2024: Special Teams

I miss Football Outsiders. They had the best coverage of Special Teams. 

In 2024 there are major changes in KO rules. Many more returns are expected. The Chiefs add Xavier Worthy to Isiah Pacheco. It says little about coverage but the returns look interesting.

XW is a good potential PR as well. Let us not forget where Tyreek Hill made his first impressions.

10 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Really? It looked like the job was Araiza's to lose.  

Rekhow is second in NCAAF history in career yards per punt. Was top 10 in college football three years running. Third last year. Just got over-shadowed a bit by Tory Taylor because nobody punts quite like Iowa does.

8 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Rekhow is second in NCAAF history in career yards per punt. Was top 10 in college football three years running. Third last year. Just got over-shadowed a bit by Tory Taylor because nobody punts quite like Iowa does.

That works. 

On 4/29/2024 at 5:15 AM, onejayhawk said:

I miss Football Outsiders. They had the best coverage of Special Teams. 

In 2024 there are major changes in KO rules. Many more returns are expected. The Chiefs add Xavier Worthy to Isiah Pacheco. It says little about coverage but the returns look interesting.

XW is a good potential PR as well. Let us not forget where Tyreek Hill made his first impressions.

KO will be interesting  ...

How do teams approach the new rules as there is no blueprint?

Guess the preseason games will see a lot of testing of different approaches  .. aggressive, defensive  ..
And I guess the teams right now are running lots of simulations  ...

I'd probably have a High School team with a couple of ST coaches go at it to just get accustomed to the rules, and how to play with them ...

Edited by KC_Guy

13 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Pops and Xman are up there too. Speed kills.

I’m guess Pops is Pacheco? I highly doubt we see our starting RB on special teams.     ST is more than speed,   Make one/two guys miss and you’re free,  that is something KT was made for.   I’d like to keep Xavier away from KR’s personally,  those guys can take a beating.

25 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I’m guess Pops is Pacheco? I highly doubt we see our starting RB on special teams.     ST is more than speed,   Make one/two guys miss and you’re free,  that is something KT was made for.   I’d like to keep Xavier away from KR’s personally,  those guys can take a beating.

Why not? He earned it during his rookie season.

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

Because he’s the starting RB?  You don’t risk injury for ST’s 

So what? 

With the new rules, I expect two players deep and Pacheco is likely one of them.

As good as Pop was, Clyde also made a mark. He's no longer the 1st-round icon but he's also a very solid RB. I think Pacheco is still KO return duty.

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Pops and Xman are up there too. Speed kills.

add the Rugby guy ... he's fast as well, and used to take a beating without armor

6 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

add the Rugby guy ... he's fast as well, and used to take a beating without armor

plus elusive and hard to bring down. 

His name is Louis Rees-Zammit.