), then okay. But, the defensive backfield is allowing too many big plays is not a meaningful sentence in the preseason.

20 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Mike Caliendo plays 50+ snaps or a pass defense led by Kelvin Joseph or a passing attack coordinated by Chris Oladokun.

I’ve seen enough of Oladokun to know he’s not worth a practice squad spot. 

I guess it’s just hard to look at the product we put out this pre-season and think…3 peat loading. Going to have to just go one game at a time with my brain I suppose.

12 hours ago, Chiefer said:

FAU is slowly heading into Bust territory 

I’m not there yet, I think once we get the line fully back we’ll see better performance. Having a threat next to you should give you more opportunity to create pressure…HOPEFULLY

I would agree that FAU is not a bust yet. Edge is another position that can be hard to master. The staff likes his progress which is enough for now. Still, the pass rush worries me more than the secondary

Much is made of the CB2 situation since no one grabbed the job during camp. That should have been an expected possibility. Sneed was the best DB in the NFL last season. replacing him is not going to be easy. Williams, Watson, Conner, and likely one other player will each pick up pieces of his role. 

We have injuries in addition to the loss of Sneed and Gay. A refit and readjustment period is inevitable. Two things are certain--we are fast and we hit.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I’m not there yet, I think once we get the line fully back we’ll see better performance. Having a threat next to you should give you more opportunity to create pressure…HOPEFULLY

I said slowly heading, he’s not a Bust yet. But if you’re riding the bench you’re entire rookie season, and next season you can’t make any plays against backups and still have a slower get off than a 30 year old NT, that’s not a great sign. 

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Ok, so I’m not a huge fan of this person, and now it has been a bit.  But I know a while back CJ was still pushing for him. But do we think Shark would take league minimum to rotate pass rush?

He was a healthy scratch more often than not across two teams last year. Not sure he has anything left.

• Like 1

FAU, I’ll wait to see how he looks once we start getting more creative.   Disappointing preseason, but I think he has a toolset Spags can get creative with.  I’d rather he just get a majority of snaps early to see what we have. 

Secondary I’m more than fine with,  it won’t be last year.. but we have plenty of guys to mix and match by opponent/playcall.

Oladokun won’t ever make the 53,  but I like him on the PS.   Can do some things to help the Defense prepare for opponents.